Thread: Celebrate Your Dharma Name

Celebrate Your Dharma Name

Once again I'll ask the question; "What do you think of your new Dharma Name?"

I enjoy doing this every new Jukai Ceremony. I watched you receiving the precepts and your new name. But, does it have to end there. I remember my feelings on that day and I'd like to hear what you think. Please share the kanji (Japanese Characters) and translation as you understand it. What does it mean to you and why you think Jundo chose it especially for you.

Gassho, Shokai

sattoday
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Once again I'll ask the question; "What do you think of your new Dharma Name?"

I enjoy doing this every new Jukai Ceremony. I watched you receiving the precepts and your new name. But, does it have to end there. I remember my feelings on that day and I'd like to hear what you think. Please share the kanji (Japanese Characters) and translation as you understand it. What does it mean to you and why you think Jundo chose it especially for you.

Gassho, Shokai

sattoday
    全 Zen
    明 Mei

All Bright. Or Complete Clarity.

I've said a couple of times that it's obviously ironic. Jundo and I settled on "aspirational". I think that's a good word for it.

I've struggled in great delusion for years. In the last year, I've come a long way towards clarifying, shining some brightness into the dark. This practice has helped me turn my life around by letting me start to see through my delusion. So that brightness, that clarity, is something I'm going to continue to develop.

Gassho,
    Zenmei
    #sat

Quote Originally Posted by Zenmei View Post
    全 Zen
    明 Mei

All Bright. Or Complete Clarity.

I've said a couple of times that it's obviously ironic. Jundo and I settled on "aspirational". I think that's a good word for it.

I've struggled in great delusion for years. In the last year, I've come a long way towards clarifying, shining some brightness into the dark. This practice has helped me turn my life around by letting me start to see through my delusion. So that brightness, that clarity, is something I'm going to continue to develop.

Gassho,
    Zenmei
    #sat
    Some of us could always see that brightness in you easily Zenmei I have a feeling that you are already using it to shine some light into others' dark tunnels.

FWIW I found my dharma name quite "aspirational" initially. Actually I LOL'd. I was--and still can be--the queen of worrywarts. But serenity has crept in like a silent snowfall in winter, to soften all the sharp edges and outlines in the field. Go figure.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When is the next Jukai? The process typically begins in fall, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by wtylerallen View Post
    When is the next Jukai? The process typically begins in fall, yes?
    Jukai happens every January. The process of studying the precepts and sewing your rakusu happens during Ango, a three month period of intensified practice that starts in early September.

Gassho, zenmei
    #sat

拡 Kou
    手 Shu

Kou meaning spread or widening
    Shu meaning hand or in the abstract is used to mean way.

Spreading or enveloping, adapting or evolving, is how I see my life, studies, and the universe. Kou in this way spreads throughout my being to a subtle point of usou/musou (form/no form). It cannot be explained nor expanded upon, it just is.

Hand or way is what bridges both the usou and musou of Kou, it also unites the practice with the action. It encompasses the precepts, as well as the Hannya Shingyo (Heart Sutra) on the universal and physical level.

Before the Jukai I understood and had touched (in the slightest) upon all of my previous training in Zen-Shu, Shingon Shu, and Tibetan Buddhism. Since taking my vows (Jukai) my experiences have been unexplainable both in my practice and life.

雪がひらひら舞い落ちる snow falling
    梅の花が徐々に咲き始める plum blossoms bloom
    心が穏やかになっていく heart calmed

This is the best way I could explain it.

As for why Jundo Sensei gave me this name I will leave it to intuition.

Gassho
    拡手 Koushu

Satoday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Great idea Shokai,
    It's nice to hear others' reflections.

援 Helping
    若 Youth

I support young people in my work as a therapist so the name is a touching nod to that.
    I increasingly view this practice as a process of opening my heart. Sometimes I'm opening my heart to the suffering of others, sometimes to my own suffering. Like Zenmei, I've been lost and I've suffered a great deal. You could say there's a youth in me who also needs my support and compassion. I'm very grateful for this name.

Gassho,
    Enjaku
    Sat
    援若

太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Thank you, Shokai! Pretty much like Zenmei, at first I also thought it was playfully ironic since I'm from the raniest city in an country otherwise famous for its sun

Joking apart, it makes me think of the big, warm Sun which is always present behind all the clouds we tend to create in our minds. For me, it's an aspiration to remember it's always there embracing everything and shining through everything, and to help every sentient being enjoy its warmth as well.

Gassho,
    Taiyō.

SatToday.

Kyotai
    Great to see the new names. Congrats to all.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

How do I insert the Kanji?

Gassho,
    Tanjin
    SatToday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    探 TAN (Exploring)
    人 JIN (Person)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanjin View Post

Gassho,
    Tanjin
    SatToday

The easiest way is probably to search for them on http://jisho.org and copy and paste. I spent way too long trying to figure out how to input Japanese on my computer.

Gassho, Zenmei
    #sat

Mp

Gassho,
    Tanjin
    SatToday

Hey Tanjin,

What is the translation Jundo gave you? This will help ...

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

So lovely to give everyone this opportunity to share their new name, Shokai.

Great to hear about each of the meanings. Thank you for sharing and congratulations!

Gassho
    Kokuu (black crow)
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hey Tanjin,

What is the translation Jundo gave you? This will help ...

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    It is Exploring Person.

Thanks!
    Tanjin
    SatToday

探 TAN (Exploring)
    人 JIN (Person)

Mp
    It is Exploring Person.

Thanks!
    Tanjin
    SatToday

Hmmm, I can find the Kanji for person, but exploring is a bit tricky. Best ask Jundo or you can use this website http://tangorin.com/kanji/Tan and maybe you can find the charcater that is on the back of your rakusu .... =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hmmm, I can find the Kanji for person, but exploring is a bit tricky. Best ask Jundo or you can use this website http://tangorin.com/kanji/Tan and maybe you can find the charcater that is on the back of your rakusu .... =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    Maybe 探 means explore and pronounced Tan. 人、hito or jin meaning person. Just my opinion.

Gassho Shingen and Tanjin

拡手 Koushu

I hope its OK if i comment here on the Dharma name given to me during last year's Jukai, as I didn't participate in this discussion then (too busy moving and having a baby at the same time!)

Jundo gave to me the name Seidō, with the translation of Fine Way. The implication being that sitting, just sitting is the fine way. I was never a huge fan of the word "fine" before, to me it has always been equal to "just OK." As where the intent of the translation is more along the lines of refined, the true essence. It was a valuable lesson to me in interpretation and judgment as I learned to better understand the translation of the name.

However, both Chinese and Japanese being patriarchal cultures, the refined essence is also seamen! So don't google search this kanji unless you need help with your ejaculatory problems.

精道

Gassho,
    Seido
    SatToday
    The strength and beneficence of the soft and yielding.
    Water achieves clarity through stillness.

Lol Seido! It's good to hear from you and thank you for your post. It seems like many of these kanji have multiple meanings... searching them can be quite a revelation. There are several other ways I could take mine as well, not the least of which is a direct reference to the Buddha creating the Rakusu after viewing the orderly, nourishing peace of a rice field... so many permutations possible, as with anything pertaining to the Dharma.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Well, since I haven't received the Rakusu back panel yet (yes, the mail service here in Brasil not so good...), so I am basing on Jundo's email.

I guess my dharma name is written like this:

強 Kyō - Powerful
    声 Sei - Voice

About the meaning, actually I just talked (through Skype) with two people here on this Sangha: Jundo and Gokai (my partner on the last Ango), and I'm sure I did not raised my voice neither spoke too close to the mic.

