Thread: Types of Incense

Types of Incense

Hey folks,
    Does anyone here use smokeless incense? ( It's not really totally smokeless right?) If so, what kind do you like best? Thanks!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mp
    Hey Jakuden,

I know these folks have a good variety of smokeless/less smoke incense ... and they are of good quality too. =)

https://www.nakayamabutsudans.com/co...-smoke-incense

These are some of my favs ... https://www.nakayamabutsudans.com/co...nse-200-sticks

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Incense is an ancient means to bring the olfactory sense into creating a sacred moment (and traveled down the Silk Road with the Rosary to be found in both Buddhist Temples and the Catholic Church).

However, some folks sensitive to incense (or the secondary smoke in a small room) light a stick, wave it in the air for a moment, then place it burning end down into the sand. Economical too, as one stick can last many sittings!

And some folks who are sensitive to incense use the totally invisible kind (which only burns in one's heart).

In any event, Japanese incense has nothing on many a Chinese temple I have visited!

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Shingen

Many thanks for posting those links. I've been thinking about incence and they seem reasonably priced. I was also interested in the butsodans as I've been considering making a small altar in my "zendo". Just emailed them about deliveries to France hope for a positive outcome.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin-Do View Post
    Shingen

Many thanks for posting those links. I've been thinking about incence and they seem reasonably priced. I was also interested in the butsodans as I've been considering making a small altar in my "zendo". Just emailed them about deliveries to France hope for a positive outcome.
    A Butsudan, Buddhist Altar, can be any space you open or make with your hands. Not necessary to buy.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    A Butsudan, Buddhist Altar, can be any space you open or make with your hands. Not necessary to buy.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    So true but ....................................

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Haha whoa that's some serious incense burning in that pic! I tend not to use incense most of the time or light a candle instead, as I am concerned about the effects of the smoke. I grew up with parents that smoked and figure I've had enough second-hand smoke in my lifetime. Thanks for the links Shingen.
    Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin-Do View Post
    So true but ....................................
    But what?

I received donation of a nice mid-size altar too, for our Zendo.

Some temple goods suppliers in Japan sell amazing altars at equally amazing prices! (A steal, marked down from $19,000.00)

https://www.nakayamabutsudans.com/co...ebony-butsudan

None of this as needed. On the other hand, there are worse things to blow some money on ... like a fancy car or the latest fashions.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Mp

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Agreed! I do not have a fancy alter or Butsudan, but I do have a place that is dear to my heart which holds everything. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

I don't have any recommendations on smokeless incense. But you could always try the essential oil kind. Something that you put a few drops of scented oil into with some water and it's heated by a candle underneath, or I think they make electric ones too.

I've never had any problems with incense before, but I realized that I am extremely sensitive to the Morning Star, I feel like I have a soar throat for days afterwards. I wound up settling for an Indian White musk, and I just cut the stick in half.

Gassho,
    Seido
    SatToday
    The strength and beneficence of the soft and yielding.
    Water achieves clarity through stillness.

But what?

I received donation of a nice mid-size altar too, for our Zendo.

Some temple goods suppliers in Japan sell amazing altars at equally amazing prices! (A steal, marked down from $19,000.00)

https://www.nakayamabutsudans.com/co...ebony-butsudan

None of this as needed. On the other hand, there are worse things to blow some money on ... like a fancy car or the latest fashions.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    But heck I was drawn to those cabinets as I appreciate the workmanship. The one in your link is a work of art but even at that price it would be way out of my league.

If I was tempted to actually buy something it would be a their very bottom end. Tealights and that Buddha picture behind me in my avatar pic will do for now.
    Last edited by Seishin; 03-27-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Hi guys,

In my local sitting group sometimes I get the visit of a friend who is allergic to incense. I always have a scented candle in my backpack just in case she comes.

Now that I think of it, there are a lot of allergic to incense people around here. Some of them use sachet, candles or even commercial air fresheners.

Personally I prefer incense, but one has to adapt.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

My wife is allergic to most incense smoke, so I bought an inexpensive essential oil diffuser which works great. My wife loves it, and you have the bonus of being able to experiment with different scent combos. I use this one, which cost about $20 US. It's cost effective too because for most oils, a couple of drops will have enough scent for several sittings.
    Gassho
    Nick
    Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks Nick, I hadn't considered that!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk