Thread: Heart Sutra Chanted in Three Languages

Heart Sutra Chanted in Three Languages

Not sure exactly how much I am learning from the Harvard Buddhism course, but I sure have bookmarked a whole lot of interesting links from it! Here is a link to the Heart Sutra being chanted in three different languages, for anyone interested, including Tibetan throat-singing I think I may use these for my own sits sometimes, they are quite stirring.
    http://themathesontrust.org/library/heart-sutra-audio

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Mp
    Awesome, thank you for the link. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Not sure exactly how much I am learning from the Harvard Buddhism course, but I sure have bookmarked a whole lot of interesting links from it! Here is a link to the Heart Sutra being chanted in three different languages, for anyone interested, including Tibetan throat-singing I think I may use these for my own sits sometimes, they are quite stirring.
    http://themathesontrust.org/library/heart-sutra-audio

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    I also find that the Korean Heart Sutra tends to have some jump ... here are a couple of versions (the first features statues of the 500 Arhats, each with a unique personality, said to represent the Buddha's original students) ...

another ...

... and, of course, one of our dance versions (Japanese) ...

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-16-2016 at 03:37 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Some more ...

Shasta Abbey / Order of Buddhist Contemplatives has always been very interested in Christianizing Soto Teachings, and express their Heart Sutra as a Gregorian Chant ...

http://www.shastaabbey.org/audio/musicGreatwisdom.mp3

and, another dance version from Gary Dyson (it is the long version, a few extra verses at the beginning and end, as they chant in Tibet) ...

and there are more R&B, heavy metal, Bollywood ...

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Lovely. Thank you, Jakuden! In my time I have chanted this in English, Sino-Japanese, Sanskrit and Tibetan.

This is a lovely Sanskrit version.

Also, here at FreeBuddhistAudio as a call and response.

Kokuu
    #sattoday

Thank you Jakuden and all for the links.
    Here's another version of the Korean Heart Sutra (Kwan Um tradition) I've chanted with for a time
    before, which I find nice and heart moving.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today

Mp
    Love this! ... How wonderful that however sung or whether in a different language, the Heart Sutra always expresses such beauty! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Not so much a chant as a song; this is my favourite non-chanted Heart Sutra (in Chinese)...

(The opening and closing "Jie di jie di bo luo jie di bo luo seng jie di pu ti sa po he" = "Gate, gate, paragate, parasamgate, Bodhi svaha"...)

Gassho,
    Anshu

-st-
    Last edited by Anshu Bryson; 05-16-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Excellent, thanks all!! For some reason I wasn't allowed to see yours though, Anshu. Not available in my country. I'll have to look around and see if I can find it on someone else's youtube account.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Love this! ... How wonderful that however sung or whether in a different language, the Heart Sutra always expresses such beauty! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    Exactly! Thanks everyone, for posting.

This has been one of my favourite versions for several years now...

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Joyo
    Here's one more, just beautiful.....

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Hi guys,

I thought it would be interesting to share a couple of nice versions of the Heart Sutra.

Here's a Chan version in Spanish:

And here is Monja (Nun) Cohen from Brazil chanting in Portuguese (jump to 2:30)

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatAndChantedToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