Thread: Dharma Chips and other Zen products

Dharma Chips and other Zen products

I know elsewhere someone mentioned the Target Department Store's "Zazen" brand of plates, and today I spotted this beer:

I thought this could be a thread for us to discuss & point out instances of the sometimes humorously misguided and sometimes maddeningly wrongheaded appropriations of Buddhist iconography and terminology.

Wow!!

pretty silly. I guess people are looking for new ways to incorporate "exotic" words and ideas into marketing. Our commerical and materialistic society is a real hoot.

how was the beer, lol?

- Greg

I kind of like the tech/culture blogs web zen and 10 Zen Monkeys but I've never been able to figure out what's so Zen about them.

I think the 2nd site also needs more monkeys. I was disappointed by the lack of monkey. :P

In France, there's a yogurt called "Zen"... Go figure.

Kirk

Wherever the next mediation is. Every now and then I make it back to Norfolk, England.
    There's Buddha sweets, Buddha Cafes, Buddha Air; can you imagine what would happen if the major figures of other religions had sweets, ice creams, cafes or whatever named after them?

And the word "Zen" in particular seems to be available for use by anyone who wants connotations of "Peace/ Cool / Exotic". The weekend before last we took the kids to a local amusement park where the map promised that one corner contained "Peaceful paths enabling you to experience a zen like calm". The reality of said zen calm turned out to be large numbers of children fighting over ice creams.

Gassho

Martin

There are Chinese "massage" parlours in Sydney called "Zen." I think it's a different type of "practice" however.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun
    There are Chinese "massage" parlours in Sydney called "Zen." I think it's a different type of "practice" however.
    one "happy ending" is as good as any other.

:wink:

R

Hey guys should I make this bag on Cafe Press y/n

y/n ~ yay

or you can save some ink (production money) by removing the Buddha and saying" at the Moment of enlightenment he was at one with everything, so he's invisible, but he's there."