Thread: Sit-a-Long with Jundo: My Uplifting, Inspiring, Hopeful, Optimistic New Years Message

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: My Uplifting, Inspiring, Hopeful, Optimistic New Years Message

The past year has seen its ups and downs ... a lot of downs it seems. Next year will likely be so too. (And the year after that!)

This is the roller coaster of life.

Do you know the still and quiet center at the heart of all ups and downs?

Do you know that the world has always been so?

Do you know that things are probably not as down (or as up) as you might think?

You are less likely to die a violent death today than at any other time in human history. In fact, violence has been declining for centuries. That is the arresting claim made by Harvard University cognitive neuroscientist Steven Pinker ... Just a couple of centuries ago, violence was pervasive. Slavery was widespread, wife and child beating were acceptable practices, heretics and witches were burned at the stake, pogroms and race riots were common, and warfare was nearly constant.... anthropologists have found that people were nine times as likely to die violent deaths in the prehistoric period than in modern times, even allowing for the world wars and genocides of the 20th century. Europe’s murder rate was 30 times higher in the Middle Ages than it is today. What happened? Human nature did not change, but our institutions did, encouraging people to restrain their natural tendencies toward violence.
    (LINK ; for some of the recent debate of the question LINK )

Let's get real ... let's not go to extremes of exaggerated pessimism or cockeyed optimism!

What transcends "up" and "down" even as we strive to make the world better?

We have lots of problems, sure, and more chance now to get to work and fix some things!

The roller coaster of life ... flow with the ride!

Listen Through our Treeleaf Audio Podcast HERE:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/decem...years-message/[/CENTER]
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-03-2017 at 01:52 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Awesome talk Jundo,thank you! If we choose to see, whether in the middle of a storm or under the vast blue sky the sun is ALWAYS shinning ... peace and love to you all! =)

09bb2f9090f20c8c13a45ffb8424137b.jpg

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hi Jundo,

I couldn't be more in accord to this teaching. A lot of the unhappiness and rage is created by our minds and to the fact that we often forget to look back at history. If we just graba history book we can understand that all this has been cooking up for (perhaps) centuries... but at the same time most of people have things that even pharaohs couldn't even imagine having.

There is peace when we sit because we come to a place where all our thoughts just pass on by. This calmness and unity with the Wholeness of the universe gives us the strength to keep on moving forward and work for the benefit of all.

Thank you for this teaching and for being the coolest Zen DJ ever

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Great teaching... and great moves!! Thank you, Jundo

Gassho,
    Andoitz.

SatToday
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Thank you for the teaching, Jundo

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today

Kyotai
    Thank you Jundo. A wonderful talk and message to start the new year.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Fantastic!

Gassho
    Karen
    Sat today

Thank you. Good advice to start another years journey with.

Gassho
    Doshin
    Sattoday

PS was that Disco?
    Last edited by Doshin; 12-30-2016 at 08:55 PM.

DJ Jazzy Jundo (and the fresh Unsuis!)
    Thank you. Great topic.

Your points on the kings and Pharaohs and such reminded me of this hilarious "Everything is amazing and nobody's happy" bit by CK:

"It's amazing!" ... "you're sitting in a chair, in the sky" responding to complainers on a flight

Not reaching for, clinging to or resisting the high and low points, may we all embrace all conditions of life. As they are.
    Rodney SatToday
    Last edited by Banto; 12-30-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Banto (aka Rodney)
    万磴 (Myriad StoneSteps)

Thank you Jundo, awesome talk ( and moves )

Gassho,
    Marina
    sat today
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

Ansan
    Thank you, Jundo for the inspiration to dance with life.

Deep bows & Gassho
    Ansan

SatToday

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thank you Jundo!
    Was trying to say similar things to my 17-year-old daughter today, not nearly as eloquently (or with as groovy dance moves). Our pessimism really affects the younger generation, they need some messages of hope now and then!!!!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    DJ Jazzy Jundo (and the fresh Unsuis!)
    Thank you. Great topic.

Your points on the kings and Pharaohs and such reminded me of this hilarious "Everything is amazing and nobody's happy" bit by CK:

"It's amazing!" ... "you're sitting in a chair, in the sky" responding to complainers on a flight

Not reaching for, clinging to or resisting the high and low points, may we all embrace all conditions of life. As they are.
    Rodney SatToday
    The most important comedy bit of recent times ... everyone in the West should be made to memorize it and recite daily.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi, Jundo,

Love the dance moves...

I'm, too, am worried about the future.

It was quite an eye opener to know that things are not what they seem be. In fact, things are getting better!

Thank you, Jundo.

This has helped me to look towards the future with more hope and optimism...

Gassho,
    Matt

SatToday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "You may wander all over the earth but you have to come back to yourself." --Jiddu Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    The most important comedy bit of recent times ... everyone in the West should be made to memorize it and recite daily.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    This is awesome!!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jundo

Thank you for such an inspiring and down to earth message as we start a new year.
    Love the "moves"!

Deep bows
    Mike
    Sat2day

Thank you, Jundo, for this important teaching. And thanks to you as well, Rodney, for sharing the wisdom of Louis CK. These are all wonderful reminders as we prepare to see what 2017 brings...love and rollercoasters for sure!!

Gassho,
    -Deirdre
    sat2day

Donkey.jpg
    Where did my side pots go?

Thank you and gassho,

saToday (not on a plane)
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Jundo for the talk and the dance moves. I also liked the Louis CK video, Rodney. I'm ready for the new year now!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Thanks Rodney for the video, I shared it on FB as you saw Such a great mantra for the new year.
    We visited family last week, they live in beautiful, spacious, modern, immaculate homes. We came back to our cluttered, shabby little house in the country, and I spent yesterday doing Samu in the kitchen, as we had a mouse while we were gone (cats were boarded!! The saying is true!!) so I washed everything in the kitchen from top to bottom and was grateful for every dish and spoon. (And husband finally did his part and plugged the mouse-hole!) As the saying goes--another day above the ground instead of under it--it's all good.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Sit-a-Long as a podcast episode: https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/decem...years-message/

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you Jundo and all for sitting through this ups and downs together.

Gassho,
    Kotei just watched and sat.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you, Jundo.

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Thank you Jundo

I had a low this holiday season, which had more to do with going through my old college stuff and revisiting old, painful memories; it was from a place of nostalgia. 20 years ago, I had hair and I thought I knew everything! It's so funny how we change. It's so funny how much of my reality I create in my "holodeck" to steal your metaphor. I'm so thankful to have found this practice and to be able to practice and grow with you all.

Gassho,

Rish
    -sattoday

Thank You very much Jundo
    Great teachings. I do my best to follow that.
    I wish that everyone can find that peace.
    Gassho, David
    Sattoday
    David Cravidão Lopes Pereira

Needs this thank you Jundo

Gassho

Oukan

Sat 2 day

Gassho

s@t today.