Thread: Zen/dharma books

Zen/dharma books

I know there is already an online reading club, but I thought I'd start a fresh thread ( There is almost certainly an older thread buried deep in the Vault somewhere. I thought I'd try and start a new one for the new year. Currently I am starting my voyage into three books, one an audio book. The audio book is called "sky above, great wind" an it's a cross between short biography and "selected poetry" of ryokan. The other two are "opening the hand of thought", and " nothing special: living Zen". So my question is what are some of anybody's favorites? Suggestions, raves, anything will do. Ever since Buddhism has come to the West, there has been an increasingly,exponentially inevitable saturation of dharma literature.

Gassho

Richard

S@ 2day (plan on sitting again tonight)

Hi Richard,

A Recommended Book List (plus some podcasts and such) is here ... of course, rather focused on Shikantaza, Soto Zen and such ...

SUGGESTED BOOK & MEDIA LIST for TREELEAF SANGHA
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...REELEAF-SANGHA

There are some good books recommended in there for folks very new to Zen and Buddhism in general, and also books suggested for newer folk have a little ** next to them. Start at the top! Uchiyama Roshi's "Opening the Hand of Thought" is one of the best, as is " Nothing Special: Living Zen" and "Everyday Zen" by Joko Beck. There are also all manner of books on Teachings, History, Translations ...

By the way, for folks new to reading Zen books (and even those who have been reading Zen and other flavors of Buddhist books for awhile, wondering why not everyone seems to be saying all the same things), we actually have a couple of threads to help people read "Zen Books". Not all "Zen" and "Buddhist" books are the same ...

Special reading - once born twice born zen (part not 1)
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...8part-not-1%29

Special reading - once born twice born zen (part not 2)

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...8part-not-2%29

... and about why Buddhism sometimes seems to be "very different, although just the same ... absolutely the same, but quite different" ...

Special reading - eight types of enlightenment
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-enlightenment

They should be helpful to folks trying to figure out the amazing maze of Zen and all Buddhist books.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Jundo, for the links....Maybe I can make myself clearer, since I didn't mention this in my opening to the thread....I meant more of a "here is a recommendation, and here is what it meant to me". For example, I've heard(audio book) much of sky above, great wind, and am quite enamoured of it.

" the thief left it behind,
    the moon at my window"--ryokan

Gassho

Richard

S@ 2day

For example, Jundo, which books have a special place in your heart?

Gassho
    Richard

S@ 2day, and again 2nite soon

Hi Richard,

Hmmm. So many, but I especially cherish the books by Uchiyama Roshi ("Opening the Hand" and his commentary on Dogen's "Instructions for the Cook" called "The Zen Kitchen To Enlightenment: Refining Your Life" changed my life and set me in a good direction) and about everything by Okamura Roshi ("Realizing Genjo Koan", "Living By Vow" and more are treasures) on the list (all **).

The historical geek in me likes this combination because Prof. Wright does a dandy job of deconstructing a lot of the excess and idealism in how some old Zen writings and old Masters have been treated. This is not beginners reading though, and more for real history and doctrine wonks.

• The Zen Teaching of Huang Po translated by John Blofeld (in combination with reflections on the history, misunderstandings, context and philosophical perspectives of this text: "Philosophical Meditations on Zen Buddhism" by Dale S. Wright)
    More recent books, "Living Zen: The Diary of an American Zen Priest" by Daiho Hilbert and "Inside the Grass Hut: Living Shitou's Classic Zen Poem" by Ben Connelly were pretty wonderful and down to earth. Both were guests here.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-is-HERE%21%21

and

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-Sit-A-Long%21

Gassho, J

SatToday

I am also looking to other faiths for inspiration, after Aldous Huxley and the"perennial philosophy ". That, and to philosophy, Camus, Nietzsche before his mind disintegrated, and the scientist-mystics, like Einstein and Tesla, those men and women who revivified a sense of wonder and awe into a stereotypically dry, cold discipline (although my grasp of science is tenuous at best)

Gassho

Richard

S@ 2day

There are many many wonderful and inspiring books in the world.

Here, of course, our focus is on Shikantaza and Soto Zen, because this is a Dojo where we practice that.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

These are some of the books that played a pivotal part in my Zen journey:

1. Philip Kapleau's The Three Pillars of Zen and Shunryu Suzuki's Zen Mind Beginners Mind -- the books that introduced me to Zen practice. Taught me, too, how the different approaches to Zen -- Rinzai and Soto -- complement each other.

2. D.T. Suzuki's The Training of the Zen Buddhist Monk -- this one was the first book that gave me an idea what training a Japanese Zen Buddhist monk receives in a traditional Zen monastery. It's from a Rinzai perspective, though.

3. Janwillen de van Wetering's The Empty Mirror -- Janwillem de van Wetering was one of the first Westerners to train in Japan. It's an account of his one-year stay in a traditional Japanese Zen monastery in the 1950s. Well-written and easy to read.

4. Peter Matthiessen's The Snow Leopard -- one of my all-time favorites. A National Book Award winner, its prose is lyrical. The book is based on Peter Matthiessen's 5-week journey to the Himalayas in search of the elusive snow leopard. The outer journey he took mirrors his inner journey. In his account, he weaves his still nascent Zen practice with his adventures in the Himalayas. The search for the snow leopard becomes a metaphor for his search for his True Self. Years later, he became a Zen teacher.

5. The Classic Koan Collections:

A. The Gateless Gate (with commentaries by Yamada Koun Roshi, one of the great Zen Masters of the 20th century and the teacher of my Zen teacher, Sr. Elaine Macinnes Roshi, who introduced me to actual Zen practice almost 40 years ago).

B.The Blue Cliff Record (the Thomas Cleary translation).

C. The Book of Equanimity (with commentaries by Gerry Shishin Wick Roshi -- if I'm not mistaken, this is still being discussed at Treeleaf).

Athough koans seem paradoxical or even illogical, for me, they're simply straightforward expressions of Reality. But that took me a very, very long time to realize.

Caveat: Most of these books are Rinzai-based...

Gassho,
    Matt

SatToday
    Last edited by themonk614; 01-02-2017 at 05:36 AM.
    "You may wander all over the earth but you have to come back to yourself." --Jiddu Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by themonk614 View Post

Caveat: Most of these books are Rinzai-based...

Gassho,
    Matt

SatToday
    Yes, although lovely books.

I cannot pass up mention of "Three Pillars of Zen", one of the few Zen books I actually caution about. These days, many in the Zen world would consider it a book that had a disproportionate influence because it was one of the first books widely read in the West on Zen, but that did some harm in causing tremendous misunderstandings about Zen Practice. Below is what I write when the topic arises.

-------------------------

Zen and all Buddhism come in so many flavors ... All ultimately the same at heart perhaps, but very different in viewpoints and approach. So, the person new to Buddhism and Zen is left very confused by all the different books claiming to be a "Guide to Zen" or "Introduction to Buddhism" recommending often very very different things! Even "Soto" and "Shikantaza" folks can be quite varied in approach among themselves ... everyone like a cook with her own personal recipe for chicken soup!

["Three Pillars of Zen"] had great influence because it was so early (one of the few books on the subject 50 years ago), but it presented a view on Zen Practice and 'Kensho' that is not usual even in Japan (not even in Rinzai Zen, in my understanding) and represents a group ... named "Sanbokyodan" ... that is tiny is Japan but has had a HUGE and disproportionate influence in the West through derived groups such as the White Plum and Diamond Sangha! Read more here.

http://www.thezensite.com/ZenEssays/...odan%20zen.pdf

The book presents a view of "Kensho" and "Enlightenment" that was very much present in corners of the Zen world at one time, especially in the west. I was recently reading a good book on the subject, a book about the culture surrounding "The Three Pillars of Zen" which presented to many such an extreme, misleading "Kensho or Bust" image of Zen practice. Here is a review of that book, called "Zen Teaching, Zen Practice: Philip Kapleau and The Three Pillars of Zen" edited by Kenneth Kraft, a long time student of Kapleau Roshi ...

Kraft points out that Kapleau’s book is “in large measure a book about kensho” (p.14) which in itself is problematic as for many, including some of the authors of the essays, this led to “inflated expectations… [and] [t]he discrepancy between anticipatory visions of enlightenment and actual experiences of insight”. (p.15) This disjuncture between what Kapleau wrote and the actual experiences of Zen students has led to some criticisms of The Three Pillars of Zen as a book that gives an unrealistic picture of what to expect from zazen. ...

While this emphasis on and almost inevitability of kensho is, I think, a fair criticism of The Three Pillars of Zen, there is little doubt that Kapleau’s book brought many people to the study and practice of Zen Buddhism and for that we should be grateful. It is also necessary that we understand where and how Kapleau learned his Zen practice to better understand why he wrote and taught the way he did.
    http://www.thezensite.com/ZenBookRev...enpractice.htm
    You can also read a bit more on Kapleau and Yasutani Roshis' approach at the two "One Born, Twice Born Zen" links above.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Hi Richard,

Here are some nice audiobooks on Dogen:

IMG_0665.JPGIMG_0664.JPG

These are on the Heart Sutra:

IMG_0667.JPGIMG_0666.JPG

That said, I would just do all of Jundo's instructional videos and other teaching material first to get a good idea of what the flavor of our practice is at treeleaf before spending a lot of time and money on other disciplines and different flavors of Soto. Jundo also comments on other members thoughts sharing his vast knowledge. All for free!

My 2 cents.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Jundo

Thanks for clarifying those early comments on TPZ when I registered. Yes it got me started years ago but made me think it was to some degree all about kensho. I assumed with my less than consistent efforts back then I'd be sitting for decades before that happened or wait for another lifetime, which my skepticism said OK game over then. These days after 4 months leafing I don't think of it at all, I just sit. Simples So 9 bows to you sir for your teachings.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

If I could throw in my 2 cents on this as well, I would say that I recently finished reading "Don't Be A Jerk" by Brad Warner. I very much appreciated the reverence that he shows for explaining his understanding of Dogen, while paraphrasing things into a more "modern" language. I would also recommend "When Things Fall Apart" by Pema Chodron; while it is good advice for the tough times we all face at some point, much of what she has to say also applies for "every day" times.

I also have a copy of "Zen Comics" by Ioanna Salajan close at hand, and used to have one of the comic panels up on the wall of my cubicle. It was the "old master" and one of his students; the master is saying, "Nothing is left for you at this moment but to laugh." https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Comics-Io...rds=zen+comics

You can't go wrong with "Inside the Grass Hut", as Jundo mentioned. I would almost say that should be required reading!

Gassho--

--JimH (SatToday!)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Hi Richard,

Here are some nice audiobooks on Dogen:

IMG_0665.JPGIMG_0664.JPG

These are on the Heart Sutra:

IMG_0667.JPGIMG_0666.JPG

That said, I would just do all of Jundo's instructional videos and other teaching material first to get a good idea of what the flavor of our practice is at treeleaf before spending a lot of time and money on other disciplines and different flavors of Soto. Jundo also comments on other members thoughts sharing his vast knowledge. All for free!

My 2 cents.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

thank you jishin...i will and have already started to peruse the vast amount of posts and stickies jundo has placed here for our benefit...im just wondering about books that are close to peoples hearts (two of my favorites so far are "sky above, great wind" about the life and poetry/calligraphy of Ryoken, and the second is "the teachings of homeless kodo"....

gassho,

richard

s@ 2day

Dear Richard

The more I read it, the more I absolutely love Shobogenzo. It is a thing of beauty.

That doesn't mean I don't find it poetic, confusing, inspiring, mystifying and irritating by turns but that is part of what makes it such an interesting book.

In terms of early dharma reading, Cave in the Snow by Vicki MacKenzie was one that I really loved and Old Paths, White Clouds by Thich Nhat Hanh. How to Cook Your Life is a perennial favourite as is One Robe, One Bowl.

There are probably numerous others that I have enjoyed and gained a great deal from but if I count the books that I actually need for my day-to-day practice, that is a much smaller number.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Dear Richard

The more I read it, the more I absolutely love Shobogenzo. It is a thing of beauty.

That doesn't mean I don't find it poetic, confusing, inspiring, mystifying and irritating by turns but that is part of what makes it such an interesting book.
    I love it too. It's fantastic. It can make your head spin and explode like some supernova or creation of a galaxy or beyond. I like it read to me though and the first audiobook I suggested above has selected readings that speak to me. I have listened to that audio book one hundred times while driving and it's never the same.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

If you can cough up the cash, there is a brand new translation of the shobogenzo called the Treasury of the true Dharma eye..I'll tackle it later, but for now I'll stick with my audiobook copy of The Essential Dogen, and my Zen hermit mates

Grasshopper

Richard

s@2day

And yes kukuu and jishin Dogen can turn you inside out at times...That's is beauty...

Gassho
    Richard

S@2day

Zen/dharma books

[QUOTE=The first audiobook I suggested above has selected readings that speak to me. I have listened to that audio book one hundred times while driving and it's never the same.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_[/QUOTE]

The Dogen one?

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sorry I can't tell if it has repeated my quote, I was asking about Jishin's audiobook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jakuden; 01-12-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Not a Dharma book, but former u.s. poet laureate recently published a handful of haiku in rattle magazine,CA poetry mag I follow on Facebook

Slicing strawberries
    This morning, I'm suddenly
    Slicing strawberries!
    ---Billy Collins

Gassho
    Richard

s@2day

Haiku definitely float my boat:

Weaving a blanket
    from the pale sky
    the sound of rain.

If you can cough up the cash, there is a brand new translation of the shobogenzo called the Treasury of the true Dharma eye
    I have that one and it is beautiful. £80 well spent! The Nishijima/Cross translation is reputed to be more accurate (and Gudo Nishijima is of course part of the Treeleaf lineage) but Tanahashi has produced a very poetic version.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Indeed, a thing of beauty. Just starting to read the Shobogenzo -- the Kazuaki Tanahashi translation entitled Treasury of the True Dharma Eye: Zen Master Dogen's Shobo Genzo. It's a beautiful and poetic translation. But it will take me some time to digest the 1280-page book. And I find that I have to read it slowly and carefully in small bites to really appreciate and understand it.

This is one of the few Soto Zen books that I've read so far (my orientation is more of Rinzai, having trained most of my life with the Sanbo Kyodan). But I'm really enjoying reading it. Some of the things that Dogen is saying resonates with me, though that doesn't mean that it's a breeze to read it. Frankly, sometimes I find it quite perplexing.

But this classic is worth the effort because of the treasures it contains...

Gassho,
    Matt

SatToday
    "You may wander all over the earth but you have to come back to yourself." --Jiddu Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by themonk614 View Post
    Indeed, a thing of beauty. Just starting to read the Shobogenzo -- the Kazuaki Tanahashi translation entitled Treasury of the True Dharma Eye: Zen Master Dogen's Shobo Genzo. It's a beautiful and poetic translation. But it will take me some time to digest the 1280-page book. And I find that I have to read it slowly and carefully in small bites to really appreciate and understand it.

This is one of the few Soto Zen books that I've read so far (my orientation is more of Rinzai, having trained most of my life with the Sanbo Kyodan). But I'm really enjoying reading it. Some of the things that Dogen is saying resonates with me, though that doesn't mean that it's a breeze to read it. Frankly, sometimes I find it quite perplexing.

But this classic is worth the effort because of the treasures it contains...

Gassho,
    Matt

SatToday
    Hi Matt,

If this is any help, I have a couple of threads on a suggested way to approach Dogen ...

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Dogen - A Love Supreme
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...A-Love-Supreme

How to Read Dogen
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-to-Read-Dogen

Gassho, J

SatToday

Just starting to read the Shobogenzo -- the Kazuaki Tanahashi translation entitled Treasury of the True Dharma Eye: Zen Master Dogen's Shobo Genzo. It's a beautiful and poetic translation. But it will take me some time to digest the 1280-page book. And I find that I have to read it slowly and carefully in small bites to really appreciate and understand it.
    Hi Matt!

I bought it shortly after I joined Treeleaf four years ago and only finished the first reading of all fascicles this Ango. It is definitely one to be read slowly and digested and I am sure you will find, like me, that certain fascicles repay reading again and again because they so much encompass Dogen's thought and Zen practice. There is still lots of it I only partially get or don't get at all.

Jundo's notes (above) really helped me as did a number of commentaries that appear in the recommended reading list. Brother Brad's 'Don't Be a Jerk' is both accessible and insightful.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Matt,

If this is any help, I have a couple of threads on a suggested way to approach Dogen ...

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Dogen - A Love Supreme
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...A-Love-Supreme

How to Read Dogen
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-to-Read-Dogen

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Hi, Jundo,

Thank you for referring me to these threads. Any help to make Dogen accessible and make his teachings understandable is very much appreciated. I will surely take the time the read these threads, especially your notes.

Hi Matt!

I bought it shortly after I joined Treeleaf four years ago and only finished the first reading of all fascicles this Ango. It is definitely one to be read slowly and digested and I am sure you will find, like me, that certain fascicles repay reading again and again because they so much encompass Dogen's thought and Zen practice. There is still lots of it I only partially get or don't get at all.

Jundo's notes (above) really helped me as did a number of commentaries that appear in the recommended reading list. Brother Brad's 'Don't Be a Jerk' is both accessible and insightful.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Hi, Kokuu,

Thanks for recommending Brad Warner's Don't Be A Jerk. I will surely check it out. I will also definitely read Jundo's notes.

As you probably know, Dogen's profundity and and complex use of language makes the Shobogenzo quite a challenging read. But from the little that I now understand, as early as now, I can say it's worth the effort. This book is indeed a treasure.

Even after I finish reading the book, I will surely be rereading it many times over. It will be a lifetime companion to me in my Zen journey...

Gassho,
    Matt

SatToday
    Last edited by themonk614; 01-22-2017 at 03:17 AM.

Hi Richard,

I'd agree here, the books by Uchiyama and Okumura, have been very helpful and inspirational. They are both in the Kodo Sawaki line, which has a strong influence on our sangha. Jundo has already mentioned the greatest hits. I would also like to mention THE ZEN TEACHING OF HOMELESS KODO. This sort of like a series of vignettes on Sawaki's approach, with commentary by Uchiyama and Okumura. Very helpful to me, especially as it's hard to find stuff on Sawaki in English.

Also, I'm interested in much of the new sciences, i.e., quantum theory etc. the work by Steve Hagen does a great job in blending zen with what the sciences are confirming. This can get pretty heavy though.

Gassho,
    John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Gassho,
    John
    sattoday

Kyotai
    Zen socks is a wonderful children's book. Found it at the local library.

Gassho, Kyotai
    Will sit

Everyday Zen by Charlotte Beck made a big impact on me. Her style shook me up in my heart.

Gassho

Sat Today

I'm currently reading and really enjoying "Each Moment is the Universe" by Katagiri Roshi. As for books that I have found really impactful - "Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist" by Stephen Batchelor (Tibetan/Zen), "No Time to Lose - A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva" by Pema Chodron (Tibetan), "The Way of Zen" by Alan Watts (Zen), "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism" by Chogyam Trungpa (Tibetan), and "Stepping Out of Self-Deception: The Buddhas Liberating Teaching of No-Self" by Rodney Smith (Insight/Theravadin).

Gassho,
    Tanjin
    SatToday

PS - Just should add that these books are from a variety of Buddhist sects, but really seem to be universal which is why I like them in particular. I went back in and added the author's background to clarify.
    Last edited by Tanjin; 01-24-2017 at 03:51 AM.
    探 TAN (Exploring)
    人 JIN (Person)