Thread: Shohaku Okumura's Successor

Shohaku Okumura's Successor

Many of you may know who Shohaku Okumura is from our Treeleaf reading list. He is a Dharma Heir to Uchiyama Roshi, and one of the most important figures in keeping Dogen's practice alive in the West (in my humble opinion).

He is currently the abbot of Sanshin-ji in Bloomington, IN, and has recently announced that his successor has been chosen, to be fully installed as abbot after a period of seven years. I thought that some of you might be interested to read his letter of succession:
    http://www.sanshinji.org/uploads/4/4...ion_letter.pdf

There is a video as well:

I think it also says a lot about the democratization of Zen in the West (and the future strength of the tradition) that Okumura has chosen not only a Westerner, but also a woman, to carry on his legacy.

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Lovely. All good hopes for their Community. We have friends there that have been very helpful to us over the years too.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Wonderful news, thank you for sharing Kaishin ... I wish all the best for the success of their community, they have offered so much. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

I really believe that Buddhism s future is in the west because patriarchal religions are history and balanced matriarch / patriarch religions are the future. Bows to Okumura for his openness.

SAT today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

A very gracious and perceptive letter, recognizing the changes that have grown up in America while embracing the deepest intent of the ancients. Very encouraging to this simple practitioner. All best wishes for that stream.
    _/\_ Shinzan