Thread: Monday...

Monday...

Buddha
    dreaming in a shop window
    on a rainy day

I wish you all a happy week. Or maybe a sad. Vegetarian or not. Hardcore or not.

Monday

Mensch
    So so beautiful
    This image
    and your words

thank you

gassho

keishin

Quote Originally Posted by Hezzerball
    Reminds me of:

The Great Buddha,
    dozing, dozing,
    all the spring day
    Just looking at the photo, the obvious caption popped up most naturally. What seemed a perfect case of "haiku by accident", may actually include some unwanted inspiration – not uncommon in haiku writing.

I remember Shiki's spring haiku and its irresistible serenity now. Damn, I really believed I had gotten better at Haiku writing.:P

Great Haikus.! 8)

Mensch,

Beautiful image, I'll be saving that one to my hard drive.

Peace,
    Sean

Here is a bit of controversy for you all. Take the statue of the Buddha and smash it!

quote="Davidseon"]Here is a bit of controversy for you all. Take the statue of the Buddha and smash it![/quote]

No way! It is just to nice a piece of art to treat so rudely. I do agree that the whole cult of personality that has grown around the Buddha is ironic,considering that his whole message went against the idea of finding salvation in others or worship in general. But a Buddha statue can be a thing of beauty, and I'd rather appreciate beauty than destroy it.

Lovely picture, I'm currently using at the desktop image on my pc. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Davidseon
    Here is a bit of controversy for you all. Take the statue of the Buddha and smash it!
    No way! It is just to nice a piece of art to treat so rudely. I do agree that the whole cult of personality that has grown around the Buddha is ironic,considering that his whole message went against the idea of finding salvation in others or worship in general. But a Buddha statue can be a thing of beauty, and I'd rather appreciate beauty than destroy it.

Lovely picture, I'm currently using at the desktop image on my pc. . .
    When the two Buddha statues at Bamiyan were destroyed by the Taliban, the art lover within me thought "a waste", the student of history thought "a loss", the lover of peace within me thought "a tragedy" ...

... and the Buddhist voice spoke "All things are impermanent, even Buddha statues. Thank you, Taliban, for this profound Buddhist teaching." And I smiled and was at peace.

Gold Buddha statues, if you are attached to them, are not Buddha. Clumps of mud, if there is no attachment, are Buddha. I think.

Gassho, Jundo

I actually gave a talk on this awhile back ... it, too, is impermanent, so catch it while you have the chance!

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2007/05 ... ddhas.html

When watching Jundo's recent video of Nishijima's apartment I paid great attention to his altar as the camera caught a glimpse of it. Why? Because I am currently – and reluctantly – arranging a proper altar myself: Shakyamuni, flowers, incense, lights – all the bells and whistles. Resigning from church at 18 I have been a proud atheist for 25 years, I abhor any kind of religion, during my practice I hardly care about the Buddha. So what's the use of that lump of brass behind the incense holder?

Very simple: Just as any idol it's inspiring a sense of community. While bowing to the Buddha I know Jundo is bowing to the Buddha, Gudo is bowing to the Buddha, so is Brad, so are my fellows at the local Zen Community, so are you, and Maitre Kosan in France, just as little Suzuki bowed and the homeless Sawaki bowed and Dogen bowed. With all these people bowing to the Buddha and thus to each other all questions and ideoloigies disappear – leaving only a tremendous sensation of gratitude.

The experience simply beats my scruples. :wink: