Thread: Saving all beings?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Saving all beings?

Okay, I'm up way too late, but I'm on a tear (had open house at school tonight), so I'm getting all my postings in at once!

One version of the Verse of the Kesa says:

“Vast is the robe of liberation
    A formless field of benefaction
    I wear the Tathagata’s teaching
    Saving all sentient beings”

One version of the 4 Great Vows says:

“Sentient being are numberless, we vow to save them all.
    Delusions are endless, we vow to cut through them all.
    The teachings are infinite, we vow to learn them all.
    The Buddha Way is inconceivable, we vow to attain it.”

I’d like to talk about the idea of “saving all sentient beings.” This seems to be an important theme in Mahayana Buddhism - the idea of the Bodhisattva saving all others before themselves. But, really, what does this mean? Does it have any meaning for you?

I read where Zen Master Seung Sahn said something to the effect that he had already saved all sentient beings and now it was up to his students to do the same. Does this imply that because he had attained some form of “enlightenment” he had saved all beings? Or that because he had saved his “self” (which is an illusion anyway, so he got rid of his own perception of self), he had saved everyone else’s self (which is also an illusion, and got rid of his perception of others‘ selves)? In other words he realized there was no difference between himself and others - that all is One.

Now I think that the idea of “saving” others is much different from the traditional Christian idea of saving souls from the fires of hell by accepting Jesus Christ (or perhaps to some Buddhists it IS similar - saving others from endless cycles of rebirth), but it doesn’t SOUND too much different.

Or is this one of those “Zen things” that we’re just not supposed to ruminate on and leave it that?

Hi all,

As I prepare for Jukai, I've been establishing a bit more of a formal home practice - and with the lines of "saving all beings" continually coming up in chants, I found this old thread to reflect on. Just wanted to bump it. A great dialogue between Jundo and some others here.

I also want to include Roshi Joan Halifax of Upaya's take on the first vow. She uses "creations" rather than beings, which includes concepts and labels - as well as "freeing" rather than saving. A fun reflection.

“Creations are numberless. I vow to free them.” What are creations? They are every thought, every feeling, every idea, every habit. They are beautiful. They are terrible. They are our bodies. They are this very world. How do we free them? On one level, we give them lots of space. We don’t cling to the creations of our mind…including the creation of “not clinging”. We allow all
    creations to be…including suffering. Can you liberate the homeless person who asks you for spare change from the idea of being a beggar? Can you liberate the murderer on Death Row from the label of “criminal”? Can you really let YOU be the unique, imperfect and interconnected you?"

Gassho,

ST

Tyler

This pdf-file contains a lot of versions of the 4 vows of different zen-schools and a word by word translation of the Japanese kanji :

https://villagezendo.org/wp-content/...owsVZ-ZCLA.pdf

Coos
    std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Quote Originally Posted by aprapti View Post
    This pdf-file contains a lot of versions of the 4 vows of different zen-schools and a word by word translation of the Japanese kanji :

https://villagezendo.org/wp-content/...owsVZ-ZCLA.pdf

Coos
    std
    Thanks for sharing Coos - all different and all the same. Simples.

SZIZTM la

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart