Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY April 30th with DAVID LOY

ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY April 30th with DAVID LOY

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Zen teacher, philosopher, environmentalist, futurist and author DAVID LOY will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk NEXT SUNDAY April 30th, LIVE from Colorado and Treeleaf Tsukuba.

More about David ...

David Robert Loy is a professor, writer, and Zen teacher in the Sanbo Kyodan tradition of Japanese Zen Buddhism. He is a prolific author, whose essays and books have been translated into many languages. His articles appear regularly in the pages of major journals such as Tikkun and Buddhist magazines including Tricycle, Turning Wheel, Shambhala Sun and Buddhadharma, as well as in a variety of scholarly journals. David lectures nationally and internationally on various topics, focusing primarily on the encounter between Buddhism and modernity: what each can learn from the other. He is especially concerned about social and ecological issues. ... David Loy is one of the founding members of the new Rocky Mountain Ecodharma Retreat Center, near Boulder, Colorado. In addition to many scholarly papers and popular articles, Loy is the author of several books on comparative philosophy and social ethics, including:

The Great Awakening: A Buddhist Social Theory develops the social implications of Buddhist teachings for our understanding (and response to) collective forms of dukkha (suffering). Today the "three poisons" – greed, ill will, and delusion – have been institutionalized. There are discussions of poverty, economic development, and corporate capitalism; Buddhist perspectives on the war on terror, our criminal justice system, and the connection between Zen and war; and essays addressing technology, deep ecology, and our relationship with the biosphere.

Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution is a series of short essays that begins with the essential teaching of the Buddha: the connection between suffering and the delusive (sense of) self, usually experienced as a sense of lack. Subsequent essays discuss the implications for the ways we understand money, fame, karma, food, sexuality and romantic love, consumerism, ecology, war, and social engagement.

The World Is Made of Stories is a sequence of "micro-essays" and quotations that offer a new way of understanding Buddhism and a new Buddhist understanding of the Way, consistent with what Buddhism says about the human predicament and how it can be resolved. If the self is composed of the stories one identifies with and attempts to live, karma is not what the self has but what the sense of self becomes, as we play habitual roles within stories perceived as objectively real.

A New Buddhist Path is in three parts, which address the meaning of enlightenment, the nature of evolution, and the nonduality of individual and social transformation.

The festivities will begin at 11:00 am NEW YORK TIME SUNDAY (that is America West Coast 8:00am, Colorado 9:00am, London 4:00pm and Paris 5:00pm, all SUNDAY APRIL, 30th).

THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

Our sitting schedule will look like the following although please be prepared for some flexibility and the possibility to run a little long: perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by David for 25 minutes or so, and some Questions from our Treeleaf participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours.

I would like to fill our hangout(s) and show David a big turnout. Depending on demand, we will have one or two hangouts open for the event. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please email Jundo at jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com. I will try to fit in as many people as possible. It will be worth your time.

I will post immediately below more information on our Hangouts and a list of folks committing to attend.

Let's all get together to welcome David Loy! I believe this is his first experience with this kind of netcast Zazenkai, or with a "not bound by walls" Sangha like ours, so I would like to make a nice impression.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - It would be polite for those participating, in gratitude to the Teacher, to offer a little donation to David's project that he is working on now to get off the ground the ROCKY MOUNTAIN ECODHARMA RETREAT CENTER. They can use your help, Below is a link for donations and information about the Center, and I am going to ask all our Treeleaf members who benefit from David Loy's visit (not only the folks joining live, but those who will sit later or just listen to his words), to offer a donation for their upkeep there ...

Rocky Mountain Ecodharma Retreat Center brings Buddhism and Dharma back into the natural world where they originated, and fosters the clarity and compassion needed to better address the ecological crisis and its related social justice issues.

WE CALL THIS ECODHARMA

RMERC is a low cost home for spiritual practice, with an emphasis on practice in nature. We are a supportive place for deep practice, a place for meditation, retreats, workshops and Ecodharma; a place for learning from nature, teachers and other participants, and a place for discovering ourselves in a wild environment.

We bring Buddhism and Dharma back into the natural world where they originated, and in doing so, regain the connection and energy necessary to effectively address ecological and related social crises.

... and/or please purchase one or more of his books. They are unique in the Zen world.

Last edited by Jundo; 04-27-2017 at 12:42 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Google+ Hangout Information:

Dear All,

I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com).

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout. If there is additional demand, a few people will be on STANDBY for that group or we will open a second Hangout.

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT(s), AND TRY TO SEND OUT INVITATIONS ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS (as soon as I make sure David has gotten there.

The people for the main Hangout group are (as of now):

1- Taiyo
    2- Onkai
    3- Enjaku
    4- Jakuden
    5- Shugen
    6- Daizan
    7- Kyonin
    8- Shingen
    9- David Loy
    10- Jundo

Waiting: Caisson, Marie

Folks not in the 2-way hangout can also participate "ONE WAY" by watching the live netcast on the screen to be posted in this Forum and at our Google+ page.

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to David from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com) any question to David, and I will try to read him as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-30-2017 at 01:35 AM.

Very excited for this!! Are the times correct? ...
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-23-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Very excited for this!! Are the times correct? ...
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

You caught me mid-post before I could fix the time. It is correct now.

Lol sorry! I would like to participate two-way, please!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Mp
    Wonderful Jundo, thank you for making this possible. I will love to attend two way if there is space available. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-23-2017 at 02:10 PM.

"One-way" is still as usual, correct? If we are able to, we show up. I am putting it in my calendar and hopefully circumstances will permit one-way.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Joyo
    Thank you for setting this up, Jundo. That is a busy weekend for me, I will sit one-way, or if not possible I will sit later on with the recording.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Will have to sit with the recording as I have a family event at that exact time. Looking forward to it.

-James F

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you. I will be there one way. However if you end up needing a seat filled i can stand in. However one way is good

Doshin
    Sattoday

Thank you for arranging this, Jundo. The information and event sound wonderful.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Thank you for making this possible, Jundo

I'd like to participate two-way if there are seats available. Looking forward to the event.

Gassho,
    Taiyo

SatToday
    Last edited by Taiyo; 04-24-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

I will be available if there is a seat.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

This sounds Wonderful. I am available if there is an empty seat.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today

Thank YOU Jundo, and I have purchased one of Professor Loy's books. I'm just through the beginning material, and expect a fresh, new approach to my practice. I will make a small contribution as I can. I will follow one way, or by the recording. Again, thank you all at Treeleaf, my home Sangha, as you all make my practice possible. Deep Bows.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Thank you, Jundo. I would like to participate live, two-way, if there is a seat, and tech allowing.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Ansan
    Thank you, Jundo. I am currently reading David Loy's book and would certainly look forward to hearing him speak! Since I cannot depend on transmission here, I will sit one way.

Gassho
    Ansan

SatToday

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I will sit one way: looking forward to it. Thank you Jundo.
    Gassho

Jyūkatsu
    sat today

Hi Jundo,

Thank you for this opportunity. If there's a seat available, I'd love to be present.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi Jundo,

I'd really like to attend two-way if there's a seat.
    Either way, look forward to sitting with everyone.
    Gassho,
    Enjaku,
    Sat
    援若

This is great, Jundo. I will be sitting one-way.
    Thank you for making this possible.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat

Update, life takes me out of State this weekend so I will have to watch recorded. However, it looks like there are enough to fill the house.

I am sure this will be a good presentation!

Doshin
    Sattoday

Thank you for setting this up, Jundo.
    I will sit later on with the recording.
    I would love to join everyone in two - way, but i can't.

Gassho, Gokai
    sat today

Dear All,

I just posting the seating in the Hangout ...

The people for the main Hangout group are (as of now):

1- Taiyo
    2- Onkai
    3- Enjaku
    4- Jakuden
    5- Shugen
    6- Daizan
    7- Kyonin
    8- Shingen
    9- David Loy
    10- Jundo

Waiting: Caisson, Marie
    We have a couple of folks a bit unsure of availability, so still room on "waiting list" if you think you would like to join.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-30-2017 at 01:35 AM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, looking forward to Sunday. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-28-2017 at 02:44 AM.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Looking forward to this Zazenkai. Will try to participate one way but daughter and grand daughter birthdays spanning the weekend and their availability for birthday calls still unclear. So if needs be I'll catch up On Demand

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

You can add me to the waiting list/2nd room. Thanks for organizing this Jundo!

Gassho,

Caisson
    satoday

Thank you, Jundo. I'm looking forward to the Hangout.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Looking forward for this zazenkai

Gassho,

Kyonin
    SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you, Jundo! Looking forward to it

Gassho,
    Taiyo

SatToday
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Awesome! Thank you so much, Jundo. I will be there live, one-way.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

PS - Oh, an we will need some good questions from both One and Two-wayers. (Please wait to be inspired by the Talk, not now, but I hope you will have a few).

Gassho, J

SatToday

Thank you for this opportunity. It looks like I'll be there live one-way this time, since I see the two-way hangout is full.

Gassho,
    Marie
    sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Thank you for this opportunity. It looks like I'll be there live one-way this time, since I see the two-way hangout is full.

Gassho,
    Marie
    sattoday
    I will put you on the waiting list, Marie. Jump in if there is an open spot after we start. Gassho, J

SatToday

Mp
    Hello folks,

Please stand by ... we are just waiting for David to arrive and then I will post the ink for the event. In the meantime please just sit zazen. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Mp
    Hello folks,

All systems go ... here is the link to the event: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...eeqw3guovzykee

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Marie
    Sattoday

Thanks. Sorry I missed this thread earlier, I'm still trying to understand Tapatalk. I'm sorry that I won't be able to sit live, but will sit with the recording.

_/|\_

Mp
    Well, that was lovely! What a great discussion ... thank you Jundo for making this possible. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you, David Loy, Jundo, and everyone for this talk.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Thank you Jundo and everyone, and please continue to pass on many thanks to David Loy for a wonderful and thought-provoking discussion.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Great talk - lots to reflect on.
    As always, deep thanks to everyone for making this possible.
    Gassho,
    Enjaku
    Sat
    援若

Thank you so much, that was wonderful. He addressed many concerns. I emailed a thank you for David, but I don't think it went thru. Please send my gratitude.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

What a wonderful talk, so much to reflect on. Thank you so much to David for his time today.

Also big thanks to everyone who asked questions, what a fantastic discussion!

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

What a wonderful discussion! Thank you to David Loy, Jundo and everyone.

Gassho
    Washin
    st

Thank you. It was a very thought provoking and interesting discussion.

Deep Bows,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

That was great! Thank you Jundo for making this possible, and thanks to David Loy for his time, and for his thoughtful and inspiring work. Thanks to all for this practice together.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Thank you Jundo & David for making this talk possible. I found it captivating and inspirational, particularly David's last point that the bodhisattva concept manifests in social action. That is an idea I have been coming to myself and it is great and empowering for it to be given such an articulate expression. This echoes something Bernie Glassman said with regard to his work with the homeless being primarily for his own practice.(I'm paraphrasing because I can't quite remember the original quote.) I didn't know what he meant by this, I have worked with it and bit by bit it makes sense to me now.
    I appreciate your comparison with David Loy and Stephen Bachelor as two thinkers pushing the boundaries of Buddhist thought in the West.
    There is much food for thought here, particularly how progressive types like myself take forward social/ political action and avoid the many pitfalls. I will have to re-read David's book again.

Deep gratitude, Jundo, Treeleaf is truly a special place.

Martyn.

Sat today

PS Will make a donation.

Thank you David and Jundo. What a great talk. Tons to sit with

Gassho,

Kyonin
    SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you Jundo and David for putting this special Zazenkai together. It has been very helpful, leaving much to reflect and act on.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast