Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATTENTION! Our "AT HOME" 2-DAY ROHATSU RETREAT - December 4th to 6th! BE READY!

I'l be there live one-way. I'm really looking forward to retreating with you all! I'm just coming out of the super-busy season at my one job, and about to go into the super-busy season at my other job, so the timing is perfect to get still and quiet for a couple days. I've spoken to Sweetie and asked him to please not tiptoe around, to go ahead and play his horrible screaming-car-chase-shoot-em-up-explosion-movies, play with the dog, stomp up and down the stairs, just go about his normal weekend activities and ignore me floating around in samadhi. Noise and movement doesn't bother me, all I need is just to be ignored. He knows I'll be silent and he has no complaints about that! Seriously, he's very supportive. Big thanks to him and all the spouses and families that support our practice.
    And big thanks to our wonderful priests and engineers and volunteers who are organizing the retreat. Jundo, doing the retreat overnight (starts at 11pm his time, I believe) for us so the timing will be more convenient for more people... I know you never sleep anyway, but much gratitude to you for your sacrifice and service!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    I'll give Pops a wave

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra529 View Post
    From here, Pops is more than welcome.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday
    Thanks Daizan and Sierra you two are awesome!

Gassho

Clarisse Sat2Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this one continual hangout or does Google stop it in 4 hour intervals? Just curious.
    Also, if we are live on a hangout and it's full, shouldn't we hop off to one-way in parts to give others opportunity to come in two-way?

Gassho!
    Rodney #sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Is this one continual hangout or does Google stop it in 4 hour intervals? Just curious.
    Also, if we are live on a hangout and it's full, shouldn't we hop off to one-way in parts to give others opportunity to come in two-way?

Gassho!
    Rodney #sattoday
    Hi Rodney,

Each "Unit" will be it's own Hangout ... so they will vary in length from 30 minutes (for Oryoki and Samu) to about 4 hours for the longest set.

Yes, if we actually have a crowding issue this year (that would be wondeful!) it would be nice to hang back to give others a chance if you have already been in one.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    For anyone that would like to print out the retreat "main page" and schedule, here is a printer-friendly version without all the forum controls, nicer margins, etc.:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...le-2015-v2.pdf

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thanks Jundo. Will plan on rotating in and out if our hangouts are full.
    Sekishi thanks that PDF is handy!
    Gassho
    -r

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banto (aka Rodney)
    万磴 (Myriad StoneSteps)

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    For anyone that would like to print out the retreat "main page" and schedule, here is a printer-friendly version without all the forum controls, nicer margins, etc.:

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Hi,

Thank you for this, Sekishi. Just to mention, some small adjustments to content since the PDF was made. Times are all the same, just some content changed (Such as adding a Talk by Shugen at Day 1 Unit 7 from 6:30).

Gassho, Jundo

Thank you Jundo, for all the Rohatsu preparations; I have cleared my schedule and intend to participate fully.
    looking forward to sitting with all of you
    Gassho
    Marina sat today

Thank you for this opportunity!

Elgwyn
    sat today
    Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Thank you for this, Sekishi. Just to mention, some small adjustments to content since the PDF was made. Times are all the same, just some content changed (Such as adding a Talk by Shugen at Day 1 Unit 7 from 6:30).
    The PDF has been updated with the recent changes, and I added the reading (it is now 11 pages printed for me):

The URL is unchanged, and I will keep the linked document up-to-date as needed up until the beginning of the retreat.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

Hi

Oh, I just noticed there's only one Oryoki period per day this year. Not complaining, just confirming that is intentional and not an oversight?

Thank you Sekishi for the schedule, that's very helpful and handy!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Mucho gracias Sekishi, very handy print out!

Gassho
    Randy
    sattoday

Hello dear Sangha,

I am looking forward to sitting this retreat with you.
    Over here, all but two units will be possible live and those two fit into the morning of day 2.
    Feeling a little bit like planning an adventure trip... Oryoki set ready... ;-).

Gassho,
    Ralf sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
    Hi

Oh, I just noticed there's only one Oryoki period per day this year. Not complaining, just confirming that is intentional and not an oversight?
    Yes, there is only breakfast, what's with that??? No spilled soup this year?

Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    Yes, there is only breakfast, what's with that??? No spilled soup this year?

Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday
    Hi,

Breakfast in some places is dinner in others.

Yes, in order to have the Retreat "fit" this year in most time zones, some Oryoki had to be cut from the formal schedule. HOWEVER, the wonderful aspect of our schedule is that one can "replay" the event again and again and again, so please feel free to add Oyoki and other events as you wish (the Ritual is always just the same). Because most time Zones have a relatively open stretch during either the morning or evening (for example, California starts early, but also finishes relatively early in the evening), you could do so and add additional Oryoki, Samu, Zazen as you wish. You can even join in with Oryoki from last year too!

In fact, play all the Retreat events twice ... and it is now a 4 Day Retreat!

The Oyoki I am guiding, by the way, will happen about 3AM Japan time. So, I am giving up to consider whether that is Breakfast or just a very formal Midnight Snack.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-30-2015 at 06:55 PM.

This is new for me, and I sat several 1 1/2 hr. Zazenkai, a year ago I stumbled into this retreat, and considering I was fairly new, made it about 4 hours. This year I will sit as much as possible in preparation for Jukai. Recordings are good for me to "catch up." I am committed to sit as much as is physically possible. Thank you for this opportunity.

Elgwyn
    sat today
    Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Elgwyn View Post
    This is new for me, and I sat several 1 1/2 hr. Zazenkai, a year ago I stumbled into this retreat, and considering I was fairly new, made it about 4 hours. This year I will sit as much as possible in preparation for Jukai. Recordings are good for me to "catch up." I am committed to sit as much as is physically possible. Thank you for this opportunity.

Elgwyn
    sat today
    Gassho
    As much as you can and is healthful, Elgwyn. Take care of your health.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Jundo,

Wow, 3 AM? Thank you for doing that to make the schedule better for some of us. I hope you will at least get some coffee!!

Question: I will be spending the retreat crammed into a room in our semi-finished basement... there is very little free wall space as it is filled with kids stuff, workout equipment, bookshelves etc. Not possible for me to find an empty room where I can be left alone in our small crowded house, I'm afraid. Is it ok if the woodstove is in the background when I will sit? I don't want to distract anybody with the fire.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra529 View Post
    Jundo,

Wow, 3 AM? Thank you for doing that to make the schedule better for some of us. I hope you will at least get some coffee!!

Question: I will be spending the retreat crammed into a room in our semi-finished basement... there is very little free wall space as it is filled with kids stuff, workout equipment, bookshelves etc. Not possible for me to find an empty room where I can be left alone in our small crowded house, I'm afraid. Is it ok if the woodstove is in the background when I will sit? I don't want to distract anybody with the fire.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday
    It is fine ... woodstoves, kids, piles of stuff, grandpa in his underwear ... no problem. Even if you were sitting in a hurricane or in a battlefield in wartime, no distraction.

Remember that there are no "distractions" except between your own ears!

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Looking forward to the experience. Need to go out shopping for food and cleaning supplies tomorrow.

gassho

sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Thank you so much for organizing this rohatsu. I will be there for both days. Just one question - I am still working on sewing my rakusu. Is it okay to work on that during the work periods or the rest periods?

Gassho, Jennifer
    Sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlatzgo View Post
    Thank you so much for organizing this rohatsu. I will be there for both days. Just one question - I am still working on sewing my rakusu. Is it okay to work on that during the work periods or the rest periods?

Gassho, Jennifer
    Sat today
    Hello Jennifer,

Of course, you can sew during the samu portion if you wish. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hello Jennifer,

Of course, you can sew during the samu portion if you wish. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday
    Good question Jennifer. I was planning on making a case for mine during one of the samu periods.

Thank you Shingen for the timely answer.

Gassho

Clarisse Sat2Day

I would like to mention that my wife Mina, accompanied by Ingrid (the woman from Mexico who has sat with me here in Tsukuba several times this past month) left yesterday to spend most of this week sitting with the female priests at the "Aichi Nisodo", the wonderful Soto monastery for women in Nagoya headed by Aoyama Shundo Roshi. Usually, no men allowed for their Sesshin.

They do things "old school" there, and it is said that the women are somehow more serious in training than many men (who, as you may know, are often young folks only in the monastery because they must take over from their father as a temple priest. The women, on the other hand, tend to all be in the monastery by personal choice and calling).

I am doing my part by watching the kids this week (although my mother-in-law has graciously offered to come over this weekend to put the kids to bed during the height of our Treeleaf Rohatsu Retreat. ).

If you would like to see a bit of the atmosphere at the Aichi Nisodo, here is a short film. Although in French, the visual images convey much.

Mina was up at 4am this morning for their first day.

Gassho, Mina's Husband

SatToday (after driving kids to school)
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-03-2015 at 03:10 AM.

Best wishes for your wife. Altho my french is pretty rusty, the video was great to watch. Aoyama Shundo is quite something.
    _/st\_ Shinzan

Joyo
    It is fine ... woodstoves, kids, piles of stuff, grandpa in his underwear ... no problem. Even if you were sitting in a hurricane or in a battlefield in wartime, no distraction.

Remember that there are no "distractions" except between your own ears!

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    This is wonderful advice, for rohatsu, and all of life--thank you, Jundo =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I would like to mention that my wife Mina, accompanied by Ingrid (the woman from Mexico who has sat with me here in Tsukuba several times this past month) left yesterday to spend most of this week sitting with the female priests at the "Aichi Nisodo", the wonderful Soto monastery for women in Nagoya headed by Aoyama Shundo Roshi. Usually, no men allowed for their Sesshin.

They do things "old school" there, and it is said that the women are somehow more serious in training than many men (who, as you may know, are often young folks only in the monastery because they must take over from their father as a temple priest. The women, on the other hand, tend to all be in the monastery by personal choice and calling).

I am doing my part by watching the kids this week (although my mother-in-law has graciously offered to come over this weekend to put the kids to bed during the height of our Treeleaf Rohatsu Retreat. ).

If you would like to see a bit of the atmosphere at the Aichi Nisodo, here is a short film. Although in French, the visual images convey much.

Mina was up at 4am this morning for their first day.

Gassho, Mina's Husband

SatToday (after driving kids to school)
    Very cool. I hope your wife or the Treeleafer shares her experience with us.

Gassho

Clarisse Sat2Day

Wishing all participants a peaceful and fruitful rohatsu.

Willow

Thanks for all of the efforts going into this. Gassho

Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I've updated the PDF version of the retreat "main page" with changes from the past few days (it is now 12 pages printed). Same URL as before:

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

I've updated the PDF version of the retreat "main page" with changes from the past few days (it is now 12 pages printed). Same URL as before:

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Thank you for your hard work.

Gassho

Clarisse Sat2Day

Hi Jundo and other priests,

Thank you--you have made me very happy with this celebration of the Buddha's Enlightenment. At home, as Jundo advises, I will be doing what I can--Jukai, the commitment to our path. I realized with Thich Nhat Hahn's (spelling) book on anger, that I had much to learn, and I've come so far. I once heard a 2 yr. old tantrum as the child's inability to communicate--what is there to communicate, what is there not to communicate. I see the application of the Tao in what is happening to me. This weekend (within my limits) fulfills my need for peace. And serenity, as I sit in Shinkantaza, just sitting, and Treeleaf has taught me so much--I am filled with Gratitude as I enter this weekend.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Thank you Sekishi. Really helpful.

Gassho
    Sergey
    sat-today

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Another teaching moment...things change

Thanks for your efforts.

Randy
    sittonight and all weekend

Thank you all so much for your efforts. I'll be sitting a Combo Special of live and recorded on Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning. As me and the kids always always watch The Muppet Christmas Carol on the first Saturday in December I will be starting a bit late... I did consider incorporating that into my first samu but even with the 'no distractions' mindset it seemed a bit of a stretch

Wishing you all a fruitful retreat

Libby
    sat today

Hope everyone has a wonderful retreat. Due to my circumstances I'll be sitting the recorded version later in the month but look forward to participating when I can.

Gassho,

Simon

Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Thank you all so much for your efforts. I'll be sitting a Combo Special of live and recorded on Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning. As me and the kids always always watch The Muppet Christmas Carol on the first Saturday in December I will be starting a bit late... I did consider incorporating that into my first samu but even with the 'no distractions' mindset it seemed a bit of a stretch

Wishing you all a fruitful retreat

Libby
    sat today
    I believe we can make the "Muppet Christmas Carol" into a special annual sacred Ritual in your house. Zen is very stretchy with the correct mindset.

Gassho, J

I believe we can make the "Muppet Christmas Carol" into a special annual sacred Ritual in your house. Zen is very stretchy with the correct mindset.

Gassho, J

Gassho

Clarisse Sat2Day

Just a note to all that our main Retreat page is now open ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...28MAIN-PAGE%29

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Hi,

okay, so after being very protective for weeks to keep this weekend available so I could sit live... of course, of course, I will now be working and traveling Saturday. A moment of "nooooooo!" followed by the voice of Jundo, and all of you, in my head... telling me it's ok, in fact it's better than ok. I'll be visiting 3 elderly & disabled people in a remote village who need help. I had to laugh at myself when I saw that my very first reaction was, "oh no, maybe I can delay seeing these people and sit my retreat." Haaa! Selfishness, desire, and ego are boundless! Thanks to you dear Sangha I saw right through that silliness. A good lesson! I am grateful.

So I may be able to start Saturday evening, or may have to put it off for another weekend, will see how it goes. Regardless, we will all be together within and without time, just as we always are. Happy Retreat to us all!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Hi,

okay, so after being very protective for weeks to keep this weekend available so I could sit live... of course, of course, I will now be working and traveling Saturday. A moment of "nooooooo!" followed by the voice of Jundo, and all of you, in my head... telling me it's ok, in fact it's better than ok. I'll be visiting 3 elderly & disabled people in a remote village who need help. I had to laugh at myself when I saw that my very first reaction was, "oh no, maybe I can delay seeing these people and sit my retreat." Haaa! Selfishness, desire, and ego are boundless! Thanks to you dear Sangha I saw right through that silliness. A good lesson! I am grateful.

So I may be able to start Saturday evening, or may have to put it off for another weekend, will see how it goes. Regardless, we will all be together within and without time, just as we always are. Happy Retreat to us all!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    Deep bows for your graceful acceptance of your Rohatsu teaching, Lisa... you will certainly still be sitting with us and doing wonderful practice.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Hi,

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    Looks like perfect practice to me We will all be sitting together through space and time.

Gassho

Clarisse Sat2Day

I just want to add that the Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite!

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hi all, missed sitting Sunday, will catch up with videos. The most moving for me was final sitting Sat. night, and I was included. Thank you all.

Elgwyn
    Gassho
    sat today

I am very much in pain sometimes, and Sunday afternoon was no exception. Again, Saturday night was very moving for me, sitting, moving, both readings, and my new webcam worked very well. I also was moved by being allowed to observe the session of eating rice with the beauty and gratitude of polishing and setting aside rice for the "hungry ghost," those who do not have enough to eat. When I was a boy we were very poor and a pot of beans and fry bread seemed like a feast, and at this moment I am moved to tears. Thank you for this. With much gratitude,

sat today
    Elgwyn
    Gassho _/|\_

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgwyn View Post
    missed sitting Sunday
    Hello Elgwyn,

You didn't miss anything at all ... we all sat together simultaneously side by side. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#justsat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12