Thread: Our Next Book Selection: LIVING BY VOW

Our Next Book Selection: LIVING BY VOW

Dear All,

We are already past the middle of David Loy's short book, so a good time to announce our next "Wordless Book Club" selection ...

LIVING BY VOW
    A Practical Introduction to Eight Essential Zen Chants and Texts
    Shohaku Okumura

http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/living-vow

The wonderful Soto Zen teacher, Shohaku Okumura Roshi, looks at most of the Chants that one encounters around here at Treeleaf, such as the Heart Sutra, the Identity of Relative and Absolute, the Four Vows and Verse of Atonement and more!

From a review ...

Living By Vow written by Shohaku Okumura is a wonderful guidebook for any Zen Buddhist Practitioner. Master Okumura has brought the Zen Master out of Japan and into our living room as he weaves some of the common Soto Zen chants and text around the core Buddhist principals as reflected in the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path. Okumura uses his vast knowledge of the Japanese language, customs and culture, mixed into a blender with his years of experience teaching in the West to produce a book that is both practical and relevant for a Buddhist practice in the 21st Century.

Starting with the Bodhisattva Vows, Okumura covers 8 of the chants and vows most central to Soto Zen, and by extension, the Mahayana tradition. Within each chapter of Living by Vow, Okumura provides lessons based on his years of experience and understanding of Buddhist principals. As he gives us a history lesson of the meaning of the English, Japanese and Sanskrit words, and relating them to different legacy teachers interpretations and lessons, or his own, he is breathing new life into chants whose words can become stale over time.

As the title states, this is a practical book. Okumura is giving us direct instructions and ways and means that support all aspects of our Buddhist practice. From chanting, to meditation, to making the vows we take real and personal. Not just static words that are recited at a ceremony, but vows and lessons that we should take with us on our personal journey each and every day.

I would absolutely recommend this book for both beginners and advanced practitioners alike. It is a book that one will want to read many times for the important insights on the human condition and Zen practice it contains. If you desire to become more intimate with your Zen practice this book will become a regular source of knowledge and encouragement.

https://orderengagedbuddhists.com/20...living-by-vow/

Shohaku Okumura is a Soto Zen priest and Dharma successor of Kosho Uchiyama Roshi. He is a graduate of Komazawa University and has practiced in Japan at Antaiji, Zuioji, and the Kyoto Soto Zen Center, and in Massachusetts at the Pioneer Valley Zendo. He is the former director of the Soto Zen Buddhism International Center in San Francisco. His previously published books of translation include Shobogenzo Zuimonki, Dogen Zen, Zen Teachings of Homeless Kodo, and Opening the Hand of Thought. Okumura is also editor of Dogen Zen and Its Relevance for Our Time; and SotoZen. He is the founding teacher of the Sanshin Zen Community, based in Bloomington, Indiana, where he lives with his family.

(Gee, Okumura Roshi tends to be a bit media shy, but maybe I can try to get him here as a visiting Teacher for a Zazenkai? Let me see.)

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-31-2017 at 09:12 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks Jundo, look forward to this one.
    Gassho,
    Enjaku
    Sat
    援若

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Taiyo

SatToday
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Mp
    I too am looking forward to this, a great book. Thank you Jundo. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

yes!!!!! I love this book!

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

That would be wonderful if you are able to have Okumura-osho sit with us !!

gassho,

sattoday
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

I am looking forward to this.

Gassho, Entai
    #SatToday

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

Thank you Jundo. I'm looking forward to the discussion.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Joyo
    I just ordered the book. Thank you for this, Jundo. I am looking forward to reading this together with everyone here.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I also just ordered the book. This sounds wonderful

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Thank you, Jundo. I'm ordering the book.

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat

I've just placed an order for this book. I look forward to reading this with you all.

Gassho,
    Seth
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    That would be wonderful if you are able to have Okumura-osho sit with us !!

gassho,

sattoday
    Yes, indeed!
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

I have bought the book and look forward to following along with you all

I have ordered the book from the UK and hope it will be there in time to start reading it with you all ☺

Gassho 🙏

Marion
    sattoday

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

My copy just arrived. I can't wait to get started on this with you all!

Gassho,
    M.C.
    SatToday

Look forward to reading this together.
    Gassho,
    Jyūkatsu
    sat today
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

I have been practicing in the Korean tradition since I started sitting. Yesterday I was thinking about how the soto chants differ from the seon ones. It is like looking at the same flower from a different angle.

There is one chant that I mentally repeat at odd times throughout the day. It is Kwan Seum Bosal, a chant to the Bodhisattva of compassion. I found myself curious as to Soto having its own version of this chant. Then I remembered this book. I will be ordering a copy tonight to follow along with everyone.

Sat
    James F

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Anka View Post
    I have been practicing in the Korean tradition since I started sitting. Yesterday I was thinking about how the soto chants differ from the seon ones. It is like looking at the same flower from a different angle.

There is one chant that I mentally repeat at odd times throughout the day. It is Kwan Seum Bosal, a chant to the Bodhisattva of compassion. I found myself curious as to Soto having its own version of this chant. Then I remembered this book. I will be ordering a copy tonight to follow along with everyone.

Sat
    James F

Hi James,

I do not believe that this Chant is common is Japan, as far as I know. I like the Korean chants as they are a bit more musical than the Japanese chants, which tend to maintain a steady, monotonous beat ...

However, please do continue to chant so if this speaks to your heart.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Hi Jundo,

Glad I'm not the only one that feels the Korean chants are a bit smoother and melodic. At this point I am not sure if you could beat the Kwan Seum Bosal chant out of me.

Either way I don't want to derail the thread. Looking forward to this read and the discussions it will produce.

James F
    Sat
    Last edited by Anka; 04-20-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Hello all,

I have the book. I'm very much looking forward to reading it with everyone.

Gassho,

Michael

SatToday

I received my copy in the mail today.
    Just in time it would seem.

Gassho
    Patrick

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I received my copy in the mail today.
    Just in time it would seem.

Gassho
    Patrick

Sat today
    Lovely. I think we will start in a couple of weeks, as some folks are still with David Loy's book.

Gassho, J

SatToday

I've just started reading this, I'm really liking it and looking forward to being able to discuss it in this group. What a treat!

Sat with you all today,
    Gassho

I have decided this book is an excellent way to join back in with Treeleaf. I have been on the periphery and "Living by Vow" resonates for me as a real hurdle in more fully engaging in this practice.

Gassho,
    Jason

sat today

Eishuu
    I'm a bit late to this but I've just ordered the book and hope to join you all soon!

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    I'm a bit late to this but I've just ordered the book and hope to join you all soon!

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH
    Join in whenever you are ready!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH
    Yes. I close the threads every third week, just to keep us "on the same page", but no reason for you not to join in and comment on earlier chapters even in a later thread.

It is a lovely, rich book.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Eishuu
    Thanks Shugen and Jundo. I was just going to join in where you are up to but it would be great to go back and do the other the chapters too. I love his writing. I am reading 'Realizing Genjokoan' at the moment. Would love to study that in the book club one day...it's a lot to digest on my own!

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

Hello,

I have found with reading and even listening to dharma talks, sometimes it's better for me to not try and understand every little thing - just kind of let it sink in. A lot of the time, later on, something else I'm reading or listening to will pull things together and I find myself getting a glimmer of understanding. This really is a lifetime practice.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Eishuu
    Quote Originally Posted by Shugen View Post
    Hello,

I have found with reading and even listening to dharma talks, sometimes it's better for me to not try and understand every little thing - just kind of let it sink in. A lot of the time, later on, something else I'm reading or listening to will pull things together and I find myself getting a glimmer of understanding. This really is a lifetime practice.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday
    That's a good approach and attitude. Thanks.

Gassho
    Lucy
    ST/LAH

Mp
    Hello,

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday
    Nicely said!

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Hello,

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday

i was taught to do this when listening to a teisho.. don't try to understand it all, just let it sink in. Indeed, a lifetime practice it is..

Coos

std/lah

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Joyo
    Welcome Lucy!! And thank you, Shugen. =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Hello,

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday
    Wise words. Thank you.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Hi folks

I'm even later to the party, having order the ebook a few days ago, along with A Heart to Heart Chat on Buddhism with Old Master Gudo
    and Brad Warner's Sit Down and Shut Up and Hardcore Zen. Haven't read much this year as things seems to have been a bit crazy, so I thought it was about time to look beyond the Newcomers Series and Buddha Basics. Just going through the first couple of chapters and already enjoying the style and presentation of the dharma. Will jump in when I catch up with the current reading thread but can see myself returning to this book many times.

Gassho

STMIZ / lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Jump in whenever you are ready!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin-Do View Post
    Hi folks

I'm even later to the party, having order the ebook a few days ago, along with A Heart to Heart Chat on Buddhism with Old Master Gudo
    and Brad Warner's Sit Down and Shut Up and Hardcore Zen. Haven't read much this year as things seems to have been a bit crazy, so I thought it was about time to look beyond the Newcomers Series and Buddha Basics. Just going through the first couple of chapters and already enjoying the style and presentation of the dharma. Will jump in when I catch up with the current reading thread but can see myself returning to this book many times.

Gassho

STMIZ / lah
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