Thread: Jundo: The Best Response to Terrorism - Don't be Angry or Terrified!

Jundo: The Best Response to Terrorism - Don't be Angry or Terrified!

There has been another tragic act of violence in the world today. I would just offer this, as I also offer Metta and Peace to all victims of violence everywhere:

Remember that the best response to "terrorism" is not to be "terrified", and to react with Peace. Do not react in anger, only adding more anger into the world If we are "terrified" and angry, then the "terrorist" get his or her wish.

I just listened to a fairly good podcast on public radio "Invisibilia" about how folks in Denmark are responding to terrorism and angry Islamic youth with kindness and welcome. They are having mixed results, but a surprising amount of success in quieting the anger.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...away-from-isis

If I may link to an old talk from a few years ago, a day of another act of violence ...

The real "enemy" here is human hate, violence, divisive thinking, and the fear in our hearts.

The smartest reaction by a society would be to take whatever security and police action is necessary to respond, but otherwise say "is that so?" and turn the other cheek and get on with life. Then the terrorists fail. I know that doing so would take a level of responsibility and maturity probably beyond the media, politicians and average citizens in western democracies right now.

Let us sit and offer Metta for all victims of war and violence ... and keep calm.

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: The Wise Response to Terror - Staying Calm -

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...r-Staying-Calm
    Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-28-2017 at 11:24 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo. Sitting tonight & metta for all those affected

Gassho
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banto (aka Rodney)
    万磴 (Myriad StoneSteps)

Mp
    Yes, this makes my heart cry ... I have dedicated my evening sit and sending much love and metta to all who suffering and are affected by such acts.

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

I just read about this. And the response in Denmark. I'm very sad for the loss of life and will offer Metta when I go sit in a few minutes.

It is my hope that people will see past the divide and find our connection as a species. I'm just not sure if that is possible with the current level of partisanship in the world.

What can we do to bring people together in the current political climate?

Gassho,
    Paul

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Metta for all.

Thank you Jundo, the story from Denmark was very compelling.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Metta to those who suffer

Gassho
    Doshin
    Sattoday/LAH

Just read the horrible news. Metta to all victims and sufferers.
    Sitting for them tonight.

Gassho
    Washin
    SAT

Much Metta to victims and those who are suffering

Gassho,
    Taiyo

SatToday/LAH
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

I was out in Manchester last night but I didn't understand the reason for the sudden police presence until I got home and read the news. This morning there will be many traumatised parents and young people. The charity I work for will play an instrumental role in providing support to those affected. I will try to offer some additional time and energy to deliver this support in the coming weeks.

Jundo - I couldn't agree more. Thank you for expressing this so clearly. There will be anger and division. No doubt it will also be a convenient tool for the various election campaigns. My heart and mind is with the individuals affected, not excluding anyone. May we all play our part in promoting peace and solidarity.

Gassho,
    Enjaku,
    Sat LAH
    援若

Thank you, Jundo. A horrible attack.

Election campaigning has been suspended for the time being but it is almost inevitable that some parties will seek to use this to sew division and mistrust.

With much metta to the people of Manchester
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/LAH-

Thank you Jundo,

Our nine year old granddaughter was at a similar concert/venue at the weekend. My heart breaks to think of young people being killed/hurt in this latest atrocity.
    Will I worry - feel fearful in the future - yes, of course. Our human instincts are primed to feel fear and also protection towards our loved ones.

I think where meditation has helped is that fear doesn't necessarily attach itself to anger.

Metta to all affected in Manchester,

Gassho

Willow

sat today

I just heard on the radio that after an appeal for O-negative blood donors in Manchester, people are queuing out of the doors and prepared to wait for long periods to donate.

Always good to remember there are so many more people wanting to help and support others than there are those wanting to do harm.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/LAH-

Thanks for that Kokuu.

Willow

Thank you Jundo.

I went to be with this news (and other terrible ones from South America). All I can say we can only move forward with compassion and open heart.

Sitting for all the victims of war and terrorism.

Gassho,

Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Sat last night and this AM for victims of violence.

That story about the program in Denmark reminded me how, in the discussion with David Loy, we talked about activism in Buddhism--saving people one at a time from the river can also help others from falling into the river in the first place!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

I just read that children as young as eight years old were killed in this. It is so hard, but we must keep a peaceful heart. A peaceful heart that breaks. Poor children.

Yes little girls doing little girl things, teenyboppers enjoying a concert, probably being silly with their friends, ugh ugh ugh. I imagine there are some little girls suffering pain and distress in hospitals right now too, and am sending them and their families as much Metta as my heart can muster.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Devastated by this news but Jundo is right the only way for these people to "win" is folk to be terrorized, so hard given the ages of the victims of this atrocity. Life will go on as it did in London and elsewhere in the UK during the late 60s and 70s when the IRA were active but at least back then warnings were given unlike nowadays. Its a sad world we live in. Last week my daughter and granddaughter were at an Iron Maiden concert in Leeds, about 40 miles from Manchester for those not aware. If this had happened there I don't think I would be able to turn the other cheek. So all I can do for now, is to sit for the victims and offer metta............at a loss to say more.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Saw this on the news this morning. So devastating. Deep metta to those affected.

Gassho,

Jakugan

Sat Today

My heart breaks for the children, their families and everyone involved.

Even so, we must not forget that in the Buddhist way of seeing, there are no "bad people", only people who themselves are victims of their own anger and divisive thinking which causes them to do bad acts. I know it is is hard to see, but the real culprit is the desire, anger and divisive thinking that causes someone to harm innocent children, and that even the harm doers are victims of that. (That does not mean that society is not justified in taking action to prevent or punish such people, only that we do not meet anger with anger ... and we see the real cause as not the persons, but as a kind of disease).

I am going to ask all our people joining in Lend-A-Hand-LAH to do something this week to bring even one more small drop of peace and unity into this world. Also, something to help children in need.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-23-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    My heart breaks for the children, their families and everyone involved.

Even so, we must not forget that in the Buddhist way of seeing, there are no "bad people", only people who themselves are victims of their own anger and divisive thinking which causes them to do bad acts. I know it is is hard to see, but the real culprit is the desire, anger and divisive thinking that causes someone to harm innocent children, and that even the harm doers are victims of that. (That does not mean that society is not justified in taking action to prevent or punish such people, only that we do not meet anger with anger ... and we see the real cause as not the persons, but as a kind of disease).

I am going to ask all our people joining in Lend-A-Hand-LAH to do something this week to bring even one more small drop of peace and unity into this world.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Agreed, thank you Jundo. I will do my part in trying to bring peace right here in my own commuity and through that, maybe we can come together and stop such acts of violence around the world.

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

I have no words. Much metta. My heart goes out to the victims of this.

Gassho

Risho
    -sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Remember that the best response to "terrorism" is not to be "terrified", and to react with Peace.
    Thank you for this, Jundo.

Gassho
    Matt
    SatTodayLAH

Today I met with the first client who actually witnessed the incident, no doubt the first of many traumatised young people. She is a young lady who was at the concert but fortunately avoided the blast.

She said, "I'm sure like everything it will get easier with time, plus I know I'm not the only one feeling like this today".

Enjaku,
    Sat LAH
    援若

Quote Originally Posted by Enjaku View Post
    Today I met with the first client who actually witnessed the incident, no doubt the first of many traumatised young people. She is a young lady who was at the concert but fortunately avoided the blast.

She said, "I'm sure like everything it will get easier with time, plus I know I'm not the only one feeling like this today".

Enjaku,
    Sat LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mp

Enjaku,
    Sat LAH
    Good to know that you were there to help her Enjaku.

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Enjaku,
    Sat LAH
    Thank you for your good works

Gassho
    SattodayLAH

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today/LAH

Enjaku,
    Sat LAH
    Yes thank you Enjaku and no doubt this is very difficult for you too, so please remember your Sangha is here sitting with and for you

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

And I just saw several other stories about children suffering in the world today, from hunger, as refugees, caught in war ...

Let us Sit and recall all the children. Perhaps consider to offer some LendAHand LAH to children in need, close to home and around the world ... perhaps Unicef, Save the Children ...

https://www.unicef.org/

https://www.savethechildren.net/

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-25-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Hi Folks,
    An attack happened in my city Jakarta late last night and I've been following terrorism professionally for some years, so I'll make some comments.
    Our teacher Jundo is spot on. As a strategy, terrorism is designed to sew terror in the populace. That's what makes it efficient; a little effort in comparison to a big impact. Don't give them what they want.
    One goal of such attacks is to provoke hatred between Muslims and non-Muslims. So let's do what we do best: show compassion and understanding.
    I'm not espousing a Pollyannaish attitude to security. We need airport checks. We need to lock our doors.
    We just don't need to let it get to us
    . As I said to folks after the detonation of the Bamiyan statues of the Buddha: we don't like it, but it's more a tragedy for archaeologists and historians than it is for Buddhists. We hope the aversion, anger and delusion that led them to do these things, blowing up statues and self-detonation, will be dispelled.
    Gassho
    Tom
    SatLAH

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Hi Folks,
    An attack happened in my city Jakarta late last night and I've been following terrorism professionally for some years, so I'll make some comments.
    Our teacher Jundo is spot on. As a strategy, terrorism is designed to sew terror in the populace. That's what makes it efficient; a little effort in comparison to a big impact. Don't give them what they want.
    One goal of such attacks is to provoke hatred between Muslims and non-Muslims. So let's do what we do best: show compassion and understanding.
    I'm not espousing a Pollyannaish attitude to security. We need airport checks. We need to lock our doors.
    We just don't need to let it get to us
    . As I said to folks after the detonation of the Bamiyan statues of the Buddha: we don't like it, but it's more a tragedy for archaeologists and historians than it is for Buddhists. We hope the aversion, anger and delusion that led them to do these things, blowing up statues and self-detonation, will be dispelled.
    Gassho
    Tom
    SatLAH
    So true Tom, thank you.

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Joyo
    Peace and metta to all victims of war and violence.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

I've come to feel that the list of victims of any terrorist attack includes the terrorists themselves. No purer expression of suffering than terrorism. Peace, Love, Metta to all victims--innocent, and guilty.

Gassho,
    Taylor
    SatToday
    a bee / staggers out / of the peony.
    -matsuo basho

Quote Originally Posted by tlsk View Post
    I've come to feel that the list of victims of any terrorist attack includes the terrorists themselves. No purer expression of suffering than terrorism. Peace, Love, Metta to all victims--innocent, and guilty.

Gassho,
    Taylor
    SatToday
    Gassho,
    Paul

Sat today LAH

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk