Thread: The Five Remembrances

The Five Remembrances

I enjoyed this talk about the Buddha's Five Remembrances.

http://hzcpodcast.org/dharma-talks/2...5-remembrances

Thich Nhat Hanh's interpretation of the fifth remembrance really struck me: "My actions are my only true belongings."

Enjoy.
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

I always want to study these, but I forget (ok, Buddhist humor. lol )

Thank you Kaishin! I will check this out.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you Kaishin

Gassho

Ryan

#SatToday
    Breathe...Relax...Let Go...

Yes, lovely. Thank you. Buddhist folks love numbered lists for 2500 years because, well, it helps us remember ... not unlike the grocery list!

This is one of the classics, reaching back into the Suttas. Here is one version. I append a little comment to each ...

I am of the nature to grow old.
    There is no way to escape growing old.

When old, be old. When young, be young. Just flow with and embrace the flowing time, there is nothing to escape.

(Also, know that which is timeless, transcending "young and old, now and then" at the heart of the flowing)

I am of the nature to have ill health.
    There is no way to escape ill health.

When sick, be sick. When healthy, be healthy. Just flow with and embrace the body's moods, there is nothing to escape.

(Still, get regular check-ups, eat well, exercise and take you medicine. One can still embrace and take care at once)

I am of the nature to die.
    There is no way to escape death.

When there is death just die, when there is life just life. Just flow with and embrace all life and death, there is nothing to escape.

(Nonetheless, know that which transcends even human measures of "life and death", a Buddha's smile amid the tears of loss)

All that is dear to me and everyone I love
    are the nature to change.

There is no way to escape
    being separated from them.

When together, be together. When apart, be apart. Just flow with and embrace all union and separation, there is nothing to escape.

(However, nurture our loving relationships as best we can when together. Also, know the Union of life which transcends all separations.)

My actions are my only true belongings.
    I cannot escape the consequences of my actions.

My actions are the ground upon which I stand.

For as long as this life continues, for as long as our relationships last ... live doing good, live caring, live gently.

(If there is a next life, it sure will not hurt. In this life, it will leave this world, those around us and ourselves better, all not-two by the way).

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-11-2015 at 01:41 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for the additional commentary, Jundo!

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Thank you for the link, Kaishin.

Gassho
    Sergey
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post
    I enjoyed this talk about the Buddha's Five Remembrances.

http://hzcpodcast.org/dharma-talks/2...5-remembrances

Thich Nhat Hanh's interpretation of the fifth remembrance really struck me: "My actions are my only true belongings."

Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yes, lovely. Thank you. Buddhist folks love numbered lists for 2500 years because, well, it helps us remember ... not unlike the grocery list!

This is one of the classics, reaching back into the Suttas. Here is one version. I append a little comment to each ...

When old, be old. When young, be young. Just flow with and embrace the flowing time, there is nothing to escape.

(Also, know that which is timeless, transcending "young and old, now and then" at the heart of the flowing)

When sick, be sick. When healthy, be healthy. Just flow with and embrace the body's moods, there is nothing to escape.

(Still, get regular check-ups, eat well, exercise and take you medicine. One can still embrace and take care at once)

When there is death just die, when there is life just life. Just flow with and embrace all life and death, there is nothing to escape.

(Nonetheless, know that which transcends even human measures of "life and death", a Buddha's smile amid the tears of loss)

When together, be together. When apart, be apart. Just flow with and embrace all union and separation, there is nothing to escape.

(However, nurture our loving relationships as best we can when together. Also, know the Union of life which transcends all separations.)

For as long as this life continues, for as long as our relationships last ... live doing good, live caring, live gently.

(If there is a next life, it sure will not hurt. In this life, it will leave this world, those around us and ourselves better, all not-two by the way).

Gassho, J
    Thank you, Kaishin and Jundo. I can see how contemplating this list will bring us to contentment and happiness. It's true and there's nothing that we can do about it except accept it.

Thanks again.

Metta

Gassho

Clarisse Sat2Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just found this thread and it really resonated. Thank you, Kaishin, for bringing this up (years ago, but even so right now) and Jundo, for your zen twist on the Five Remembrances. Just commented so others can see it.
    Gassho
    Mateus
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J
    Bumping this in case others would like to refer to Jundo’s post after today’s guest talk.

Gassho,
    b
    Time to sit.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkerB View Post
    Bumping this in case others would like to refer to Jundo’s post after today’s guest talk.

Gassho,
    b
    Time to sit.

Gassho,

Jason

StLah

Doshin
    St

In case anyone is interested, Koun Franz recently did a podcast on the Five Remembrances. You can find it here.

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/z...05_00_00-07_00

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods