Thread: Eightfold path

Eightfold path

Hi Jundo.

I was wondering what the Treeleaf interpretation of the Eightfold path is. In what ways is the Eightfold path practiced according to Treeleaf Sangha.

Is there anything that you recommend?

Thanks.

Gassho Will

Hey Will,

Good question. As I was recently reading the new book, Basic Teachings of the Buddha by Glenn Wallis, I was wondering the same thing. Along with the Precepts, Verse of the Kesa, 4 Great Vows, and Heart Sutra, I am interested in what our sangha's "take" on the 8-Fold Path will end up being.

Gassho,
    Keith

Hello Will,

The Practice of the Eightfold Path is closely tied to the Practice of the Precepts, and we will study them together in preparing for Jukai. For example, Right Action, Right Speech, Right Intention and Right View are living in accordance with the Precepts.

But, for now, living a life based upon Zazen ('Right Concentration') is the root of the other branches of the Eightfold Path, which all support each other and our Zazen Practice too. Thus, for example, Right Livelihood nurtures a peace of mind which supports our Zazen, while Zazen encourages us toward Right Livelihood.

Fundamental docrines of Buddhism such as the Eightfold Path, the Four Noble Truths, the concept of Dependent Origination are all fundamental to Zen Buddhism too, and we will get to looking at them around here.

Gassho, Jundo

PS-By the way, I hope to have a selection of 'Official Treeleaf Chants' to you in the next few days, as you requested.

I feel I should give a better answer to your question on the Eightfold Path, and not wait. Please allow me a few day though, as I am swamped! :-)

Gassho, J

I feel I should give a better answer to your question on the Eightfold Path, and not wait. Please allow me a few day though, as I am swamped!

Gassho, J
    Please. Take your time

Thank you for your answer.

Gassho Will

Hey Again,

I have decided that I will give a series of talks on the Blog on the Eightfold Path. I will do it as soon as we finish Fukanzazengi (in a week or two) and before we start Genjo Koan.

How many talks will I give on the Eightfold Path? At least 8!

Gassho, Jundo

Hi jundo. Thanks.

I know your swamped, but I have a pretty important question about my practice.

I sent you a pm.

Gassho Will