Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY with Bro. Brad Warner (MAIN PAGE)

Special Zazenkai SUNDAY with Bro. Brad Warner (MAIN PAGE)

MAIN PAGE for our Special Zazenkai with Brad Warner ...

WELCOME to netcast of our Special Zazenkai this Sunday with a most honored guest, my Dharma Brother, a fellow student of Nishijima Roshi, and the bass player of Zero Defex, BRAD WARNER, author of a slew of books such as HARD CORE ZEN, SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP, and his latest and (if you ask me) best yet, DON'T BE A JERK and other Practical Advice from Dogen, Japan's Greatest Zen Master.

The festivities will begin at 10am California time Sunday June 5th (that is New York 1pm, London 6pm and Paris 7pm, all on Sunday June, 5th).

THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

EVENT PAGE:
    https://plus.google.com/events/c5pb6...l083ft17oo20gg

Here was Group Not-Two:

Our sitting schedule will look like the following although please be prepared for some flexibility and the possibility to run a little long: perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Brad for 30 minutes or so, and some Questions from our participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the Talk and Q&A.
    For those of you who don't know Brad (and I doubt that is many folks around Treeleaf):

He is here to introduce his book DON'T BE A JERK, which is is Brad at his best. Here is my little review at Amazon:

ShoboGONZO

I am pretty impressed and tickled by the whole thing. This book is just a brilliant interpretation. As he says, it is not meant as a line by line rewriting, and more of a quick thumb nail glimpse with a good bit of humor and fairly free interpretation. Nonetheless, Brad manages to convey the heart and sense of each passage. Just wonderful, a takes a kind of genius to pull this off. I think what he has done is just a blast and really funny too, while still being poignant and amazing.

more here ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R2RV..._=glimp_1rv_cl
    I will post immediately below more information on our Hangout and a list of folks committing to attend.

SO ... please attend, and DON'T BE A JERK!

Gassho, Jundo

Last edited by Jundo; 06-05-2016 at 07:15 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Google+ Hangout Information & SEAT ASSIGNMENTS:

Dear All,

I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo). We are on a waiting list now, but if there is a little more additional demand, I may open a second hangout (I have not yet for technical reasons).

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout which will be at Treeleaf Google Plus (LINK). A few people will be on STANDBY wait list for that group. Standby folks should wait to come in until after the Netcast begins and I call for "Standby wait list folks to come in" if there are open seats. Based on prior events, there is a good chance that some wait list folks will be seated. Wait list folks can join, first come first seated, any time they spot an open seat. Names were selected randomly and according to peoples' indicated preferences.

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS. You should receive a link to join by Email today and at the time the event begins, plus we will post a link, below in this thread, near the start time.

The people for this group are (as of now):

1- Anshu/Bryson
    2- Onkai/Laurie
    3- Jakuden/Virginia
    4- Ryo Do/Andreas
    5- Washin/Sergey
    6- Kyonin
    7- Shingen
    8- Yugen
    9- Jundo
    10- Brad Warner

Standby - Daitetsu
    Standby - Ongen
    Standby - Troy
    Standby - Caisson/Rodney
    Standby - Doshin/Randy
    Standby - Daizan
    Standby - Sekishi

Folks not in the 2-way hangouts can also participate "ONE WAY" by watching the live netcast on the screen to be posted above and at our Google+ page.

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to Brad from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com) any question to Brad, and I will try to read him as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

UPDATE!

We will also have an experimental second Hangout on my "Jundo" page (LINK). What I will do is run that on a second computer, with a separate internet connection and try to position the camera so that it shows the other computer showing Brad (don't try to figure that out, you'll see what I mean).

This is for people on the "standby" waiting list for the main hangout to get a seat. I would appreciate if those "standby" waiting list folks would try to switch to the main hangout if there are open seats there at the start time and, if not, return to the second hangout.

The folks for the second hangout (and also on "standby" wait list for the main hangout) are:

Daitetsu
    Ongen
    Troy
    Caisson/Rodney
    Doshin/Randy
    Daizan

It may not work, and I apologize if not. We have had some signal issues with the second hangout in the past that meant that the netcast was choppy, or there could be no connection established. If so, please just watch one way at the link above with all apologies, and know you are still sitting with us.

I will try to send invites and a link about 15 minutes before Zazenkai begins.

We still have a few open seats in the second hangout if anyone else wants to try.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

SCREEN FOR SECOND HANGOUT:

Last edited by Jundo; 06-05-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Eishuu
    I will be there one-way live. Thank you for organising this.

Gassho
    Lucy
    Sat today

Mp
    Wonderful, thank you Jundo ... look forward to visit from our brother. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Great, will be there one way on Sunday

Gassho,
    J

Nindo
    Will be there one way.
    Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday

Thank you for including me on the two-way list. I look forward to the "Bradzenkai"

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Looking forward to this special event, thank you so much for organizing this!

Gassho
    Ryo Do

Sattoday

Jundo,

As I suggested before, I will be there one way. However, if needed I can become two way. But it looks like you have folks lined up in case of that event.

Thanks,

Gassho
    Doshing
    sattpdau

Gotta see this one way
    Been a long time coming.

Sat today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Count me in and looking forward to it, just started 'Don't be Jerk, seems like it was written especially for me!.....A bit worrying really

Gassho
    Kazashimo ~~sat today~~

Quote Originally Posted by kazashimo View Post
    Count me in and looking forward to it, just started 'Don't be Jerk, seems like it was written especially for me!.....A bit worrying really

Gassho
    Kazashimo ~~sat today~~

Kazashimo,

I thought they kicked all the "jerks" out of England in the 1600's when my family moved to North America (A little former Colony Humor )

UPDATE!

We will also have an experimental second Hangout on my "Jundo" page (LINK). What I will do is run that on a second computer, with a separate internet connection and try to position the camera so that it shows the other computer showing Brad (don't try to figure that out, you'll see what I mean).

This is for people on the "standby" waiting list for the main hangout to get a seat. I would appreciate if those "standby" waiting list folks would try to switch to the main hangout if there are open seats there at the start time and, if not, return to the second hangout.

The folks for the second hangout (and also on "standby" wait list for the main hangout) are:

Daitetsu
    Ongen
    Troy
    Caisson/Rodney
    Doshin/Randy
    Daizan
    Sekishi

It may not work, and I apologize if not. We have had some signal issues with the second hangout in the past that meant that the netcast was choppy, or there could be no connection established. If so, please just watch one way at the link above with all apologies, and know you are still sitting with us.

I will try to send invites and a link about 15 minutes before Zazenkai begins.

We still have a few open seats in the second hangout if anyone else wants to try.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

SCREEN FOR SECOND HANGOUT:

Last edited by Jundo; 06-05-2016 at 12:54 AM.

Looking forward to this.
    _/st\_ Shinzan

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Kazashimo,

I thought they kicked all the "jerks" out of England in the 1600's when my family moved to North America (A little former Colony Humor )
    Well they left at least one behind.....moi!

As well as the Zazenkai itself I'm looking forward to the questions Treeleafers are going to pose in response to the talk.
    I never seem to have many questions myself, this is either possibly a lack of an enquiring mind or just simple acceptance of things?
    But I do regularly find people asking questions on here and I'm thinking 'wow' what a question to ask, 'why didn't I think of that'? I'm just learning all the time!

Gassho

kazashimo ~~sat today~~

As well as the Zazenkai itself I'm looking forward to the questions Treeleafers are going to pose in response to the talk.
    I never seem to have many questions myself, this is either possibly a lack of an enquiring mind or just simple acceptance of things?
    But I do regularly find people asking questions on here and I'm thinking 'wow' what a question to ask, 'why didn't I think of that'? I'm just learning all the time!
    Yes, please note that I will be taking (as many as possible) questions from folks watching "One Way" during the event. I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to Brad. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com) any question to Brad, and I will try to read her as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

Gassho, J

SatToday

I'll be there one way.
    Gassho,
    Marco

satoday

Hope to be there one way ,have just started the book.

Looking forward to this,

Gassho

Jinyo

Sat today

I thought I wasn't going to be able to sit live, but it looks like it's doable now. If there's room, count me in! If not, I'll sit one way. Thanks so much for putting this together!

Hi kazashimo.

Everyone is different - in my case questions often pop up hours later or even the next day. It's not that I am actively pondering about it, but perhaps I am under the shower or preparing a meal, etc.
    Perhaps it's the subconscious mind processing/working things out, who knows...

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

Mp
    Hey folks,

Here is the link for Group #1: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...-GB&authuser=0

Here is the link for Group #2: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...=en&authuser=0

Waiting list people for Group #2 may come in. Group #1 we are waiting for Brad, so please stand by. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Mp
    Group #2 folks may come into the hangout now ... https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...=en&authuser=0

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Mp
    Group #1 ... please stand by as we are still waiting for Brad. Thanks. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Mp
    Group #1 and group #2 can come in now. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Question for Brad:
    Is the title "Don't be a Jerk" your paraphrasing of Dogen's main exclamation, or a comment on your exclamation for the reader while taking in Dogen's riff???
    Thx
    Shinzan

My connection kept crashing, so I guess I'm done. Hope to watch tonight what I missed. Thanks again for putting all this together--I know it was a lot of work!

Gassho,
    Meredith
    SatToday

I'm at work, looking forward to joining later.

Gassho, and thank you to Brad for coming!

Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Mp
    Ok, that was just awesome! Thank you very much Jundo for making that possible and thank you to everyone for your great questions! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Fantastic.

Thank you Brad, Jundo, and Sangha.

Deep Bows
    Daizan

sat today

That was really something special.

Thank you all.

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Thanks, Brad. Hearing more about Dogen's context and your perspectives was very helpful. Keep going!
    _/st\_ Shinzan

Thank you, Jundo, for arranging this event and thanks to everyone else involved.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

yes agree with Shingen, watched one way and thanks everyone and especially Jundo for making this happen
    Deep bows to all
    Gassho
    Kazashimo ~~sat today~~

Awesome. Thank you dear Sangha, Thank you Jundo!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Awesomeness, thank you!

..sat2day•合掌

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

Eishuu
    That was wonderful. Really fascinating. Thankyou Brad, Jundo and everyone.

Gassho
    Lucy
    Sat today

Brad, Jundo and all others who made this possible, thank you for this illuminating talk. Also, the double hangout screens looked really impressive.

Gassho,
    Roland
    #SatToday

That was wonderful! Thanks Jundo, Brad and everyone for making it happen!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your contribution to this wonderful event.
    Thank you Jundo for organizing it and Brad for giving a very interesting talk.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today
    P.S. Yes, Jundo, I did have a question to Brad. It was about how to better read Dogen,
    but then I heard someone was ahead of me with the same via email

Thank you Jundo and to everyone for making this possible
    and thank you Brad for being such a great guest!

Deep bows
    and Gassho to all

Sat2day

Thanks for everyones efforts.

Gassho
    Doshin
    sattoday

I've not read Brad's books or heard him speak before. Really enjoyed this Thanks for making it happen.

FaithMoon
    st

Thank you Jundo for bringing Brad on board.

And thank you Brad for this teaching. Lots to non-think about

I really need to re-watch the video of this talk.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatWithBradToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Yugen
    I agree w Kyonin. I'm going to watch Brad's talk again. An awesome visit. Thank you Jundo, and thank you Brad. Very impressive.

Deep bows
    Yugen

sat2day

I got home before the session last night to find I had no internet service!

Bu what I missed out on live, I was able to see this morning when my service was back up again. A wonderful talk by Brad, with some great questions from the group!

Great to see Brad finally on Treeleaf! Thanks go to him and of course to Jundo, not only for making this happen, but for his continued efforts to bring all of these wonderful teachers to us!

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

This was a wonderful experience - thank you Brad, Jundo and all others involved!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

Thanks to all - lots of questions coming up for me reading further into Brad's book - hope we will have further discussions here on the content.
    Or I might email him if only to reassure that being over 60 is really not that old!

Gassho

Willow/Jinyo

sat today

Quote Originally Posted by willow View Post
    Thanks to all - lots of questions coming up for me reading further into Brad's book - hope we will have further discussions here on the content.
    Or I might email him if only to reassure that being over 60 is really not that old!

Gassho

Willow/Jinyo

sat today
    Hah! Brad is not far from 60 (well, he is 52), although he is one of those folks who looks perpetually 28!

Gassho, J

SatToday

Really lovely meeting. Thank you Brad, Jundo and sangha. Some great questions there.

I am really enjoying Don't Be A Jerk (which is, after all, excellent advice even on the cover, possibly second only to 'Don't Panic') and have learned a lot about fascicles I have already read in other forms. As I know from my previous existence as a scientist, putting something in plain English is much harder than it looks as you actually have to understand it first!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast