Thread: A Little Assignment for Today: Tell Someone What They Mean To You

A Little Assignment for Today: Tell Someone What They Mean To You

Dear All

A long time Leafer, someone I had not spoken with for some weeks, suddenly emailed me this morning the following:

"I'm practicing gratitude by taking time to let the people in my life know how much they mean to me and how much they've impacted my life."

He then proceeded to express some very nice feelings about me and this Community, which truly touched me. It was really nice. It also got me to thinking about what a nice thing it is for all of us.

So, here is a little "homework" assignment for all Treeleafers: Tell at least one, and maybe several, people in your life what they mean to you, how they have impacted your life, and how much gratitude you feel. You can do so in person or, if not possible, by an email or on the phone. Call or write some folks "out of the blue" as a surprise. Do it today, or as soon as you have some time.

Before doing so, of course, take a couple of minutes to really think about how this person has touched your life. Maybe it is something you will just realize now, thinking about it for the first time.

I bet that you will make the person's day, and also realize a little more how much richer your life is because of such people. Tell a few folks in your life.

If you want, please post here, in this thread, some stories about how it goes.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-02-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Dear All

A long time Leafer, someone I had not spoken with for some time, suddenly emailed me this morning the following:

"I'm practicing gratitude by taking time to let the people in my life know how much they mean to me and how much they've impacted my life."

He then proceeded to express some very nice feelings about me and this Community, which truly touched me. It was really nice. It also got me to thinking about what a nice thing it is for all of us.

So, here is a little "homework" assignment for all Treeleafers: Tell at least one, and maybe several, people in your life what they mean to you, how they have impacted your life, and how much gratitude you feel. You can do so in person or, if not possible, by an email or on the phone. Call or write some folks "out of the blue" as a surprise. Do it today, or as soon as you have some time.

Before doing so, of course, take a couple of minutes to really think about how this person has touched your life. Maybe it is something you will just realize now, thinking about it for the first time.

I bet that you will make the person's day, and also realize a little more how much richer your life is because of such people. Tell a few folks in your life.

If you want, please post here, in this thread, some stories about how it goes.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    _/|\_

Mp
    Lovely practice to engage in, I will do this today. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

I love this practice, going to start right away.

Gassho
    Paul

Sattoday

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thank you, will do immediately! _/\_

SatToday

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Very nice. Thank you Jundo (and anonymous Treeleafer)!

Also, as a little reminder, if you want to share a story from this experience (or any other practice or engagement in the world), but wish to do so anonymously, you can invoke Gojo Bodhisattva by sending a message to: gojo@treeleaf.org.

Gojo-san will share your story in the Engaged Center.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I will do so today but just to add to this.....

Just last week I was moved to tell my son (age 13) just how profoundly he has affected my life. I am known to be pretty guarded in my emotions so am sure I surprised him. I actually teared up a bit although I don't think he noticed. We hugged afterward. I don't want him and I to become distant as he progresses through his teenage years so reaching out to him is important to me.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

Thank you for this Jundo.

Gratitude practice is part of my daily life. But speaking directly to people is something else. Will do this too.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you Jundo. A lovely way of putting compassion into practice by enabling others to appreciate their importance to us. In Scotland we are stereotypically awful at expressing warmth and at both giving and receiving praise. I shall nevertheless brave the suspicious glances and follow the example you propose!
    Gassho
    Cathy
    Sat today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Gassho,

Cathy

Sat today

Jundo,

What a wonderful practice. I love to write cards and send postcards to people, something we rarely receive anymore. I have a few letters that need to be written.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

Joyo
    Thank you, Jundo. What a good idea!

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Great idea!

Gassho

Risho
    -sattoday

I decided that, in our family, we are going to make a dinner of this.

Not just going around the table once, we are going to go around and around for the whole meal, each person in the "game" thinking up something new to say in gratitude to each other person at the table.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Beautiful reminder!! Thank you, Jundo

Gassho,
    Taiyo

SatToday
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Thank you Jundo; I have lots of gratitude to express
    Gassho,
    Jyūkatsu
    sat today
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

What a beautiful idea, simple and profound. I shall try to put this into practice every day.
    Gassho
    Sat with you all today

Thank you for this, Jundo

Gassho
    Washin
    st

Yesterday I had the opportunity to thank a health care professional who is caring for my family. There have been more than could be counted through the years. I also extend the deepest gratitude to those who fought for and established a humane and enlightened health care system. It was a long fight that began in the prairies decades ago, until it became a national social contract.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Working on this, one being at a time. Just sent my daughter a text that she will get upon awakening tomorrow, wishing her luck on a big test and telling her she means the world to me.

While I'm at it, you all here at Treeleaf mean the world to me. Deep bows and thank you for your practice
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    While I'm at it, you all here at Treeleaf mean the world to me. Deep bows and thank you for your practice
    And you too me! ... and I second your post, Treeleaf is truly an extended family that is dear to my heart, very grateful for all of you! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

To you all at Treeleaf

SAT TODAY
    Shozan

A beautiful reminder. I am going to do one person daily. I cycle loved ones in my meta practice, it will be a great way to enfold them into my practice.

Gassho,
    Seido
    SatToday
    The strength and beneficence of the soft and yielding.
    Water achieves clarity through stillness.

Ansan
    Thank you, Jundo. A very lovely suggestion & "homework." I will begin right now by thanking you, all of the Sangha, and for the inspirational forum. I will add this to my practice on a daily basis...there is so much and so many to be thankful to and for.

Gassho
    Ansan

SatToday

This is lovely and very good practice for me in particular. We English are not so good at expressing our emotions effusively!

That said. thank you all for being here. You are an incredibly important part of my life.

Kokuu
    -sattoday-

In my personal life, I try to thank people often, due to my background and personal history of loss (don't always get a second chance). I will say again, here, that TreeLeaf is my primary spiritual community, I view you as my extended family, and I care deeply about all of you. I'm not one to share myself with people, but i do share myself here (really, it's quite unusual). Wherever i am, TreeLeaf is with me. I am grateful for all that you are in my life. ♡♡

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Thank you, Jundo, for this wonderful homework.
    I told my mum, how grateful I am for all the different things she tought me, from piano playing, dealing frugally with money, sewing, being creative and resourceful to installing lights and using a drill.
    That was not easy for me because the relationship is sometimes challenging for me but I could tell she was really touched and happy ☺
    I will tell my partner more often that I am grateful as I am critising him a lot 😶
    I tell my son everyday how grateful I am for him being in my life and how much I live him (he is 5).
    I will try to incorporate this practice into my everyday practice.

Gassho 🙏

Marion

Sattoday

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by beginningagain; 05-04-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Thank you, Jundo.
    I only read this today so will begin by thanking everyone here for always being supportive and encouraging. My practice has grown in ways I didn't expect from my interactions with my Sangha family. I'm grateful beyond words.
    Deep bows,
    Entai
    #SatToday

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

Thank you Jundo.
    Thank you all members of TreeLeaf.
    This wonderful idea is on my 2do list for tomorow (is a bit late night right now...
    Hope it will give great pleasure to some people I love dearly and it certainly will give great pleasure to myself.
    Thank you again. You are all great !
    Gassho,
    Marcus

Did this yesterday - sent a text message to a friend and told him some of the things I value about him and our longstanding friendship. He responded immediately and was clearly touched. Tonight he told me he's been depressed and struggling with alcohol addiction. I think hearing that he's loved and appreciated probably gave him the confidence to open up. Made me wonder why I don't say these things more often...

Gassho,
    Enjaku
    Sat
    援若

Fantastic suggestion.

It's been studied extensively that expressing gratitude is a potent antidote to depression and sadness.
    Plus who doesn't like to hear that they are important and appreciated!?

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman...happiness.html

I told my wife and kids how much I love them and that they are perfect exactly as they are.

You guys are pretty awesome too. :-D

Gassho,
    Hoko
    #SatToday
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Sent an old friend a message today (hadn't really spoken in years) how much, through his kindness in times past, he had changed my life for the better. He had helped me in a time in my life that carried me to where I am today and I am grateful.

Clear and humbling experience doing so, truly special. Thank you for the direction.

Gassho,
    Billy
    SatToday

My wife thinks I am being creepy when I tell her how much she means to me. Not sure about this exercise.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Yes, I tell my wife often how much I love her, for she is, and always will be my best friend, our heritage, our understanding. Yet, for my daughter, this comes harder, and I have told her that I love her, that this is what I mean when I say it on the phone, and yet. I'm not sure she hears me, or maybe she has learned to see me through her mother when she says, I love YOU GUYS. So I will learn to see her through her mother who she has so much more in common with, and always, she will be my little girl.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Yes, I tell my wife often how much I love her, for she is, and always will be my best friend, our heritage, our understanding. Yet, for my daughter, this comes harder, and I have told her that I love her, that this is what I mean when I say it on the phone, and yet. I'm not sure she hears me, or maybe she has learned to see me through her mother when she says, I love YOU GUYS. So I will learn to see her through her mother who she has so much more in common with, and always, she will be my little girl.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho
    Hey Tai Shi,

Love comes in many forms and not just in words ... what we do supports what we say. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you Shingen.
    Gassho,
    Jyūkatsu,
    sat today
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

Love comes in many forms and not just in words ... what we do supports what we say. =)

Gassho
    Washin
    st

Hi all,

Yesterday we celebrated Mother's Day here in Mexico. I called my mom, told her how much she means and thanked her for all she has done.

She remained silent. Then told me I was weird and went on to talk about her soap operas.

That's me mom

Gassho,

Kyonin
    SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Hi all,

Yesterday we celebrated Mother's Day here in Mexico. I called my mom, told her how much she means and thanked her for all she has done.

She remained silent. Then told me I was weird and went on to talk about her soap operas.

That's me mom

Gassho,

Kyonin
    SatToday
    You and I have the same mother Kyonin. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hi all,

That's me mom

Gassho,

Kyonin
    SatToday
    Hilarious Deep bows Kyonin, you will not ever regret being a loving, kind son. I hope that at some point before my Mom died I told her how much she meant to me straight out like that, but I'm not sure I ever did.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Hi all,

That's me mom

Gassho,

Kyonin
    SatToday
    Lovely.

My dear, late mother was different. She is the one who would call me once a day, during her soap opera commercials, to ask me why I hadn't called HER in the last 24 hours to thank her for all she's done!

Oh, I really miss her.

Gassho, J

SatToday

PS - I exaggerate a bit. I was more like "once a month", and often during the nightly news.

My mother was a different type of cat. She would call me a Nazi and Hitler from time to time. That's no joke.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

In the great scheme of things, a sick cat might not seem too big a deal, but I want to tell you all how grateful I've been for your support, your kind comments and your lovely Metta this week on Insight Timer after I shared that my little devil cat Pepe was ill. He's making a good recovery and we are both feeling the love. I don't have the words to express my gratitude for this Sangha, but believe me when I say it's measureless. All I have to give is my thanks and a deep bow.
    Gassho

Sat with you all today

Ansan
    Gratitude to Hoko for suggesting an application called "Randomly Remind Me" (Deep bows, Hoko!) to send daily reminders to be grateful (and drink more water!).

Today was Dump Day. We live in a remote area of the desert in Arizona where there is no trash pickup. The lady that is the manager of the dump sits in the shade of a small open shack. She is usually cranky and curt (can't imagine why ) as she points out the large container where we should throw our refuse. It was 100 in the shade and the flies were insane today. After dumping our refuse, I approached her and she kept looking at her puzzle book and snapped "Yeah?" without looking up. I asked if I could talk with her for a minute. She looked up, her face harshly tanned from years in the sun. When I told her that we appreciated all her efforts and help, she seemed embarrassed and said that she doesn't really "do" anything but point...but she does so much more, including keeping a very messy location relatively orderly. She was still grumpy as I thanked her but as I walked away, she almost inaudibly said "it is nice to be appreciated though."

There are so many thankless jobs and I hope we can all find ways to tell them how much we recognize their efforts and help to keep us clean, safe, comfortable and alive.

Gassho Jundo and Hoko and all the Sangha for sharing.

Ansan
    SatToday

Today I turned 50 years old.

This morning before the day got started I sent a note to all of my family listing things in my life I am thankful for including a specific message to each one of them thanking them for being the people they are and what they've meant to my life. I wanted to share my gratitude with them before the day inevitably became all about me.

I'd also like to thank the Treeleaf Sangha. Since I have joined Treeleaf I have learned so much from each of you. Honestly I wouldn't have been comfortable sending my note this morning without the inspiring examples from people here. Thank you.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by awarren View Post

This morning before the day got started I sent a note to all of my family listing things in my life I am thankful for including a specific message to each one of them thanking them for being the people they are and what they've meant to my life. I wanted to share my gratitude with them before the day inevitably became all about me.

I'd also like to thank the Treeleaf Sangha. Since I have joined Treeleaf I have learned so much from each of you. Honestly I wouldn't have been comfortable sending my note this morning without the inspiring examples from people here. Thank you.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today
    Hey! We were born about 2 weeks apart, my 50th is Memorial Day weekend Happy birthday and thank you for your practice
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by awarren View Post

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today
    Thank you Warren and a Happy Birthday to you ... Good to have you here. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

To all our non-Birthday folks ... please recall that Zen folks do not quite believe in time!

Gassho, J

SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    To all our non-Birthday folks ... please recall that Zen folks do not quite believe in time!

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Love it! Besides, everyday and every non-day is your birthday. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today