Thread: Metta for All in the Orlando Shootings

Metta for All in the Orlando Shootings

We sit and offer Metta for the victims of the Orlando shootings, their family and friends, and all victims everywhere of violence.

We especially note all heinous crimes in which people are targeted for who they are, their race, beliefs, ways of life.

Let us continue to work for a world without hate and violence.

-----

And it is also a good time to remind folks of this, as I have already been asked today:

It is taught by most Buddhist Teachers I know that we should sit and offer Metta and the like for all harm-doers and potential harm-doers as well. Why?

In Buddhism, we tend to see even the violence doers as victims of greed, anger and ignorance. We tend to avoid saying there are "bad people", and merely that there are people who act badly due to their own suffering inside. Thus, I can wish even a killer "peace" and "contentment" in Metta, with the idea that if they truly knew peace and contentment, there would be no violence. If we fail to do so, we are actually nurturing anger and divisive thinking in our own hearts.

It may help to understand this by considering that what we are actually doing is sitting and offering Metta hoping for an end to the cycle and ripple effects of anger and division that caused this act and might be born and continue from this act, long after this one act and even though the shooter is dead or apprehended. We are offering Metta here, not to the harm-doer as a person who harms, but rather to end the Karmic causes and effects that led him there, filled him or her, ripple onward from this, and may lead to more violence in the future. It is much as if we were to offer Metta for a destructive Tsunami wave that has done great harm, hoping for a calming and healing of all that continues from that storm, the violent hurricane conditions that first caused the wave and may lead on to do further harm if the storm persists.

We sit and offer Metta for a future time and world in which such events will not happen, and none of this will be necessary.

Gassho, J

SatToday

PS - Let me add that, even though Buddhists tend to say there are no "bad people," only "bad actions", and that even the harmdoer is a "victim" of greed, anger and ignorance, I believe that most Buddhist Teachers of all schools will allow that there is still reason to stop or punish criminally the wrongdoer via prison or the like, or even to use violent force ... even (although not all Buddhists agree on this) to use deadly force ... to prevent likely future violence by the person or a group. Most (not all, and there are some prominent absolute no holds barred pacifists among Buddhist Teachers) would say that this is in keeping with the Precept to Preserve Life because the deadly force is being used to preserve the lives of even more innocent victims. At the same time, we must do all we can to minimize violence in response, and we should try not to act out of anger in our own hearts.

In this case, it looks as if it was the act of one individual ... or a small group of extremist people. We must not overreact. If we overreact, or feel anger, we may also end up targeting innocent people for who they are, their religion, race, beliefs, ways of life. As well, it is best to turn the other cheek where possible, offer flowers for bullets, turn swords to plowshares ... "respond" with gentleness and not always with bombs. Perhaps we too the latter too often.
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-13-2016 at 03:24 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Gassho, thank you.

Metta
    Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... yes, this is so very sad and I cannot wrap my head around such hatred. It has just been a sad day with metta, love, and tears.

Deep bows to all who have suffered from such acts of violence.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you Jundo,

Metta to all the victims, families and loved ones.

Gassho,
    Mike

Sat2day

Please also remember that this is not about one group of people ... it is about one extremist and disturbed individual of a certain religion, not about all who share that religion or the religion itself. If we fail to remember this, if we overreact or feel anger ourself toward a whole diverse group of people, we may also end up also targeting or victimizing innocent people for who they are, their religion, race, beliefs, ways of life. Let us also offer Metta for all Muslim people who must be equally ashamed and scarred by this tonight.

Finally, please recall that terrorists wish us to feel terror. The best and healthiest response is not to give them what they are hoping for ... (Unfortunately, it seems I post this message too often):

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: The Wise Response to Terror - Staying Calm -
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...r-Staying-Calm

I realize that much of what I have written above is completely upside down and opposite from how most folks usually think about and react to such events these days.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-13-2016 at 02:39 AM.

Jundo
    Thank you
    I sat today to offer Metta to all who are suffering from the Orlando tragedy.

Gassho
    Sekishi
    (Theophan)
    Sat Today

Thank you, Jundo.
    Words fail. Horrible act... Metta to all who suffer in all forms.

Gassho
    Washin
    just sat

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    We are offering Metta here, not to the harm-doer as a person who harms, but rather to end the Karmic causes and effects that led him there, filled him or her, ripple onward from this, and may lead to more violence in the future. It is much as if we were to offer Metta for a destructive Tsunami wave that has done great harm, hoping for a calming and healing of all that continues from that storm, the violent hurricane conditions that first caused the wave and may lead on to do further harm if the storm persists.
    Thank you, Jundo. It is heartbreaking. Today, I clearly saw more seeds of hatred sown from the effects of this terrible action resulting in harmful generalizations, fear, and knee jerk anger reactions (though all understandable). Much metta to all the victims of yesterday's awful tragedy, to acts like this that happen every day that don't get the media attention they deserve, and to the suffering and ignorance of all beings that cause these actions (though it's still hard for me to separate the "being" from the "action" but I am trying. "Love the sinner, hate the sin" or maybe more properly in Buddhist phrasing: "Have compassion for the wrong-doer as a person, offer metta to his wrongful actions and its effects).

Deep Bows,
    Tyler

SatToday
    Last edited by TyZa; 06-13-2016 at 09:09 AM. Reason: clarification

Greed. Anger. Ignorance. Violence. It's all too much, too overwhelming, too sad, too horrible. Incomprehensible.

The world cries out for compassion. The cries all sound together, they are one call, one voice, one bell ringing, it echoes on and on.

Look into any pair of eyes, touch any hand, look in the mirror, you will find it there.

Let this suffering open the heart, not close it.

Gassho
    Byokan
    sat today

Metta to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Metta to all who suffer.

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

Kyotai
    Thank you Jundo.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

In this case, it looks as if it was the act of one individual ... or a small group of extremist people. We must not overreact. If we overreact, or feel anger, we may also end up targeting innocent people for who they are, their religion, race, beliefs, ways of life. As well, it is best to turn the other cheek where possible, offer flowers for bullets, turn swords to plowshares ... "respond" with gentleness and not always with bombs. Perhaps we too the latter too often.
    I think this is such a critical point. Thank you Jundo. Metta to all.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Metta for All in the Orlando Shootings

This breaks my heart. I pray and sit for all that suffer from this tragedy. Thank you for your words Jundo. I completely and whole heartily agree.

I hope that one day all people of all faiths will realize love is not a sin no matter what shape or form it takes. I pray love will win over hate and division in our hearts.

Edit: I apologize if I offend anyone with my statement. I heard a lot of hate speech on youtube today. I know the vast majority of people in all faiths are not extreme in their views of the LBGT community. I respect their beliefs even if they are not the same as mine as long as it does not lead to hate and violence.

..sat2day•合掌
    Last edited by Troy; 06-13-2016 at 04:16 PM.

For those who haven't read Sharon Salzberg on Metta practice, she is very good. Here is a link http://www.vipassana.com/meditation/facets_of_metta.php

An excerpt:

After I had spent these six weeks doing the metta meditation all day long, my teacher, U Pandita, called me into his room and said, "Say you were walking in the forest with your benefactor, your friend, your neutral person, and your enemy. Bandits come up and demand that you choose one person in your group to be sacrificed. Which one would you choose to die?"

I was shocked at U Pandita's question. I sat there and looked deep into my heart, trying to find a basis from which I could choose. I saw that I could not feel any distinction between any of those people, including myself. Finally I looked at U Pandita and replied, "I couldn't choose; everyone seems the same to me."

U Pandita then asked, "You wouldn't choose your enemy?" I thought a minute and then answered, "No, I couldn't."
    FaithMoon
    st

It's such a shame that this is my first post on the forum.

Metta to all those involved and affected by the terrible events. Indeed we are all affected by this.

Gassho,
    Mart

Sat2Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Jundo.

Sitting for all victims of the divisive mind.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Joyo
    Metta to the Orlando victims, metta to the 19 women who were burned last week by ISIS.

This world can be an unbelievably cruel place. Sitting, and painting, in honour of all victims of such tragedies.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

In light of Jundo's observation. "We sit and offer Metta for a future time and world in which such events will not happen, and none of this will be necessary." I have added the following which was a post I made on FB to try an express the idea that what happened in Orlando is not something new, it is an action that has occurred before and will occur again. We can only hope we can contribute to a future time when greed, frustrations and disagreement will not have violence as a failed solution.

I’m usually not very political on social media, but I have to vent. While shocked and troubled by the events in Orlando I keep having problems with the headlines of all the news services, ”Orlando Nightclub Attack Was Deadliest Mass Shooting in U.S. History”. Almost immediately the events at Sand Creek Colorado in 1864 came to mind. An expanding country was frustrated with the Native Americans occupying the best land for settling. Things had to change, and when resistance to resettlement was met, violence was the chosen tool. The Colorado Volunteers in less than eight hours shot, killed and mutilated over 120 old men, women and children. The rational? Open the planes to settlement.
    The events at Orlando struck me more like Sand Creek Massacre than the terrorism motive espoused by the press and our politicians. A young man finds that a segment of our society offends him or is in opposition to his beliefs of what society should be, and finds justification for a violent response.
    So much is on social media promoting extreme views, “my way or the highway” views, need for civilian militia, etc. How far are we from the mentality of the Colorado Volunteers in their rational to effect complete anialiation of the Cheyenne peoples encamped at San Creek?
    Something to contemplate anyway,
    Peace

SAT TODAY
    Last edited by lorax; 06-14-2016 at 02:49 AM.
    Shozan

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat today

Eishuu
    Metta to all those involved and I really hope that people do not respond to this with yet more intolerance and hate.

Gassho
    Lucy
    Sat today

What a terrible tragedy.
    Will sit for the victims and their families.

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

"Thinking about the people of this floating world
    far into the night-
    My sleeve is wet with tears."
    Ryokan
    Emmet

Ongen

Sat TOday
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Already seen the "response to terror" video too many times. We are all one. Metta to those who suffer, whether they be perpetrators or victims of violence. May they be at peace.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Jundo,

Metta to all the victims and their families.

Gassho,
    David

Sattoday
    David Cravidão Lopes Pereira

Metta to all. A friend of mind said she was praying for the victims, and I responded that everyone here is a victim even the perpetrator of such awful actions. Think about what awful ignorance and hatred must fill an individual to do such a thing. She said she hadn't reached "the level to pray for the victim too". I don't really see it as a competition or leveling up but maybe awakening. Either way I just let her sit with what I said, I didn't push it. But I do think as Buddhists we need to see through the entirety of these situations. Everyone involved, all of us even who found out about it are suffering on some level.

I hope we can learn to live and let live.

Gassho
    Ishin

The SZBA (Soto Zen Buddhist Association), where most of our Priests-In-Training and I are members, just issued the following Statement. We join in with the others.

------------

Soto Zen Buddhist Association Statement on the Orlando Tragedy

As members of the Soto Zen Buddhist Association — along with communities and
    practitioners of all faiths — we stand in solidarity with those who seek to live in peace
    and nonviolence, and grieve for the loss of life in Orlando. In particular we extend our
    heartfelt compassion to Orlando’s Latino and LBGTQ communities, their friends and
    families.

In the Dhammapada Shakyamuni Buddha, says: “Hatred does not cease by hatred at any
    time. Hatred ceases by love. This is an eternal law.” While we cannot untangle the
    thoughts and emotions of the shooter, quite aside from political dimensions, this is a
    crime motivated by delusion. Our world will never be free from conflict, but we yearn for
    a human culture in which one person’s views will not lead to another’s death.
    We reflect, too, that mass shootings in Orlando, Paris, San Bernardino, Aurora, Newton,
    and throughout the world are facilitated by the ready availability of assault-style
    automatic weapons. These weapons, designed for military application not for sport, do
    not belong on our streets.

In the name of those below, and all victims of gender violence, hatred, racism, and
    homophobia — our sisters and brothers — we call for people and our elected leaders to
    wake from delusion and vow to resolve our differences with the strength of nonviolence.
    In this spirit we call the names of the dead in Orlando:

Stanley Almodovar III, 23
    Amanda Alvear, 25
    Oscar A Aracena-Montero, 26
    Rodolfo Ayala-Ayala, 33
    Antonio Davon Brown, 29
    Darryl Roman Burt II, 29
    Angel L. Candelario-Padro, 28
    Juan Chevez-Martinez, 25
    Luis Daniel Conde, 39
    Cory James Connell, 21
    Tevin Eugene Crosby, 25
    Deonka Deidra Drayton, 32
    Simon Adrian Carrillo Fernandez, 31
    Leroy Valentin Fernandez, 25
    Mercedez Marisol Flores, 26
    Peter O. Gonzalez-Cruz, 22
    Juan Ramon Guerrero, 22
    Paul Terrell Henry, 41
    Frank Hernandez, 27
    Miguel Angel Honorato, 30
    Javier Jorge-Reyes, 40
    Jason Benjamin Josaphat, 19
    Eddie Jamoldroy Justice, 30
    Anthony Luis Laureanodisla, 25
    Christopher Andrew Leinonen, 32
    Alejandro Barrios Martinez, 21
    Brenda Lee Marquez McCool, 49
    Gilberto Ramon Silva Menendez, 25
    Kimberly Morris, 37
    Akyra Monet Murray, 18
    Luis Omar Ocasio-Capo, 20
    Geraldo A. Ortiz-Jimenez, 25
    Eric Ivan Ortiz-Rivera, 36
    Joel Rayon Paniagua, 32
    Jean Carlos Mendez Perez, 35
    Enrique L. Rios, Jr., 25
    Jean C. Nives Rodriguez, 27
    Xavier Emmanuel Serrano Rosado, 35
    Christopher Joseph Sanfeliz, 24
    Yilmary Rodriguez Solivan, 24
    Edward Sotomayor Jr., 34
    Shane Evan Tomlinson, 33
    Martin Benitez Torres, 33
    Jonathan Antonio Camuy Vega, 24
    Juan P. Rivera Velazquez, 37
    Luis S. Vielma, 22
    Franky Jimmy Dejesus Velazquez, 50
    Luis Daniel Wilson-Leon, 37
    Jerald Arthur Wright, 31
    Omar Mateen, 29

With palms together,
    Hozan Alan Senauke
    President, Soto Zen Buddhist Association

To see photos and read brief stories of those who died at Pulse:
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...-we-knowabout-
    the-orlando-shooting-victims
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-16-2016 at 05:25 AM.

Thank you, Jundo. The list of names makes this bigger than a headline.

Gassho,
    Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Please also remember that this is not about one group of people ... it is about one extremist and disturbed individual of a certain religion, not about all who share that religion or the religion itself. If we fail to remember this, if we overreact or feel anger ourself toward a whole diverse group of people, we may also end up also targeting or victimizing innocent people for who they are, their religion, race, beliefs, ways of life. Let us also offer Metta for all Muslim people who must be equally ashamed and scarred by this tonight.

Finally, please recall that terrorists wish us to feel terror. The best and healthiest response is not to give them what they are hoping for ... (Unfortunately, it seems I post this message too often):

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: The Wise Response to Terror - Staying Calm -
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...r-Staying-Calm

I realize that much of what I have written above is completely upside down and opposite from how most folks usually think about and react to such events these days.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Thank you Jundo. I really appreciate your posts on this. I think i mentioned before that most of my friends are Muslims and they are suffering from this, especially with it being Ramadan. As an ally and an advocate, it can be very hard for us to deal with the increased hatred and fear from people during these times, but I appreciate and agree with your approach here, and the approach to violence and hatred that Buddhism takes. Your advice and teaching here have given me perspective and also give comfort in an otherwise senseless tragedy.

<deep bows>

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Thank you for this Jundo.

I very much needed to read this.

Gassho
    Tim
    SatToday

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... metta and love.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you, Jundo.

Metta for all.

Gassho
    Washin
    st

Thank you Jundo. So sad seeing all those names. Metta to all.

Gassho,
    Tyler

SatToday

Thank you for this teaching, Jundo.

Deep bows
    Matt
    #SatToday