Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brad Warner's first talk on his new book

Brad Warner's first talk on his new book

Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Thanks, Kaishin.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Thanks, Kaishin.

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday
    Last edited by Mp; 02-29-2016 at 08:07 PM.

[QUOTE=Shingen;174041]
    Thanks, Kaishin./QUOTE]

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Thanks Kaishin!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you. A very interesting little talk introducing Dogen. I am very much looking forward to this book. The small portion he reads sounds great.

Future book club selection? Hmmm. I will be back on that after I read it.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-01-2016 at 03:35 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Kaishin,

Gassho.
    David
    sattoday
    If you miss the moment, you miss your life - John Daido Loori

Hi,

I will read his book as I have all the previous ones. Thus far I have found them entertaining but somewhat repetitive with lots of "cool" stuff from his personal life which endears him to a younger crowd. What he says attracts people to Zen but I would hope that his students quickly develop a deeper understanding of Zen and move on to a more capable teacher. His contribution to Zen is very important as a promoter of Zen.

Just my opinion.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Thank you! I cant wait for this book

Gassho

Risho
    -sattoday

Thank you for sharing the link, Kaishin.

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday

Review by Dosho Port. Actually more encouraged to get it after this than when hearing the talk.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wildfoxzen/2016/02/review-of-brad-warners-latest-dont-be-a-jerk.html

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Thank you Kokuu for the link.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

I have to say, although I am only through the first two chapters ... Bendowa and Fukanzazengi ... I am pretty impressed and tickled by the whole thing.

Of course, it is not a line by line rewriting ... more of a quick thumb nail glimpse with a good bit of humor and pretty free interpretation.

But just wonderful so far.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Kyotai
    Will check it out.

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

I'm a couple of chapters in as well and so far I am finding it very useful.

Gassho,

Jiken

So far so good. Several chapters into it.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Hi.

Looking forward to Reading it.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

#Sat2day
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Amazon has just informed me about the book being dispatched.
    So I'll get it in a couple of weeks, I hope.

Gassho
    Washin
    st

ok I'm behind, I thought the release date mid-march! I'm going to have to get this thing. lol

Kyotai
    March 25th is the release date on Amazon.ca

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

Amazon started shipping early. I got mine from Amazon several days ago....I had preordered

Gassho
    Doshin
    Sattoday

Just got my e-copy on Kobo, spring sun is warming up here in Holland.
    Time to finally lay down that flagstone terrace in the backyard and read

Gassho
    Ongen
    Sat Today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

A review copy arrived in my mailbox last. Now to add to the "on deck" stack of books.

Gassho,
    Sven
    Words and ideas are a description of reality, silence is a negation of reality. What is the reality itself? — John Daido Loori

blog: http://www.svendavisson.com

Anyone finished reading? I haven't purchased yet--was hoping to get some more feedback here first. Thanks!
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)

I am about finished, and "Don't Be A Jerk" is wonderful. Of course, one thing is that I am already pretty familiar with the standard English translations that he is playing off, so I think what he has done is just a blast and really funny, poignant and amazing. It may still be a little hard to follow, however, for folks not so familiar with Dogen (and hard to follow anyway even if you are because, well, Dogen is Dogen even when Bradicized). However, I think the book is suited to anyone, and easy reading overall, funny and insightful. This book is just a brilliant interpretation, he did a masterful job.

Parts are hilarious, including how he took all of Dogen's classical style poetry and made em cheezy rhymes!

I am planning on inviting him here as a guest if he will join us to lead a Zazenkai. Unless he is a jerk.

I'd like to hear what others thought of the book.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-07-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks, Jundo -- that's all the recommendation I need. I'll pick it up. I've trudged through most of Dogen's major fascicles, and I think it will always be rough going for a layperson. Sounds like this book will help bring his words to life.
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)

Kyotai
    So I'm getting through the book slowly. I am enjoying it, and find that Brads break down on Dogen are easy to understand even for a dumb dumb like me

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

I'm on page 58. It's good. Very off-beat and informal way of approaching a subject that doesn't exactly have the reputation of being light reading. I'd recommend it.

Gassho
    Sat Today
    James

Ive listened to that podcast for the last few weeks, and the FAQ is hilarious and beautiful. Easily the best thing of his ive read (or heard).

Not able to afford it ATM, but definitely on my list. Id like to see him here one day too.

