Thread: Eight Realizations of Great Beings

Eight Realizations of Great Beings

Hi all

I enjoyed this podcast, based on the Shobogenzo fascicle Haichi Dainin Gaku: https://www.upaya.org/2016/03/senauk...-great-beings/

In summary, the eight greats are:

1. Having few desires
    2. Knowing how much is enough
    3. Enjoying serenity
    4. Diligent effort
    5. Not neglecting mindfulness
    6. Practicing meditation
    7. Cultivating wisdom
    8. Not engaging in hollow discussion

Kokuu
    #sattoday

Mp
    Thank you Kokuu, will have a listen this morning over coffee. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you for the link, Kokuu.

Gassho
    Washin
    ST

Thank you for this Kokuu! I like these podcasts and listen to them in the car. You know, I often worry/internally criticize myself for having become "too boring." I feel like I am not a very exciting spouse, parent or friend anymore and fret about it. Reading this list, I realized that much of the way I am nowadays is because I desire little besides peace, and (when I have the choice)choose to spend my time in meditation or quiet effort, eschewing "hollow conversation." It feels like a good, balanced place to be, but others around me truly don't get my lack of a bucket list. Being safe, warm and fed... (never mind employed, entertained, educated...) just isn't enough for most folks these days; but this list helps me feel that perhaps I am not the one lacking.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Hi.

Great text and talk!
    Thank you for the link, we had an dharmatalk around that text for the Nehan-e last year here: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...START-TIME!%29

Thank you all for your practice.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

#Sat2day
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Oh wow, this is great Fugen, can't wait to listen... I think this will be my Dharma talk when sitting tonight

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Thank you for this Kokuu! I like these podcasts and listen to them in the car. You know, I often worry/internally criticize myself for having become "too boring." I feel like I am not a very exciting spouse, parent or friend anymore and fret about it. Reading this list, I realized that much of the way I am nowadays is because I desire little besides peace, and (when I have the choice)choose to spend my time in meditation or quiet effort, eschewing "hollow conversation." It feels like a good, balanced place to be, but others around me truly don't get my lack of a bucket list. Being safe, warm and fed... (never mind employed, entertained, educated...) just isn't enough for most folks these days; but this list helps me feel that perhaps I am not the one lacking.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    Hey, welcome to the club. =) People at work seem to think I'm boring also, because I don't drink and party and my idea of a good time is to spend an evening sitting zazen, then watching Netflix or reading a book. The nice thing about getting older though is that we care less and less of what others think of us. =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today