Thread: Mixed religions

Mixed religions

Hey everyone,
    This is my first post here as I'm usually just a lurker lol. I just read a story about a Zen practitioner who also claimed to be Christian. I'm certainly not judging, I was just curious as to whether this was a common occurance within the Zen tradition. I know that Buddhism is relatively new in my neck of the woods (US), and that religions change as they are introduced to new cultures. Anyway, just wanted the feedback of those more experienced than myself.

Thanks,
    Derek
    Sat today

Many examples of this. Here is one:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kennedy_(Jesuit)

Regarding Christianity, it really depends on how literal and fundamentalist the Christian is on whether it can be compatible with Zen. For instance, I grew up in the deep south of the U.S. where even practicing yoga for exercise was viewed as incompatible because it derived from Hinduism (ironic they don't realize where Christmas and Easter celebrations derived from ). Anyway, if you're a Christian who believes that Jesus is the only way to salvation and that the whole point of life is to worship Jesus/God and that we should only be looking to God/Jesus/Bible for answers to understand life and existence (as opposed to observing reality as is), then I personally don't think Zen even in its most secular form is compatible.

For instance, regarding how some fundamental Christian's view even secularized practices of yoga or zazen, this is the type of response you will probably get: http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-yoga.html.

I agree that you can mix religions. But, in my opinion, that is entirely on how you yourself practice that religion. If you practice a more open minded view of Christianity or any other religion for that matter I think Zen would fit in fine. Just like FaithMoon's post above shows, it can be done.

Jundo has some really good posts about this and it would give you a more articulate answer.

Gassho, Tyler

SatToday
    Last edited by TyZa; 06-08-2016 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Clarification

Joyo
    There are many others here at Treeleaf that have some wise advice about this topic, as well as Thich Nhat Hahn. His books have a lot of Christianity mixed in with them.

I just wanted to add, that it is also possible to practice Zen and yet not be part of any religion at all. =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

My children, wife and in-laws are extensions of me. They are Christian so I am Christian. But they practice Zen with me too.

" Even though it may be merely for a moment, when someone, whilst sitting upright in meditation, puts the mark of the Buddha seal upon his three types of volitional actions—namely, those of body, speech and thought—the whole physical universe and everything in it becomes and is the Buddha seal; all of space, throughout, becomes and is enlightenment." -Bendowa.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

I don't know what is common but I have known people who say they are Christians and Zen Buddhist. It works for them. My thought, it is whatever you want. Others who judge are wrong. I am not religious and have not been so for over a half century, feel religions are a construct of a central nervous system trying to explain the unexplainable, and I dont consider Zen my religion. Zen (and you can add the word buddhism to that if needed) is my practice to hopefully be a better human being to all and myself. My wife is religious and I respect her and everyone else's beliefs as long as they are not imposed upon me or others I dont judge them, I am happy for them.

Gassho
    Doshin
    sattoday

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    I don't know what is common but I have known people who say they are Christians and Zen Buddhist. It works for them. My thought, it is whatever you want. Others who judge are wrong. I am not religious and have not been so for over a half century, feel religions are a construct of a central nervous system trying to explain the unexplainable, and I dont consider Zen my religion. Zen (and you can add the word buddhism to that if needed) is my practice to hopefully be a better human being to all and myself. My wife is religious and I respect her and everyone else's beliefs as long as they are not imposed upon me or others I dont judge them, I am happy for them.

Gassho
    Doshin
    sattoday
    Well said, Doshin. You and I have this in common. I have not been religious for over 4 years now. My husband remains Christian, but we have both gotten to a place where we accept each other, and respect our chosen paths. I practice Zen in the same respect that you do, to better myself and other sentient beings. And also because, it just feels like home. It's not necessary to add any religious path to it, for me anyways. I live in a town with many Christians and New Age-type ppl. When any of them start to ask me about god, or religion or supernatural, I just always say "I no longer have a horse in that race." =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    just sat

Hi,

When this topic comes up, I say that one can practice Zen Buddhism while also a Republican, Democrat or apolitical, Baseball fan or football fan or no sports fan at all, Catholic, Jewish or Muslim, Atheist or Agnostic. I would say that, so long as it is a belief system that avoids hate, violence, excess greed and such (e.g., a "Zen Buddhist Nazi" will go a dark way), all can mix.

Also, Some forms of Christianity and Judaism or other belief may be practiced in ways that shut out or are incompatible with other systems such as Buddhism (due to the problem of rejection and exclusivism on the other side ... "Jesus is the only way, meditation is evil" etc. ... not on the "Zen" side), but not all Christians and Jews practice in such ways. Some ways of practicing Christianity and Judaism are quite compatible and harmonious with Zen Practice.

We often say that "Zazen is the only Practice." This means that, when sitting Zazen, there is nothing else but Zazen in the whole wide world. But then, rising up from the cushion to get on with life, everything is "Zazen in the whole wide world too". So, whether going to church or the local atheists meeting ... that is just life in that moment too. Understand? (Not the Nazi Klan meeting however!)

You may be interested in this book and visit by my Dharma Bro., Fr. Gustav, ...

My Christian Journey with Zen by Gustav Ericsson

This is by my Dharma Brother Gustav, fellow student of Nishijima Roshi, and Lutheran Priest. Gustav was also a guest teacher here at Treeleaf awhile back.

In this spiritual memoir chronicling the journey of a man who became both an ordained Zen meditation teacher and an ordained priest in the Lutheran Church of Sweden, Gustav Ericsson shares reflections and glimpses into the story of how he learned to stop and sit down, be still and listen.

Artfully crafted around a travel journal from a deeply reflective trip to Japan, My Christian Journey with Zen is an expression of the author’s spiritual path, focusing on how his meditation practice has grown in both his life and in his service as a parish priest and hospital chaplain.

http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Jour.../dp/1503226786
    This one I have read, and I especially recommend it for those folks seeking to harmonize Zen Practice and Christianity. Here is Gustav's visit here to Treeleaf Tsukuba:

Our SPECIAL ZAZENKAI & TALK with GUSTAV ERICSSON
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...USTAV-ERICSSON
    People sometimes say that Buddha was an atheist. From my reading on the question over the years, it is more that he simply did not express an opinion on the subject as central to his Teachings, one way or the other. Further, he was addressing the system of gods in Indian religion, which was a bit of a different way of things. More here:

http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbu...dhaatheism.htm

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you all for the insightful replies to my question. I am by no means religious but the question from the original article which I read was an interesting one.

Thanks again,
    Derek

Sat today