Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Kakunen (Mr. K.) now Training at Jyomanji

Life always goes on. Thank you for your practice, Mr. K

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Today I am at Gotanjyoji.Birth place of master Keizan.Head monk Itabashi is teacher of my teacher Koya.

Monk practice with many cats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today we are 1 day fasting Sesshin from 4AM to 8PM.

I will research myself.

I had a experience fasting 50days.

Practice with cats sounds wonderful
    Fasting practice sounds difficult (especially 50 days!!)

But we practice beyond wonderful and difficult.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Greetings from Kakunen (Mr. K.) now Training at Jyomanji

Finishing fasting Sesshin.

Very tired.I will go medical check tomorrow to go to Sodo practice temple.

Helpful for me your donation.

I need little bit take a rest.
    I need to searching for way of refresh.

Temple has rule,so we must keep rules.Difficult to rest at practice temple.

Mp
    Good to hear Kakunen ... go easy, take good care of yourself, remember, there is only one of you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hmmm. Fasting Sesshin. I have not heard of this so common in Soto Zen. Something particular to that Teacher or place?

Of course, fasting has a place in many religions and spiritual practices around the world.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hmmm. Fasting Sesshin. I have not heard of this so common in Soto Zen. Something particular to that Teacher or place?

Of course, fasting has a place in many religions and spiritual practices around the world.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    This is original style of my teacher.
    I do not know detail.But he also have Shingon sect temple.

???

Quote Originally Posted by Kakunen View Post
    This is original style of my teacher.
    I do not know detail.But he also have Shingon sect temple.

???

Hi K,

You mean that his Soto temple was, centuries ago, a Shingon Buddhist temple? That is actually very common as temples converted a long time ago. (Shingon Buddhism is old school of esoteric Buddhism in Japan)

Or, do you mean that Rev. Sasagawa is both Soto priest and Shingon priest? I don't think you mean that, because it is not common at all.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Finishing fasting Sesshin.

Very tired.I will go medical check tomorrow to go to Sodo practice temple.

Helpful for me your donation.

I need little bit take a rest.
    I need to searching for way of refresh.

Temple has rule,so we must keep rules.Difficult to rest at practice temple.

Rest well, and I hope your checkup went well. I am glad dana is helping you, and I look forward to helping you again. I will continue to sit for your practice, health and studies. I enjoy the cats and all the photos and videos you share with us, thank you

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Good to hear Kakunen ... go easy, take good care of yourself, remember, there is only one of you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    Thank you I sended private messege.Did you check?I wanna try to join you and Kyonin and your Zazenkai.
    Please teach me detail.

I am sorry for all member.
    My teacher said to me,please ready to Sodo anytime.So I have possibility to go to Sodo suddenly.

If I will at such situation ,I will send letter to Jundo.Jundo please post internet.

Life is always adventure!

So I am busy and I need Zazen.Maybe I will sit with your Zazenkai tomorrow.

I am sorry for all member.
    My teacher said to me,please ready to Sodo anytime.So I have possibility to go to Sodo suddenly.

If I will at such situation ,I will send letter to Jundo.Jundo please post internet.

Life is always adventure!

So I am busy and I need Zazen.Maybe I will sit with your Zazenkai tomorrow.

Note: "Sodo" (literally "Monk's Hall"僧堂) means main Training Monastery.

Why are you sorry???? Probably too direct translation from always apologetic Japanese language.
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-28-2017 at 02:22 AM.

Mp
    Thank you I sended private messege.Did you check?I wanna try to join you and Kyonin and your Zazenkai.
    Please teach me detail.

Hello Kakunen,

I will send you the details for sure. Of you can sit wonderful, if not that too is ok ... when we sit, we are all sitting together. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hello Kakunen,

I will send you the details for sure. Of you can sit wonderful, if not that too is ok ... when we sit, we are all sitting together. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    We do not sit night.Maybe your Zazenkai is at around8PM at Japan?

I want to have night sit.

Mp
    We do not sit night.Maybe your Zazenkai is at around8PM at Japan?

I want to have night sit.

Sorry my friend, seems are times are different tonight. We just sat an hour ago. Maybe we can work something out so we can sit together. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Sorry my friend, seems are times are different tonight. We just sat an hour ago. Maybe we can work something out so we can sit together. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    OK.But please teach me detail.
    I will come back Sodo,I will have Zazenkai.So I wanna try lots of way.

Mp
    OK.But please teach me detail.
    I will come back Sodo,I will have Zazenkai.So I wanna try lots of way.

Sounds good, we can share and learn together. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hi K,

You mean that his Soto temple was, centuries ago, a Shingon Buddhist temple? That is actually very common as temples converted a long time ago. (Shingon Buddhism is old school of esoteric Buddhism in Japan)

Or, do you mean that Rev. Sasagawa is both Soto priest and Shingon priest? I don't think you mean that, because it is not common at all.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    There is this temple.
    http://hanamaru33.sblo.jp/s/article/80823339.html

And here is also his temple
    http://kurotanikannon.main.jp/index.html

He is both priest

Mr. K,

Sodo comes first. We always sit together in timeless space no matter what <smile> Deep bows for your training, and do not worry. We support you fully.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

I want to especially read and hear English well.

Now this is my theme.If you have some idea ,please teach me.

Today we discuss in member of our temple.

Now in Japan,Zen is just Losing substance.

People at oversea is more serious attitude for Zen.

And in Japan kind of taboo using internet for Zen.

Here in Tenryuji monk Seigaku who live in Berlin is managed of International connection.But he is busy.

I hope our connection will be good and hope people helped by Zazen.

https://m.facebook.com/undoinberlin

Seigaku is young.And also friend of monk Koya at Jyomanji.

We need young power.But too young people is difficult to understand deeply about Zen.

For all

I will go to Zuioji at 4th of May.

I send again later.Today is work day!

For all

I will go to Zuioji at 4th of May.

I send again later.Today is work day!

About Zuioji ...

http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/...jp/zuioji.html

Gassho, J

SatTodau

Koun Franz's account of Tangaryo at Zuioji, the days kept sitting Zazen in waiting before formal admittance .... Tangaryo means almost literally "The Overnight Waiting Room".

================

I entered Zuiouji on March 1, and though it had been cold in the days previous, March 1 was a sunny, beautiful day, so I didn’t wear any long underwear or think in terms of keeping warm. After standing outside the gates and finally being granted provisional entry, I was placed with one other monk in tangaryō, a corner room with thin walls and window frames that didn’t quite fit the windows. We were told to sit in zazen all day, and so we did.

We knew this was to last a week, but we were constantly threatened with more. Inspecting monks would burst in at odd hours to see if we were really sitting or not. We were told that if we couldn’t use our bowls skillfully by the end of the week, we would be a burden on the group, and would have to stay one more week in seclusion for good measure. We were constantly encouraged to go home, told that we really were not monk material.

The first night, I went to sleep tired but full of resolve. The second day, it snowed hard, and the snow came into the room through those ill-fitting window frames and gathered on my lap. Thus began a week of being so cold that I couldn’t stop shaking, ever. At night, in bed, I shivered so hard that my jaw ached, and I often felt I couldn’t breathe. And of course, doing zazen literally all day every day, my legs felt as if they’d been hit with hammers. I would lie in bed, moving between two thoughts: first, that I had chosen this, and second, that I did not know why. I tried every kind of pep talk, every kind of mental game imaginable to somehow escape that physical reality, or to feel better, or to feel stronger. I felt I had been reduced to nothing, in a matter of days.

But around the fifth day, I gave up. I gave up trying to make it better. And I gave up hope that it would get better with time. I had settled into a very cool place, as if sitting still in the most remote chamber of a deep, deep cave. I did not feel warm—I was still freezing. My legs still ached so badly that it was difficult to walk to the bathroom and back. I had chillblains on my ears—they looked, and felt, as if they were made of bloody crepe paper. I had let go of my fantasies about how wonderful this would all be, how spiritual. I no longer imagined that I would be transformed here into a certain kind of person, or that I would learn things that no one else knows. I could see in the monks who visited us that while some were quite kind in their strictness, all were human, and some were simply children, enjoying power over someone of lesser rank. Even in seclusion, I could see clearly that this monastery would not transform us all into walking embodiments of compassion. Until that day, I could not have known how much baggage I had carried with me into that monastery.

So I gave up. But I did not quit. I did not do what a rational person might do, which is to pack up my things, politely thank everyone for the food and shelter, and go home. I cannot say why I didn’t leave—I’m certain that at times in my life, I would have. But I stayed. It may seem too simple, but now, years later, much of my understanding of Zen practice comes down to just this: to give up, then to continue anyway.

https://nyoho.com/2012/04/25/youre-free-to-stay/

Last edited by Jundo; 04-29-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Wow! Sounds like Navy Seal boot camp.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Wow! Sounds like Navy Seal boot camp.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Wow it does sound intensive and transformative all at the same time.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Deep bows, so much respect for your journey. I continue to sit for you. Thank you for sharing your practice with us.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Maybe this story is hard for begginer.

I sit Sesshin at Antaiji 15hour at day.And I used Oryoki-bowl everyday.
    And in Tenryu-ji sitting under snowing.

I will be cool attitude.

Koun Franz's account of Tangaryo at Zuioji, the days kept sitting Zazen in waiting before formal admittance .... Tangaryo means almost literally "The Overnight Waiting Room".

================

I entered Zuiouji on March 1, and though it had been cold in the days previous, March 1 was a sunny, beautiful day, so I didn’t wear any long underwear or think in terms of keeping warm. After standing outside the gates and finally being granted provisional entry, I was placed with one other monk in tangaryō, a corner room with thin walls and window frames that didn’t quite fit the windows. We were told to sit in zazen all day, and so we did.

We knew this was to last a week, but we were constantly threatened with more. Inspecting monks would burst in at odd hours to see if we were really sitting or not. We were told that if we couldn’t use our bowls skillfully by the end of the week, we would be a burden on the group, and would have to stay one more week in seclusion for good measure. We were constantly encouraged to go home, told that we really were not monk material.

The first night, I went to sleep tired but full of resolve. The second day, it snowed hard, and the snow came into the room through those ill-fitting window frames and gathered on my lap. Thus began a week of being so cold that I couldn’t stop shaking, ever. At night, in bed, I shivered so hard that my jaw ached, and I often felt I couldn’t breathe. And of course, doing zazen literally all day every day, my legs felt as if they’d been hit with hammers. I would lie in bed, moving between two thoughts: first, that I had chosen this, and second, that I did not know why. I tried every kind of pep talk, every kind of mental game imaginable to somehow escape that physical reality, or to feel better, or to feel stronger. I felt I had been reduced to nothing, in a matter of days.

But around the fifth day, I gave up. I gave up trying to make it better. And I gave up hope that it would get better with time. I had settled into a very cool place, as if sitting still in the most remote chamber of a deep, deep cave. I did not feel warm—I was still freezing. My legs still ached so badly that it was difficult to walk to the bathroom and back. I had chillblains on my ears—they looked, and felt, as if they were made of bloody crepe paper. I had let go of my fantasies about how wonderful this would all be, how spiritual. I no longer imagined that I would be transformed here into a certain kind of person, or that I would learn things that no one else knows. I could see in the monks who visited us that while some were quite kind in their strictness, all were human, and some were simply children, enjoying power over someone of lesser rank. Even in seclusion, I could see clearly that this monastery would not transform us all into walking embodiments of compassion. Until that day, I could not have known how much baggage I had carried with me into that monastery.

So I gave up. But I did not quit. I did not do what a rational person might do, which is to pack up my things, politely thank everyone for the food and shelter, and go home. I cannot say why I didn’t leave—I’m certain that at times in my life, I would have. But I stayed. It may seem too simple, but now, years later, much of my understanding of Zen practice comes down to just this: to give up, then to continue anyway.

https://nyoho.com/2012/04/25/youre-free-to-stay/

Maybe this story is hard for begginer.

I sit Sesshin at Antaiji 15hour at day.And I used Oryoki-bowl everyday.
    And in Tenryu-ji sitting under snowing.

I will be cool attitude.I do my best

I do not say this is easy,but this is not hard.
    Last edited by Kakunen; 04-30-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Preparing to go to Sodo.

Mp
    Preparing to go to Sodo.

Enjoy Kakunen!

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Enjoy Kakunen!

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    I was only Japanese here.
    And enjoy staying.

Very hard to accept another value.

So I will accept my new life at Sodo.

Right now I can not understand English here,but I can enjoy.Depend on you!

Thank you very much.

Sorry for bad bad English.

Last edited by Kakunen; 04-30-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Thank you for including these links, photos, etc. I enjoy learning about the history, culture, traditions, and stories of Japanese monasteries.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

We understand your English, Kakunen Enjoy Sodo, you have our full support!

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

I do not know reason why.

When I sit Zazen at morning.
    This song come from outside and knock my heart.

sometimes love just ain't enough.

I don't want to lose you
    but I don't want to use you
    just to have somebody by my side.

I don't want to hate you,
    I don't want to take you
    but I don't want to be the one to cry.

And that don't really matter to anyone anymore.
    But like a fool I keep losing my place
    and I keep seeing you walk through that door.

But there's a danger in loving somebody too much,
    and it's sad when you know it's your heart you can't trust.
    There's a reason why people don't stay where they are.
    Baby, sometimes, love just aint enough.

Now, I could never change you
    I don't want to blame you.
    Baby, you don't have to take the fall.

Yes, I may have hurt you,
    but I did not desert you.
    Maybe I just want to have it all.

It makes a sound like thunder
    it makes me feel like rain.
    And like a fool who will never see the truth,
    I keep thinking something's gonna change.

And there's no way home
    when it's late at night and you're all alone.
    Are there things that you wanted to say?
    And do you feel me beside you in your bed,
    there beside you, where I used to lay?

And there's a danger in loving somebody too much,
    and it's sad when you know it's your heart they can't touch.
    There's a reason why people don't stay who they are.
    Baby, sometimes, love just ain't enough.

Baby, sometimes, love... it just ain't enough.

Thank you Kakunen.

I think Shakyamuni had this tune on his Iphone too when he did his "homeleaving" from the palace.

And like a fool who will never see the truth,
    I keep thinking something's gonna change.

Gassho, J

SatTiday

Almost finish preparing.Very hard.I will leave here tomorrow morning after morning sit.

I leave Tenryuji and go to Zuioji!

Thank you for helping always.

Mp
    I leave Tenryuji and go to Zuioji!

Thank you for helping always.

This is wonderful Kakunen, wonderful journey to you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Let me as he departs today, that he will not be allowed outside access (no phone calls, no email of course, no newspapers, no visits or visitors) for several months during the start of training ...

Also, thanks to the many people who have helped in recent days, he is able to do this. Lovely.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-03-2017 at 04:13 AM.

Wow, tears flow (Joy? Sadness? Pride? All of the above?) We'll be sitting with you Kakunen, as always!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

I am at near Zuioji.

Our traditional style,I will walk from here to there ,for 1 hour.

This is my favorite word in book.

Man's Search for Meaning.
    By Victor E Frankl.

Every fate is incomparable. No situation will be repeated again. Thus for each individual situation, humans are forced to respond differently. No one can truly suffer vicariously with that suffering of another. Only the person who himself drew such destiny has the one chance to do something unprecedented in taking on this suffering.

Thank you for all your help.

Last edited by Kakunen; 05-03-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Best wishes Kakunen,
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
    Gassho,
    Enjaku
    Sat
    援若

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Wow, tears flow (Joy? Sadness? Pride? All of the above?) We'll be sitting with you Kakunen, as always!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

If we live honesty,sometimes we cry suddenly.

If we need to cry,we can cry.

I do not want to separate my son.

Mp
    If we live honesty,sometimes we cry suddenly.

If we need to cry,we can cry.

I do not want to searate my son.

Yes, life has laughter, life has tears, all wonderful if we accept them as they are.

It is ok to be seperate from your son Kakunen, as he is always in your heart. Then when you do see him, all that love for him will shine through.

We all have to walk our path, sometimes we walk with others, sometimes alone. Either way, enjoy the journey, be present in the journey, all will be good. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

When your son is older he will understand, and I am sure that he will be impressed by his dad who could dedicate himself in this way.

Gassho, J

SatToday

We are proud of you, happy for you, and will continue to support you, Mr K. Yes, tears flow for all reasons.

I will include your son when I sit, I am certain he will be fine from his father's dedication and strength of character. We are always with you. Deep bows.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Good luck! To all Dharma friends!

When your son is older he will understand, and I am sure that he will be impressed by his dad who could dedicate himself in this way.
    Just like Rahula!

Good luck Kakunen, you can do it!
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

I wish you all the best, Mr. K! Many bows!

Gassho, sat today

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast