Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sept 30th-Oct 1st Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Sept 30th-Oct 1st Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS ARE POSTED AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 FOUR VOWS & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live with instruments ready. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you, Jundo and Shingen. I plan to join live, two-way, tech permitting. Otherwise I will sit with you all later this weekend.

Gassho,
    Onkai

Hey you,

Maybe I'll be two-way this one. If I manage to catch up before the room is full.

See you - either two or one-way.

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

Hello all,

I will be sitting the recording tomorrow morning before work.

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I'll be there two-way, weather and technology permitting!

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Mp
    Hello folks,

Here is the event link if needed: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...PkZKwn2UNGf-k=

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Participating "one-way".

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Also sitting one-way.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sitting one way. Gassho, Sue
    Sat today
    Gassho
    Sue
    Sat today

Whew! Just made it. Live one way.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

I was not able to get back in town in time to sit live, but will sit with the recording.

Something has come up (nothing serious) and I am going to spend time with my son this evening. Will finish Zazenkai over the weekend.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Thank you everyone, many gassho.

Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and everyone, lovely to sit with you all. Sending love and metta to the people of Syria.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Sat with an allergy attack... but all is well.

Thank you Sangha

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday
    Last edited by Kyosei; 10-01-2016 at 03:15 AM.
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all so much for coming together to practice, moment by moment.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you, everyone. It's always wonderful to sit together (and dance together). I lost my technical connection briefly, but we're still connected. Have a good weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you dear Sangha.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Thank you everyone. I will also research how to help refugees this week.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Jundo,

That "Mount Sumedai" (I don't know if heared well the name, sorry) you mentioned is the same "Mount Sumeru" which is found in some buddhist stories and legends?

Can you explain a bit more on how can one be the "center of the world", the 8 directions, the Four Noble Truths, while everything else are too?

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday
    Last edited by Kyosei; 10-01-2016 at 03:22 AM.
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Thanks everyone for sitting with me!

Gassho,
    Jimmy
    Sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Jundo,

That "Mount Sumedai" (I don't know if heared well the name, sorry) you mentioned is the same "Mount Sumeru" which is found in some buddhist stories and legends?

Can you explain a bit more on how can one be the "center of the world", the 8 directions, the Four Noble Truths, while everything else are too?

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday
    Hi Marcos,

Yes, Mt. Sumeru (or Meru) is the traditional center of the cosmos in old Buddhist beliefs. Here is a short article telling a little about when such traditional beliefs met modern geography and cosmology ... Barbara from 'About Buddhism' summarizes a fantastic book chapter on the story by historian of Buddism Donald Lopez.

Faced with this foreign challenge, to some priests and teachers defending Mount Meru was tantamount to defending the Buddha himself. Elaborate models were constructed and calculations made to "prove" astronomical phenomena were better explained by Buddhist theories than by western science. And of course some fell back on the argument that Mount Meru existed, but only the enlightened could see it.

In most of Asia the Mount Meru controversy continued until late in the 19th century, when Asian astronomers came to see for themselves that the earth was round, and educated Asians accepted the scientific view.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/buddhis.../mountmeru.htm
    Well, you can sit and find out for your"self" what is meant. I might just say that, in Indra's Net (and actually many modern cosmologists have come to share the view) there is no point in the universe with better claim than any other to being the "center". Another way to say it is that any place, and all places, are the center ... (Some people take Copernicus' model to mean that our place in the universe is unimportant and small in a vast cosmos, but it can also mean that every place in the universe is each its own center, and equally an expression of the precious whole) ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post154059

... all interconnected and interflowing ala Indra's Net ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ich#post186498

... and reality all one beyond one, so whole that there can be no "Suffering" nor a "Path" of the Four Noble Truths (as the Heart Sutra teaches "No cause or end to suffering ... no path no wisdom and no gain") ... no separate thief and something to steal, no two people to kill and be killed (nonetheless, there are, so let us end war and hunger and poverty) ...

... all arising and centered in a moment of sitting in Zazen.

Now, that be said, it is Saturday, time to take my daughter to the playground. That is the center of my universe too.

Gassho, J

SatToday

PS - "Shumidan" is the central altar in a Zen or other Buddhist temple that is modeled on Mt. Sumeru"

https://nyoho.com/tag/altar/

Here is Eiheiji ...

Last edited by Jundo; 10-01-2016 at 04:49 AM.

Thank you Jundo!

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Thank you all.

I am with some Syrian refugees since last Ango. Showing the ropes, talking about local 'rules', helping with bureaucracy, being there.
    Local situation got a little better, as they are in better organized places now.
    But as you could imagine, still very bad and still lots of fear and bullying from the locals :-(.

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Kyotai
    Thank you everyone. Will be finishing zazenkai later this afternoon.

Gassho, Kyotai

ST

Thank You very much everyone.
    I Just Sat and danced with all of You and the last zazenkai recording.
    I wish You all peace and a great weekend.
    Lets try to find how to help refugees.
    Gassho, David
    Sattoday

Thank you all who danced and all who will dance.

May all sentient beings be free of suffering... by our compassionate acts.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you all.

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Thank you. Just sat with you all.

Gassho
    Washin

Just sat and danced with you all : Thank You
    Gassho,
    Marina
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Well, you can sit and find out for your"self" what is meant. I might just say that, in Indra's Net (and actually many modern cosmologists have come to share the view) there is no point in the universe with better claim than any other to being the "center". Another way to say it is that any place, and all places, are the center ... (Some people take Copernicus' model to mean that our place in the universe is unimportant and small in a vast cosmos, but it can also mean that every place in the universe is each its own center, and equally an expression of the precious whole) ...
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...GR/centre.html

It always amazes me how Science always seems to confirm what Buddhists surmised centuries ago... Above is a link explaning why every point in the Universe is mathematically no more the center of the Universe than any other point.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Just sat with the recording. Thank you to Jundo and to all.

[Edited to add this:] Thanks so much, Marina, for sharing that link. I looked for some information about how to help those still in Syria and refugees around the world, and I came across this article from PRI, which also looks helpful:

http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-08-1...s-others-syria

Gassho,
    - Deirdre
    sat2day
    Last edited by Deirdre; 10-02-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks you all.
    And thanks for the link Marina.

Martyn
    Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat/danced zazenkai with you all.
    (I am led to understand that the center of the universe is easy to find; just avoid picking and choosing.) Straight ahead to Taizan. All aboard!
    Gassho,
    K2
    #SatToday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Thank you all!

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Sat this morning with all of you.

Nothing like a little dance to get the blood pumping in the morning.

Gassho,
    Tim
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post

It always amazes me how Science always seems to confirm what Buddhists surmised centuries ago... Above is a link explaning why every point in the Universe is mathematically no more the center of the Universe than any other point.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    Thanks for the article, Jakuden, very interesting.

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday.
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Sitting this now.
    Gassho
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    Yes. Thank you.

Where is the centre of the universe?

There is no centre of the universe! According to the standard theories of cosmology, the universe started with a "Big Bang" about 14 thousand million years ago and has been expanding ever since. Yet there is no centre to the expansion; it is the same everywhere. The Big Bang should not be visualised as an ordinary explosion. The universe is not expanding out from a centre into space; rather, the whole universe is expanding and it is doing so equally at all places, as far as we can tell.

The Famous Balloon Analogy

A good way to help visualise the expanding universe is to compare space with the surface of an expanding balloon. This analogy was used by Arthur Eddington as early as 1933 in his book The Expanding Universe. It was also used by Fred Hoyle in the 1960 edition of his popular book The Nature of the Universe. Hoyle wrote "My non-mathematical friends often tell me that they find it difficult to picture this expansion. Short of using a lot of mathematics I cannot do better than use the analogy of a balloon with a large number of dots marked on its surface. If the balloon is blown up the distances between the dots increase in the same way as the distances between the galaxies."

The balloon analogy is very good but needs to be understood properly—otherwise it can cause more confusion. As Hoyle said, "There are several important respects in which it is definitely misleading." It is important to appreciate that three-dimensional space is to be compared with the two-dimensional surface of the balloon. The surface is homogeneous with no point that should be picked out as the centre. The centre of the balloon itself is not on the surface, and should not be thought of as the centre of the universe. If it helps, you can think of the radial direction in the balloon as time. This was what Hoyle suggested, but it can also be confusing. It is better to regard points off the surface as not being part of the universe at all. As Gauss discovered at the beginning of the 19th century, properties of space such as curvature can be described in terms of intrinsic quantities that can be measured without needing to think about what it is curving in. So space can be curved without there being any other dimensions "outside". Gauss even tried to determine the curvature of space by measuring the angles of a large triangle between three hill tops.
    Gassho, J

SatToday at a center of the universe!

Sat with this today.

As a side note, there are rap and metal versions of the Heart Sutra too.

Heart Sutra Rap:

_/\_
    Paul

Heart Sutra Metal Version:
    _/\_
    Paul

Hi Mitty,

We often dance with those as well during our Zazenkai. There are also R&B, regge and all manner of these. I have avoided the metal, although I am think about headbanging the Buddha, and maybe stage dives off the Altar soon.

Another metal version, great animation ...

An alternative rap version ...

R&B (I love the animation. Pretty sure that is Tom Cruise in the Last Emperor)

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-03-2016 at 06:01 AM.

And a Gospel version, combining the Heart Sutra with Beethoven's 9th ... somehow puts me in a Christmas mood!

Last edited by Jundo; 10-03-2016 at 06:03 AM.

And a Gospel version
    rofl
    This is a quite multicontinental version...

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Gospel version is great

Here's another nice blender of the Lotus Sutra and Gregorian Chants:

Gassho
    Washin
    sat & chanted Hannya Shingyo today

Love it! Thanks for the links.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Just sat. Thank you all for your bodacious dancing and sitting moves!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast