Thread: Beginner question about Zazenkai

Beginner question about Zazenkai

Hello all,

I am interested in joining in the Zazenkai and I downloaded the chant book. On the first page of the chant book I see:

"Just prior to the beginning of the weekly and monthly Zazenkai, should you have already received the precepts (Jukai) and have a rakusu or in some cases a Kesa (for those ordained or with permission from their teacher)"

So I wonder if I should not join in until I have received the precepts and have a rakusu? I have tried reading over past forum posts to get my head around this but I haven't been able to figure it out, so I hope this is the right place to ask. Many posts lead me to think Zazenkai is encouraged for everyone to join, but the above quote from the chant book leaves me thinking I should wait until completing some steps.

I don't have any robes and I have not gone through the Jukai ceremony (which I think has just been done for this year and won't be starting again until late this year), and I'm still getting my head around how everything fits for me. I am currently sitting every day at home and doing one of Jundo's beginner videos before each sit. I just watched 15 on yielding (loved it). I hope someone can help me out on what is best practice and acceptable to the group. I was planning on joining in only one way (so not being on camera myself).

Gassho,
    Charity

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by coriander View Post
    Hello all,

I am interested in joining in the Zazenkai and I downloaded the chant book. On the first page of the chant book I see:

"Just prior to the beginning of the weekly and monthly Zazenkai, should you have already received the precepts (Jukai) and have a rakusu or in some cases a Kesa (for those ordained or with permission from their teacher)"

So I wonder if I should not join in until I have received the precepts and have a rakusu? I have tried reading over past forum posts to get my head around this but I haven't been able to figure it out, so I hope this is the right place to ask. Many posts lead me to think Zazenkai is encouraged for everyone to join, but the above quote from the chant book leaves me thinking I should wait until completing some steps.

I don't have any robes and I have not gone through the Jukai ceremony (which I think has just been done for this year and won't be starting again until late this year), and I'm still getting my head around how everything fits for me. I am currently sitting every day at home and doing one of Jundo's beginner videos before each sit. I just watched 15 on yielding (loved it). I hope someone can help me out on what is best practice and acceptable to the group. I was planning on joining in only one way (so not being on camera myself).

Gassho,
    Charity

SatToday
    You're absolutely welcome to join in! That rakusu stuff is what happens before the zazenkai for those who've had Jukai. Don't even worry about it. Just follow along the best you can and have fun.

Gassho,
    Zenmei
    #sat

What Zenmei said!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Yay, I'm glad to hear that. Thank you Zenmei and Shugen.

Gassho,
    Charity

SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shugen View Post
    What Zenmei said!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday
    Yuppers, just what Zenmei said. =) Zazen is beyond all those things, just come and sit ... this is what we ALL do together.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Yes, please come. Your Zafu awaits! See you there, Charity.

That sentence is just for folks who might have a Kesa or Rakusu.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks all, I'll be there

Gassho,
    Charity

SatToday

So what did you think Charity, some impressive dance moves here at Treeleaf, eh?
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! The dancing was a highlight for sure Great to see everyone dancing away... I was dancing at home too!

Gassho,
    Charity

SatToday

I always sit later with the recording. No jukai for me yet.

Although I do have a question. Has the chant book changed recently? The vow of atonement is different on the recording than what is in the book.

S@

Chelsea

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SeaChel View Post

Although I do have a question. Has the chant book changed recently? The vow of atonement is different on the recording than what is in the book.

S@

Chelsea

Thank you for pointing that out. It does look like the PDF version at least is out of date, when we were still talking "evil" Karma stead of "harmful acts."

We will fix that evil!

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Joyo
    You are always welcome, Charity. =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaChel View Post

S@

Chelsea

Hello Chelsea,

Thank you for making note ... if you like, here is a current copy if you would like to print out. It os for both the weekly and monthly zazenkai. =)

Chant Book Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oibXdfJcOd9_vhkQxOeftwCqwcIXSfV1175_1QYaOX8/edit?usp=sharing

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hello Chelsea,

Thank you for making note ... if you like, here is a current copy if you would like to print out. It os for both the weekly and monthly zazenkai. =)

Chant Book Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oibXdfJcOd9_vhkQxOeftwCqwcIXSfV1175_1QYaOX8/edit?usp=sharing

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    Thanks Shingen