Thread: Daido Loori Roshi reads Genjokoan

Daido Loori Roshi reads Genjokoan

Hi all

I hope the first few days of Ango have found you all well and inspired!

This just appeared in my podcast feed and is a lovely recording of John Daido Loori reading a translation of Genjokoan by Maezumi Roshi. I never met Daido Loori but his voice is familiar to me through dozens of podcasts.

https://zmm.mro.org/teachings/archiv...ens-genjokoan/

I was wondering if there should be a separate forum section for podcasts? If they are scattered here and there it is hard for anyone to go back through if they are looking for inspiration. However, if recommended teachings are kept in the same place, this would be a lot easier. Just an idea!

All good wishes from a hot English afternoon

Kokuu
    #sattoday

Mp
    Thank you Kokuu for this link, will have a listen. Happy Ango. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hi Kokuu,

Thank you for sharing. I am a Daido fan myself, and his talks always manage to ring the bell somehow. He taught Koan Centered Zazen, and his descriptions of Shikantaza were sometimes a bit biased by that ... but the man was gifted.

We do have a section of recommended podcasts in our "recommended books and media" list. Not specific talks, but good sources of Soto Zen podcasts. Scroll down ...

SUGGESTED BOOK & MEDIA LIST for TREELEAF SANGHA
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...REELEAF-SANGHA

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for sharing the link, Kokuu.

Gassho
    Washin
    st

Thank you, Jundo.

I know we have a list of podcast series but often members recommend a specific podcast from one of those series or organisations. Keeping a list of these in a specific place might be valuable.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Thanks for the link, Kokuu. Daido was my first access to Zen as something earthy and practical rather than a lot of metaphysical bollocks I'd read before, so I have a particular affection for him. Agree with your point about podcasts too.

Martyn. Also from an unseasonably hot English evening.
    Sat today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Kokuu! Will definitely give it a listen, especially since I am reading "Realizing Genjokoan" for ZMM's Ango so it seems very apropos!

As for the audio links, I have a folder in my browser that I "favorite" the links in for easy access.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Kokku, so very kind of you to share. I have heard of Daido but this will be my first experience of hearing his teachings.

Dali
    May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness.
    May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering.
    May all beings rejoice in the well-being of others.
    May all beings live in peace, free from greed and hatred.

Oh neat, thank you Kokuu! Nice to hear his voice. I will return to this one again and again.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Thank you, Kokuu.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.