Another possible "hinayana" meaning could be because I'm also a musician here where I live in, and I play and sing... maybe Jundo listened to my Soundcloud channel and liked my voice. Nah... :P

Maybe I "talk too much" (with my fingers, here), tergiversating about many things, uncertainties, "technical" doubts, questioning. Go figure. Still, I am not that "talkative" guy in my everyday life, though. I guess all the talk occurs in my mind sometimes. Little "voices" opposed to the Powerful Voice?

Maybe I should seek that "powerful voice", that one which speaks clearly and without leaving margin for any doubts.

So much "maybes", because I really don't know, who is it up to know? Maybe it is better this way. So much "talk" prevents the Powerful Voice to manifest... I should will sit and sit in silence.

Gassho

Kyōsei

#SatToday

P.S.: I found out that this Dharma name (although maybe not the same Kanji nor the same meaning) is quoted in cases 16, 46 and 63 of the "Blue Cliff Record"...
    Last edited by Kyosei; 01-18-2017 at 07:21 PM.
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

法 Ho = Dharma
    口 Ko = Mouth

There's just so many ways to regard this name that it's really marvelous. I'm very grateful for it.

I'm an orthodontist by trade so there's the obvious tongue in cheek interpretation but there's also an aspirational angle if you look at Hoko as "truth speaker".
    (A "right speech" reminder to ensure that what comes out of my mouth is more dharma than dukkha...)

Also, since the mouth is where I make my livelihood it is a reminder to endeavor to make my place of work a place of practice as well.
    Not only can I be cognizant of the fact that I am following that branch of the eightfold path (choosing a career where I am avoiding harm, doing good, and working in the service of others) I can also strive to embody the Treeleaf motto "all life is our temple".

My practice is where I practice! Dental practice, Zen practice. Not one. Not two.

Gassho,
    Hoko
    #SatToday
    Last edited by Hoko; 01-19-2017 at 12:15 AM.
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Mp
    Hello everyone,

Shokai, thank you for bring this up. Thank you all for sharing your stories and thank you to Jundo, he is always so good and on point when it comes to Dharma names. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hi Everyone,

Remember that a name is just a name is just a name. In Zazen, we drop all names. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Best not to overthink hidden or triple meanings. Think of such names as rather like Buddhist fond, winking and inspired epithets that just came into my heart, "Dharma Nicknames" more than anything. Nishijima, my teacher, called me "Jundo" ... Pure Way... and I am not that. I call my daughter "sweety", because she is. I call our house cat "tiger", because he is in his heart if not in size. Like that.

Never forget that Zazen is about finding one's True Name!

Gassho, J

SatToday

PS -
    Maybe 探 means explore and pronounced Tan. 人、hito or jin meaning person.
    Yes, that is right.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I am not that. I call my daughter "sweety", because she is. I call our house cat "tiger", because he is in his heart if not in size.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Remember that a name is just a name is just a name. In Zazen, we drop all names. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Best not to overthink hidden or triple meanings. Think of such names as rather like Buddhist fond, winking and inspired epithets that just came into my heart, "Dharma Nicknames" more than anything. Nishijima, my teacher, called me "Jundo" ... Pure Way... and I am not that. I call my daughter "sweety", because she is. I call our house cat "tiger", because he is in his heart if not in size. Like that.

Never forget that Zazen is about finding one's True Name!

Gassho, J

SatToday

PS -

Yes, that is right.
    You mean you don't spend days researching every possible meaning of all the names you choose?

The pups I bottle raised were named "Lucy" and "Diamond" by my children since, you guessed it, we like the Beatles.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

By my personality I enjoy riddles. With my dharma name, I just looked at it, ask both my wife (who is Japanese) and Jundo Sensei. Then the night before Jukai I was teaching a Bhutanese monk friend of mine English and we got talking about our practices, him Nyingma and me a mix with my primary practice Zen. My wife was listening to our conversation and then later that night asked me about Zen practice and other Buddhist practices that I had experienced and practices I maintain. Then with wonder in her eyes she said my Dharma Name fits me perfectly, that I matched it on many levels.

Thus my understanding of the name has produced a need to sit, to eat when I am eating, walk when I am walking, etc.

Gassho
    拡手
    Koushu

Satoday

Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction for finding the Japanese characters -- I've updated my signature accordingly

My introduction to Buddhism and practice came through the internet nearly 6 years ago, and around a year later I made my first visit to a zendo. I had to fly quite a distance to St. Paul because Buddhism is not, to put it mildly, widely accessible in person here in the Bible Belt. I chose Clouds in Water Zen Center because I had been listening to lectures by Byakuren Judith Ragir on incorporating Buddhist Philosophy and practice into the 12 steps. Byakuren is a Dharma heir of Katagiri Roshi and someone who has really greatly influenced my direction on the spiritual path. Anyway, I remember seeing these people wearing black robes, and wearing what looked like bibs, and calling each other strange names. Frankly, thinking back, to my virgin eyes, it all seemed rather bizarre at first. But I was really interested in making a deeper commitment to Buddhism, and what drew me to jukai, the rakusu, and the Dharma name was the fact that it represented commitment and dedication to practice. I was always a bit saddened by the fact that my geographic situation seemed to preclude my ever undertaking jukai. Enter TreeLeaf!!! I am so grateful to Jundo, the priests, and everyone in the Sangha who come together to give myself and many others the opportunity to practice together when it might otherwise not be possible. I really appreciate the fact that notwithstanding our individual circumstances, we can be full participants in all aspects of the practice -- including partaking in important rituals and traditions. I once told Byakuren in a Dokusan early on that if I were a Christian I would have been Catholic because I was always fascinated and drawn to the rituals, the chanting, the prayer beads, etc. I remember, she said, "Oh you will love Zen then - it is probably the most ritualistic of all of the Buddhist sects!" So, again, having the opportunity deepen my own personal practice by participating in these traditions has really been very meaningful to me. For me, it is important to have the outward manifestation of this inner wish for peace and serenity.

As for my Dharma name - Jundo bestowed TAN (exploring) JIN (person) upon me. I'm not sure if he had any of my personal qualities in mind or not, so I won't presume to know that, but I do think that it fits my personality. Granted, I can be a rather cautious person, but I am very curious and inquisitive, and those qualities certainly could be described as "exploring". I realize, my "thought exploration" can sometimes become too much - and before finding the practice of meditation, I was lost in the thicket when it comes to over-thinking everything and generating constant fear and tension. Now, even though I'm still the explorer, I've begun to learn to just observe those wanderings for what they are, without getting attached or afraid so much. And when I do get lost, at least there is an opportunity through practice, to gently nudge the explorer back upon the patch by just watching -- and in so doing, I can even laugh sometimes at my own neurotic tendencies. The jungle of my mind is not such a scary place anymore because I can sometimes now see thoughts for what they are -- just thoughts.

Gassho,
    Tanjin
    SatToday
    探 TAN (Exploring)
    人 JIN (Person)

My name was given in 2012 as Gei (welcoming) Ka (flower). And though Jundo has mentioned not to look into it too much, I was pretty sure at the time I was given that name because I posted a lot in the welcome to new folks threads! I rather enjoy the name. Congratulations to all the new Jukai-ees! Especially to my Ango partner, Tanjin! Well done.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

My name means "Big Mouth" and
    Jundo told me not to tell anyone what it means.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

柔 flexible
    活 energetic

Jundo gave me the name Jyukatsu, obviously with a bit of humor as I am a Yoga teacher but unbeknownst to him I had gotten a Sanskrit name many years ago in India, in the Tantric tradition, that also means energy. A cosmic joke to me or, my husband's comment : all that trouble to get the same name.
    I love the name, it fits

Gassho,
    Jyukatsu
    sat today
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

Great to see everyone's new names!
    Mine is Kaibo.

海 kai = ocean
    母 bo = mother

Since I live in Sydney right next to the Pacific and I'm a mother of a toddler, it's pretty straightforward how Jundo might have got the idea. I think it's a wonderful name. Ocean reminds me of our wavelike character: we can present ourselves as an individual like a single wave, but then return to and blend in with the vast ocean. Being a mother means for me having responsibility and hopefully knowing well how to handle this responsibility. But it also means being someone who loves and cares - that's certainly something I'm aspiring to be.

Gassho
    Kaibo
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibo View Post
    Ocean reminds me of our wavelike character: we can present ourselves as an individual like a single wave, but then return to and blend in with the vast ocean.

Thank you, Kaibo.

Gassho

Kyōsei

#SatToday
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

Hi,

Ji-healing

Shin-mind/heart

Don't know what Jundo meant by it. Maybe heal others mind like a psychiatrist or heal my own mind since I am disturbed half the time. Maybe a heart healer like a cardiologist or cardio thoracic surgeon.

I thought it was cool to get a dharma name but it really means nothing. Just another label to complicate reality. Punch me in the face and I will tell you my real name.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Hi,

Ji-healing

Shin-mind/heart

Don't know what Jundo meant by it. Maybe heal others mind like a psychiatrist or heal my own mind since I am disturbed half the time. Maybe a heart healer like a cardiologist or cardio thoracic surgeon.

I thought it was cool to get a dharma name but it really means nothing. Just another label to complicate reality. Punch me in the face and I will tell you my real name.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Is your real name "ouch"?

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday

I took the Precepts last year. It meant a lot to me to make a rakasu, formally commit to the precepts, and receive a dharma name. My dharma name is Onkai, meaning warm sea:
    ON = warm
    KAI = sea

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Risho means shining beacon of light for the little people. I think it has to do with how the moonlight shines off of my bald head. hehheheh just kidding :mrgreen:
    <-- I recycled that from my post about my dharma name back in 2011. lol

Ri means Luminous, Bright and Sho means principle or reason

Gassho,

Rish
    -sattoday

Congrats to everyone on Jukai and their new Dharma names

•sat2day...合掌

Troy

Hi all, as I have said in another place in the Forum--my birth name is Charles Elgwyn Taylor--I went by middle name when I entered Treeleaf. and I am happy about this as Elgwyn is my father's middle name. Elgwyn is my grandfather's first name. This name is unusual, and so my grandfather called himself Al. My father's first name has an unusual spelling--Lenard, and there is a dramatic story behind my fathers first name, In any event, each of us have a name Elgwyn which is related which is good, and we all have the last name Taylor and there are stories behind this name also. Elgwyn is related to Elwin or friend of the elves, and thus our names come from Ireland and Wales, places where there is a grand folklore about elves--a long story, so please excuse my.

Now, my Dharma name, and this is a nick name on Facebook, is Tai Shi, or Tai Che, meaning calm poetry. I seek to be calm, and I have earned the degree Master of Fine Arts, creative writing poetry, and I am a poet. I thank Jundo for bestowing this name on me. AND, I agree with Jundo this is a kind of Japanese nick name; however, this name hits the mark because this is what I seek to become. Again, Jundo, or pure light, thank you for recognizing something about me.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho _/|\_
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Hi guys!

Sorry for being a little late to this thread but the last few weeks have been kind of crazy.

The dharma name that I was given is Tō-un. (Tō=島 Island, 芸 un= Artist/Art/Craft )

I have spent most of my life living on an island and I'm a lover of the arts, everything from painting to writing poetry.
    I also had some fun seeing how the words can be used in different contexts, and in some cases Tō can be used to describe a "performer" or "actor", and un can be used when refering to one's "territory" or "turf".

In other words, an "actor on his turf".
    Hmm... kind of a friendly reminder to be an authentic "artist" in my practice and not a mere "performer".

Once again, congratulations to all and thank you Jundo!

Gassho
    Toun (Mike)
    STD