Geoff.
    SatToday.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Good to see you Geoff.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

I think I am about 3/4 through, finding it very enjoyable!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Very good so far (about 50% through).

Perhaps we could do a book club on this? Maybe with a tandem reading of Warner/Nishijima+Cross/Tanahashi for each fascicle?
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)

That's a great idea Kaishin! I've been doing that too. lol I just finished the chapter on One Bright Pearl. I've been reading the Nishijima-Cross chapter, read the chapter in Brad's book, then re-reading the N-C chapter again. It's slow going, but it has to be because there is a lot.

I really like the book -- it's a good gateway drug into Dogen.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Last weekend I walked into my local bookshop in Jakarta, where they used to have far too many 'Osho' books for my liking, to find copies of 'Don't Be A Jerk' and Kaz Tanahashi's work on the Heart Sutra for sale, so I got them both (even though I already had the Kindle versions!)! Things are looking up!

Gassho,
    Anshu

-st-

I thought this was a great "modern" introduction to Dogen and his teaching. I read the first book of the Nishijima-Cross translation last summer. Brad really brings the words out of the book for me. I was also very impressed by the last chapter on what Zen Buddhism is to him. Sangha really means a lot more to me now. Highly suggested imho.

Gassho,
    Caisson

sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post
    Very good so far (about 50% through).

Perhaps we could do a book club on this? Maybe with a tandem reading of Warner/Nishijima+Cross/Tanahashi for each fascicle?
    Hi Kaishin,

I considered this, but the structure of the book does not seem to lend itself to book club. It is still rather a thorny maze. I am trying to get Brad here for a talk though.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I am trying to get Brad here for a talk though.
    Don't push too hard

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)

Don't push too hard

-satToday
    Echo.

Simple, friendly invite, once a year, leave it at that, I'd say. He will come around one of these days.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Highly recommend. nandi-satoday

Brad will be here to lead a Zazenkai Netcast in early June. It is all confirmed.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Brad will be here to lead a Zazenkai Netcast in early June. It is all confirmed.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Wonderful, looking forward to it. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Fantastic!!! Hopefully those who partake in the live G+ sessions will have some good questions for him! Looking forward to it.

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)

Great news!

Gassho
    Sat today

Thank you, Jundo. Good news. Looking forward to this.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today

Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)

sat today

Thanks, Kaishin!

I am really enjoying 'Don't Be A Jerk'. Often I get myself stuck thinking of Brad as our 'too cool for school' Zen brother who is more interested in fame than practice but when I read his stuff (and especially here) it is clear he really knows his Dogen (at least as much as anyone else does!) and enjoys sharing his passion and knowledge with as many other people as he can.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Thanks, Kaishin!

I am really enjoying 'Don't Be A Jerk'. Often I get myself stuck thinking of Brad as our 'too cool for school' Zen brother who is more interested in fame than practice but when I read his stuff (and especially here) it is clear he really knows his Dogen (at least as much as anyone else does!) and enjoys sharing his passion and knowledge with as many other people as he can.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday
    Haha well put!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Thanks, Kaishin!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday
    I had the same feeling, even more after visiting a book-presentation of his previous book, where he only talked about himself (the story that is in all of his books), UFO's and other random stuff and forgot to bring any books haha! But just like everyone else he has his off-days. With the previous book I already had the idea there was more there than just being a brilliant zen-brat (I mean no disrespect with that!) but with this new book I really feel he has taken another big step. I love it.

Gassho
    Ongen
    Sat Today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Oh lets talk about Brad.

I see the same thing in Brad that I see when I look in the mirror: someone who still seems to cling to stories and define oneself by likes, dislikes, attitudes, and experiences. I define myself, and I define others too:

I am awkward and shy, but earnest.
    Andy is sensitive, insightful, and creative.
    Jishin is oppositional, mischievous, and slyly brilliant.
    Jundo is wise, forward-thinking, and zealous with his fonts.
    Brad is a zen-brat but knowledgeable and sincere in his teaching.

Or not.

How the hell would I know what’s in someone else’s heart and mind? I make these judgements all the time, but for all I know you guys are all robots. From space. Doesn’t matter. These distinctions and definitions have little substance. Everyone comes bearing gifts, everyone has something to teach. Learning happens when we approach people and things with a don’t-know mind and a spacious heart. Even better than learning, is just being present and open, open, open.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast