Thread: Jukai

Jukai

Forgive my "newbyness" if this has already been covered but I am interested in Jukai. I have never been through a precepts ceremony but I consider myself a Buddhist (and have felt that way for several years). I realize that ceremonies are not magic, but nonetheless they are a formal and public declaration of something that might previously have been private and tentative.
    I would be curious to know what Jundo and the group thinks about Jukai's place in one's practice.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Jukai ceremony is just a celebration of your living the Precepts right now and now and now. The Precepts, I believe, all come down to this:

Live as you can so as not to harm others, not to harm yourself ... and to know that there is ultimately no separation there.

If you are living like that, you have already "received the Precepts".

However, we will have a special course of study of the individual Precepts in the coming months, sew a Rakusu (something I have never done myself), and then a Jukai ceremony. It will be, as far as I know, the world' first cyber-Jukai. Maybe combine it with a special retreat period, also online.

Gassho, Jundo

We will have a special course of study of the individual Precepts in the coming months, sew a Rakusu (something I have never done myself), and then a Jukai ceremony. It will be, as far as I know, the world' first cyber-Jukai. Maybe combine it with a special retreat period, also online.
    I hadn't heard about this. I look forward to it.

Gassho.

Jundo

We will have a special course of study of the individual Precepts in the coming months, sew a Rakusu (something I have never done myself), and then a Jukai ceremony. It will be, as far as I know, the world' first cyber-Jukai. Maybe combine it with a special retreat period, also online.
    Will this be on the blog Jundo?

Quote Originally Posted by will
    Jundo

Will this be on the blog Jundo?
    The Jukai will be done with great care and attention. There will be nothing left out, no corners cut, merely because we are to undertake it all over the internet.

As for the Precept studies: I am thinking that it will run something like the book club, with special readings and discussions ... a Precept at a time over a series of weeks. Perhaps a Precept each week. Everyone undertaking the Precept studies will be obligated to make a daily posting, not just weekly (as with the book club). It will be an opportunity for study and reflection.

For sewing the Rakusu: there is someone in my lineage who is truly an expert on Rakusu and Kesa sewing, and I am hoping that I can persuade him to teach that part. That would be partly in writing, partly video, partly a section of the forum where people can offer tips and advise.

There will be a multi-day "Sesshin" leading up to the ceremony. It would be in the format of a simulcast from our Treeleaf Zendo, netcast "live" 24 hours, on a multi-day basis, from the sitting room. Of course, people will be sitting at home, and in different time zones. So, I would post a sitting schedule and upload talks, plus work assignment and the like. Meeting with me by video during the Sesshin, several times, will be encouraged. People would follow the schedule at home, and listen to the talks and perform the work assignments, on the honor system. For working folks, it would be a "commuter's Sesshin," meaning that it would work around, and incorporate, existing work and family obligations. I am thinking, as much as possible. to make it a silent retreat, however, and to ask people to cut out an non-essential entertainments for the week (tv, hobbies, newspaper reading, etc.). Also, we would have a special study of Oryoki eating and other Sesshin practices.

The ceremony itself would be a simulcast, live (I have the capacity for that), as if all members were in the same room. Yes, some folks will probably have to do it at 3am their time. It would be recorded for others (non-participants) to view later.

This may not happen, however, for a few months. I want the community to develop and continue to jell first. However, I am determined that this community will come to have everything that a wood and bricks Zen Center has, so we will figure out how to do this all together, as a Sangha.

Anyway, that is my existing idea. Input is welcome.

Gassho, Jundo

Jundo thank you for this great opportunity.

Gassho

Yes thank you. I agree, it sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Also, it sounds like it will require a major commitment and much dedication. I hope to be up to the task.

Gassho,

Greg