Thread: A Buddhist chef

A Buddhist chef

Hello all,

I'd like to recommend a TV documentary which is playing now on Netflix, about Jeong Kwan, a Buddhist nun from Korea who has become internationally famous for her traditional temple cooking. The show is Episode 1 of the third series of the show Chef's Table. Although the show is aimed at a foodie audience, it is very respectfully made and pays great attention to the philosophy and monastic life of monks and nuns in Korea. It also contains some wonderful nuggets on the role of food and cookery in monastic and lay Buddhist life and practice.

Sadly, you'll need to have access to Netflix in order to watch it, but if you don't have that, you can read about Jeong Kwan in either of the two following articles:

https://www.google.co.kr/amp/s/amp.t...android-lgu-kr

https://www.google.co.kr/amp/s/mobil...-chef.amp.html

Gassho,

Sat today

Peter

Sent from my SM-G935L using Tapatalk

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Kyotai
    Thank you. I'll look at it tonight.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Hi Peter,

You may be interested that there is a wondrous tradition of Shojin Ryori in Japanese Zen temples as well, some intricate dishes so amazing that I have actually done a double take thinking that some vegetarian creation served during a Japanese Sesshin was meat (it was a mushroom). I often wondered about eating an imitation that actually tasted like meat, but I suppose it is fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_cuisine

In any case, vegetarianism is not the requirement in many corners of Buddhism apart from China and some in Korea.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for the heads up, Peter!

I have that show on Mexican Netflix, so I'll give it a shot today.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Thank you Peter, will take a look. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hello Peter!

Thank you very much for the recommendation. I watched it last night and I found it really touching and motivational for my practice. Although personally I have this fear that the complete lack (as well as the excess) of animal protein and nutrients brings along health deficiencies in the long term, this episode really made me double think the benefits and especially the reasoning behind a vegetarian diet which I would like to incorporate more into my daily intake. I appreciate it.

Gassho
    Eduardo

~Everyday is Sat-today~

Thank you for the link I am going to have to take a look at it and comment back further. I have always loved cooking and I see cooking as meditation. A while back I sat out to really study Dogen's Instructions To The Cook and may one day as Jundo if we can look into it deeper. So this is right up my alley, as they say. Thanks again!

Gassho!
    Katherine
    Sat Today

Hello Katherine,

Here is a thread for you to look at.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...K-%28REPOST%29

An oldie but a goody...

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Shugen - Fantastic! Thank you! I will look at this tonight.

Peter - I watched this last night and it was very enlightening. I loved how they wrapped the story of her life in with the story of her food. And how even the simplest of meals can be a celebration. Thank you for posting this!

Gassho,
    Kat

Thank you for this link.
    Very nice reading, especially for me being vegan.

Gassho,
    Marcus

A truly lovely story, a great life, and a powerful tradition of cooking and teaching. Thank you for sharing.

A small concern on my part when the camera lens and a documentary maker can present idealized eye-candy of temples and beautiful scenery. It can become "postcard Zen" to some degree, presenting Shangri-la dreamy images of Zen monastery and wise monk. However, this type of cooking show is entertainment meant to whet the appetite, so I can understand the wish to do so. It was very beautiful and fascinating. Thank you for letting me know, as many of us would have missed it.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-23-2017 at 02:33 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi all,

I watched this last night. It was really beautiful. The filmography was very pleasant and really pretty. I wish Jeong Kwan spoke more about Buddhism, but hey, it's a cooking show!

I definitely have to watch it again.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

SOY SAUCE!!!!!

Great show, my wife and I have watched every episode. It really is a show about there passion, contrast Kwan's episode with Francis Malliman for example; the intensity and drive are clear - the the motivation and focus is very different.

Gassho!

SatToday
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Joyo
    I found it, it's on Canadian Netflix too. I plan on watching it soon. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Thanks for posting this. I watched it last night. It was LOVELY. I'd love to learn to make more "Temple Food."

Gassho,
    Michael
    Gassho,
    Michael

#SatToday / LAH

Thank you for sharing; I loved watching this so much

Gassho,
    Jyūkatsu
    sat today
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

Thank you for the suggestion. I enjoyed it.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Peter I want to add my thanks for telling us about this documentary, I caught up with it a few evenings ago and absolutely loved it, beautiful in every way possible.
    Thank you again
    Gassho
    Sat with you all today