Thread: Announcement: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY JUNE 5th with BRAD WARNER

Announcement: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY JUNE 5th with BRAD WARNER

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that a most honored guest, my Dharma Brother, a fellow student of Nishijima Roshi, and the bass player of Zero Defex, BRAD WARNER, author of a slew of books such as HARD CORE ZEN, SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP, and his latest and (if you ask me) best yet, DON'T BE A JERK and other Practical Advice from Dogen, Japan's Greatest Zen Master will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk next month, on SUNDAY JUNE 5th, LIVE. Please come sit with us and shut up.

DON'T BE A JERK is Brad at his best. Here is my little review at Amazon:

ShoboGONZO

I am pretty impressed and tickled by the whole thing. This book is just a brilliant interpretation. As he says, it is not meant as a line by line rewriting, and more of a quick thumb nail glimpse with a good bit of humor and fairly free interpretation. Nonetheless, Brad manages to convey the heart and sense of each passage. Just wonderful, a takes a kind of genius to pull this off. I think what he has done is just a blast and really funny too, while still being poignant and amazing.

more here ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R2RV..._=glimp_1rv_cl
    A little about Brad for those who don't know ...

HOW TO JOIN OUR ZAZENKAI LIVE:

The festivities will begin at 10am California time Sunday June 5th (that is New York 1pm, London 6pm and Paris 7pm, all on Sunday June, 5th). Our sitting schedule will look like this ... perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Brad for 30 minutes or so, and some Questions from our participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the Talk and Q&A.

Of course, the Zazenkai will be recorded and available to sit 'real time' at any time thereafter.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE LIVE 'TWO-WAY' BY GOOGLE+ HANGOUT:

I will try to have TWO HANGOUTS going simultaneously on two separate computers and separate wifi routers . If you feel you are a person who would like to attend, are familiar with Google+, and have a reliable computer and good internet connection, please post in this thread that you would like to attend and can commit to attend at that time. (If you have any question on how to sign up for Google+, please PM SHUGEN or SHOKAI and we will do our best to get you up to speed)

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout, and up to 9 seats available in the second Hangout. We will also accept a waiting list of folks in case there is need. I will announce Hangout assignments a day or two before the actual event, and provide further instructions for getting in.

If you wish to sit live, but only One Way instead of Two Way, the Zazenkai will be livecast on Youtube for one way viewing, and I will be accepting Questions for Brad via email during the Zazenkai, if you have. Remember, our way is "Not One Not Two Way!"

It would be great to fill our hangouts and have a big turnout. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and commit can come, please post in this thread. It will be worth your time.

Please make sure you state clearly "have Google+ and hope to sit in Hangout TWO WAY" if so, or ONE WAY. Otherwise I will be confused about who is joining one way.

SO ... please attend, and DON'T BE A JERK!

Gassho, Jundo

Last edited by Jundo; 05-16-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Awesome! I'll definitely be there. Thank you for setting this up.

Gassho,
    Tyler.

For many reasons, I am very, very happy that Brad is doing this (and you made it possible).

People will be queuing, so I'd say I'll be one-way, live.
    I've got the latest book for birthday, but have neither finished it nor cool questions to ask.

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

I'd like to go--will give it a shot

Thank you for this.

Taishi
    sat today
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Mp
    Wonderful, wonderful! Thank you Jundo for making this possible ... I will for sure be there live! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Everyone, be sure to confirm "one way" or "two way" if you plan to attend.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Great! Thank you, Jundo. I intend to participate live, either two or one-way depending on the seat
    provision. I do enjoy reading his latest book now and think I'll finish it by then.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today

Thank you Jundo!
    I will participate "one way".

Gassho
    Mike
    Sat today

Jundo,

I will participate one way so others may engage, however if there are empty seats needing a smile I will slide in.

Gassho
    Doshin
    sattoday

Mp
    Opps, sorry about that ... I will two way if seats allow. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

I will participate "one way."

Hi,

I'll be there -one way watching on You Tube. Looking forward to it!

Gassho,
    John

Thanks a lot for making this event possible!
    Will be there one way (like Doshin, could also make it two ways if there are not enough people, but I'm still not very familiar with Google+ hangouts).

Gassho
    Ryo Do

Sattoday

Hopefully be there one way, but I will probably be working, will know more later.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I would be happy to sit one way.

gassho

Jakugan

Sat today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you for setting this up Jundo. Put me on the "if seating is available" two-way list.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I would like to try to do this two-way! Putting it on the calendar! Will strictly monitor daughter's data usage to conserve before then :-p

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    Last edited by Jakuden; 05-16-2016 at 10:09 PM.

I hope to participate, but I'll be doing so one-way. Thank you so much for setting this up, Jundo. I'm about halfway through Don't Be A Jerk (my first Brad Warner book, though I read his blog fairly regularly) and I think it's terrific.

Gassho,
    Ben
    SatToday

Thank you for your time and patience setting this up Jundo. Please also put me on the 2 way "if seating is available" list.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Jundo,

Thank you for this opportunity! If there are seats left, please count me in. It will be an honor to be there.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

And another highlight! I have hoped this day would come - thanks for making this possible!

While chances are good I will be there live, I cannot promise 100%. If there is still room available when the event starts, I will try to join two-way.

Thanks again and Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

I'll plan to be there one way

sat today
    Last edited by threethirty; 05-20-2016 at 05:05 PM. Reason: forgot sat today
    --Washu
    和 Harmony
    秀 Excellence

"Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body" George Carlin Roshi

Thank you Jundo! I would like to join in two-way if there is room. If not, I don't have any particular questions, and will happily sit one-way.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

This is wonderful! Thank you, Jundo. I plan to be there one-way.

Gassho,
    Deirdre
    sat2day

Finally great news.

Please sign me up if there is still room!

Gassho
    Ongen
    Sat Today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Quote Originally Posted by Ongen View Post
    Finally great news.

Please sign me up if there is still room!

Gassho
    Ongen
    Sat Today
    One way or two?

Gassho, J

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    One way or two?

Gassho, J

SatToday
    If there's place, two way!

Gassho
    Ongen
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

I'll be there 2-way if there's room; 1-way if not

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Hi Jundo and all, I'll be one way--watching on YouTube--I'm looking forward to this, and if I have questions I'll ask with e-mail. Thank you for this opportunity,

TaiShi
    sat this morning
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Wonderful! Thank you Jundo. I will be there one-way, to share practice with our Dharma Uncle.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Hello,

Participating "one-way".

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

I would like to participate one way. I have read the first two chapters and love it so far! I never really understood direct translations of Dogen and Brad's book makes him much more accessible. Thanks for arranging this.

..sat2day•合掌

Dear All,

I have now locked this thread, and moved the festivities to our main thread, including the screen to watch "one way" and SEATING ASSIGNMENTS for folks joining "two way."

BRADZENKAI MAIN PAGE & SEAT ASSIGNMENTS
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...487#post179487

Some folks are on wait list, based on their indicated preferences and names selected from a hat. I am surprised, but there is not quite enough people to open the experimental second Hangout (if a few more people commit to attend, I may do so. I have not, because there are some signal interference/technical issues, but I will try if there are enough additional folks. There is still time. If additional folks are interested and can commit to come TWO WAY, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo) and I will set up a second hangout. )

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-31-2016 at 02:28 AM.