Thread: January 20th-21st Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

January 20th-21st Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Should be some first time sitters from Tsukuba University coming. Shall we Dance Today?

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 8pm, Los Angeles 5pm (Friday night), London 1am and Paris 2am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS ARE POSTED AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 FOUR VOWS & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

What do you feel about dancing? The Heart Sutra by Gary Dyson ...

https://garyazukx.bandcamp.com/track/heart-sutra

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-20-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    What do you think about dancing?
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live and yes, I am would love to dance. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Yay, I will have to make sure to get out of work in time to dance!Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be there live one way with my boogie shoes on.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Hi Jundo!

If connection permits, I'll be there and probably a friend will join us here at home.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I'll be here/ there. Will cue the dance heart sutra with the intro line and single bell, then pick up again where it ends. Sound right?

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    I'll be here/ there. Will cue the dance heart sutra with the intro line and single bell, then pick up again where it ends. Sound right?

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today
    Yes Daizan ... open with the ringing of the bell section, then "The Heart of the Perfect of Great Wisdom Sutra" ... then music, then at the end ring the bell once, then "Hannya Shingyo" and the rest is the same. You got this brother. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you Jundo! I'll be there live one-way. Dancing sounds great!

Gassho,
    Marie
    sattoday

Thank you, Jundo. I'll join two-way, tech allowing. Looking forward to dancing.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

By the way, I usually mention for our Buddhist trivia collection ...

Gary Dyson is singing the Tibetan version of the Heart Sutra, which has some extra passages at the start not usually found in the Japanese-Chinese version, describing the scene and setting [Boldface] ... So, that is why the extra words at the start ...

The rest is about the same although, as a translation, it is phrased here in English to be a bit more prosaic.

Thus have I heard. Once the Blessed One was dwelling in Rajagriha at Vulture Peak mountain, together with a great gathering of the sangha of monks and a great gathering of the sangha of bodhisattvas. At that time the Blessed One entered the samadhi that expresses the dharma called "profound illumination," and at the same time noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, while practicing the profound prajnaparamita, saw in this way: he saw the five skandhas to be empty of nature. Then, through the power of the Buddha, venerable Shariputra said to noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, "How should a son or daughter of noble family train, who wishes to practice the profound prajnaparamita?" Addressed in this way, noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, said to venerable Shariputra, "O Shariputra, a son or daughter of noble family who wishes to practice the profound prajnaparamita should see in this way: seeing the five skandhas to be empty of nature. Form is emptiness; emptiness also is form. Emptiness is no other than form; form is no other than emptiness ...
    They have a little more at the end too, after the GATE GATE ...

GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
    Thus, Shariputra, the bodhisattva mahasattva should train in the profound prajnaparamita. Then the Blessed One arose from that samadhi and praised noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, saying, "Good, good, O son of noble family; thus it is, O son of noble family, thus it is. One should practice the profound prajnaparamita just as you have taught and all the tathagatas will rejoice." When the Blessed One had said this, venerable Shariputra and noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, that whole assembly and the world with its gods, humans, asuras, and gandharvas rejoiced and praised the words of the Blessed One.
    Please save that in mind for Buddhist Trivial Pursuit!

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-20-2017 at 11:59 PM.

I will not be able to make tonight, but will sit with the recording tomorrow. _/|\_

Mp
    Hello folks,

Here is todays event link if needed: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...nwgcznk4ihheie

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

I will sit with the recording this weekend.

Gassho,
    Hoko
    #SatToday
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Participating "one-way".

Gassho
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Joyo
    Thank you Jundo, Daizan, and everyone. Have a wonderful weekend.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, Daizan (good job by the way), and everyone for the dance-less dance. Enjoy the weekend. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

danced 2 day

Thank you all. Have a great weekend.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Thank you everyone. Have a great weekend.

Gassho
    Daizan
    sat today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all. Nice Ino job Daizan!

Sorry I had to duck out a few minutes early, something upset my tummy. Maybe all that dancing?

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Wow some great dance moves going on in the little boxes! Thank you, Jundo, Daizan and everyone!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

That was great! I loved the dancing Great timing for me to have dancing incorporated into zazen as I will be at a dance and lifestyle festival this weekend and I will be doing lots of dancing. I'm sure I'll find some meditation groups there too. It was great to sit knowing I was sitting with all of you.

Gassho,
    Charity

SatToday

Thank you dear Sangha

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Thank you for today's zazenkai. It was my first time sitting with you live and quite fun.

I thought you were kidding about dancing hee (I'm glad you weren't).

Gassho,

Jessie
    ~sat today~

Thank you all
    Have a great weekend
    Gassho

Rodney/Banto SatToday

Banto (aka Rodney)
    万磴 (Myriad StoneSteps)

This is what actual Sufi Dervish Whirling looks like ...

Even without the grace, I was just glad that I did not fall down or injure anyone for 30 minutes!

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-21-2017 at 02:58 AM.

This is what actual Sufi Dervish Whirling looks like ...

Even without the grace, I was just glad that I did not fall down or injure anyone for 30 minutes!

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Wow they just keep going and going...! Beautiful and mesmerizing!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

By the way, it is WHIRLING, not SPINNING as in the local community center ...

But that can be Zazen too in its way, with the proper non-gaining idea and such. All the world can be Zazen, thus we sit.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Sat today with the sangha live ("one way").

Jundo's short talk reminded me of this line from T.S. Eliot's poem The Four Quartets:

"At the still point of the turning world… there the dance is…"

Thank you, Jundo. Thank you, Treeleaf sangha.

Gassho,
    Matt

SatToday
    "You may wander all over the earth but you have to come back to yourself." --Jiddu Krishnamurti

Thank you all who sat and will sit.

Never forget to dance!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thanks everyone,

On the theme of dancing, this Zazenkai reminded me of my favourite youtube clip by Alan Watts / South Park.
    It's part of a short series, all available on youtube. Apologies if this has been posted already...

Gassho,
    Enjaku,
    Sat
    援若

Enjaku, thanks for sharing the video. I hadn't seen it before.

Jundo, did they give you all the outfit to wear too? It looks good how it flares out. I liked watching the footwork too--it looks tricky so it's impressive to hear you could all pick it up so fast.

Gassho,
    Charity
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by coriander View Post
    Enjaku, thanks for sharing the video. I hadn't seen it before.

Jundo, did they give you all the outfit to wear too? It looks good how it flares out. I liked watching the footwork too--it looks tricky so it's impressive to hear you could all pick it up so fast.

Gassho,
    Charity
    SatToday
    Ha. I whirled in running pants.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Enjaku View Post
    Thanks everyone,

On the theme of dancing, this Zazenkai reminded me of my favourite youtube clip by Alan Watts / South Park.
    It's part of a short series, all available on youtube. Apologies if this has been posted already...

Gassho,
    Enjaku,
    Sat
    Wonderful

But the dancing can include going to school and working in an office and career path when one see that right too.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-22-2017 at 03:39 AM.

Thanks everyone!

_/\_

Ade

Hello everyone
    I sat and danced with all of you and the recording of the last Zazenkai.
    I am always grateful to be able to share my practice with everyone at Treeleaf.
    I wish you a great week with much peace and lots of dancing.
    Gassho, Gokai
    Sattoday

Thank you
    Just sat and danced this one with you all.

Gassho
    Washin

Sat zazenkai today.
    Gassho,
    Hōkō
    #SatToday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Sat On Demand over the last couple of days. Just when I question what I'm doing here Jundo does something like this and I'm enlightened. Mad as a box of frogs . What would old Dogen think of all this i often wonder . Joined in the dancing as best I could, old man dad style boggie - your visitors looked so perplexed. I hope they come back.

Now if I could just find a hard rock version ......................

Many thanks and Gassho to all.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin-Do View Post
    Now if I could just find a hard rock version ......................
    Not my music, but hey ...

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-23-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Sure, but what about a klesmer version?

Gassho, zenmei
    #sat

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Jundo thanks for looking but man that's extreme even for me, I'm more the blues rock / classic rock / 80s metal kinda 60 year old. Now this does give me some inspiration, as my guitar playing and learning has been in the doldrums since early December, when I crushed the tip of my left index finger, while working on would you believe an outdoor Zen Garden / Zazen area. Bit of karmic comeback maybe. But think I've an idea for a new project.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Jundo thanks for looking but man that's extreme even for me, I'm more the blues rock / classic rock / 80s metal kinda 60 year old. Now this does give me some inspiration, as my guitar playing and learning has been in the doldrums since early December, when I crushed the tip of my left index finger, while working on would you believe an outdoor Zen Garden / Zazen area. Bit of karmic comeback maybe. But think I've an idea for a new project.
    Oh, then take you pick (beyond all preferences, of course!). There are very many, most featuring the Japanese Vocaloid Hatsune Miku ... some others too ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post168319

The Amida Studios rap is great, Buddha meets Eminem.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-24-2017 at 01:48 AM.

Oh, then take you pick (beyond all preferences, of course!). There are very many, most featuring the Japanese Vocaloid Hatsune Miku ... some others too ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post168319

The Amida Studios rap is great, Buddha meets Eminem.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Gassho, I'll take a look later today.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Gassho, I'll take a look later today.
    Yes, I see that a couple of new ones have been added since my last visit. The Scottish Heart Sutra (Hannya Shingyo in Japanese) ...

and a Samba (really funny in the Sergio Mendez middle part) ...

Heart Sutra with a Yo Yo ...

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-24-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks for the dancing and practice everyone. Smooth moves!

Chelsea
    Sat2day

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Lovely! Thank you all.

Gassho
    Kokuu