Thread: Useful zen apps

Useful zen apps

Hi guys,

Thought I'd share a couple of apps I use for my zen practice.

I know the insight timer is fairly popular as a meditation timer, personally I've never used it. I found the need to register a bit of a turn off so didn't bother.

Instead I use an app call Zen Time Lite. So far it's only available via the Google play store so Apple users will miss out (though of course insight timer is available on the Apple app store).

The lite version of Zen Time is enough for me; you can program a series of different timers, different bells and gongs and how many times they sound and when, interval timers, warm up and cool down periods, and it's free (which is a bonus). There is a paid version (there is also a demo of the paid version to have a play around with first) with a calender which records how often you sit and how long as well as how long you've done in total. The paid version also displays a quote each time the app is loaded (I think this option is customisable). Personally the free version is enough as all I needed was a timer.

You can get it from the app store here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cj0.mtimerlite

I also use an app called mokugyo, which, as the name implies, is a digital wooden fish and rin gong. The app is fairly simple and straightforward, you can choose from various gongs and fish to find the tones you like. The background images change when you hit the gong and feature various bits of japanese-esque scenery (the app is Japanese made). There is also a 'cat mode' where the rin becomes a "meow" and the background images are of a white cat. Frankly the cat mode seems a bit pointless other than a bit of fun but I have found the mokugyo and rin useful when chanting. This app is available through Google and Apple app stores for free:

Google play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...era.NewMokugyo

Apple App store:

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/moku...290161090?mt=8

I hope you guys find them useful if you choose to use them

Does anyone have anything similar that they use?

Gassho

Ryan

#SatToday
    Breathe...Relax...Let Go...

Most here use insight timer, I suspect. You'll find a lot of us there if you register.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Yeah insight timer; been using it for years; i like seeing treeleafers meditate lol

Gassho

Risho
    -sattoday

Amelia and Ryan, thanks for the app suggestions.

I downloaded insight Timer since Amelia and Risho said a lot of Treeleafers were ther

Gassho

Randy
    sattoday

Let me just mention that, with Ongen's help and design, we will soon be releasing a prototype of a little Treeleaf App for your review and input.

The app is very simple: A little phrase of Zen wisdom will pop up randomly, and is to be said accompanied by a number of breaths. It is for "those moments" during the day when one needs a little reMINDer of wisdom.

Look for this soon. Many of our members contributed to the pool of sayings.

We hope to release a few more simple apps in the future.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I use an app called "meditation helper," just a simple timer with bells. It does pop up to remind you to meditate once a day and keeps a sitting log. I also use the "bell of mindfulness" which is just a gong that rings at whatever time interval you want on your computer to remind you to stop and be mindful for a few moments.

Looking forward to the Treeleaf App :-)

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Thank you for this thread.
    For my daily practice I use "ZazenMeditationTimer", "Bodhi Timer" and "Mindfulness Bell"
    which I have downloaded from the Google market.
    I am now looking forward to the Treeleaf's new app.

Gassho
    Sergey
    sat-today

Hi,
    I am using "ZazenMeditationTimer", too.
    I am using it only as a simple timer with preset different timers with nice bells, which I can change (mp3 plus different preloaded bells).
    Personally, I've found the possible more complex setups like adding several sitting, pausing, kinhin, etc into one schedule not very helpful (stresses me somehow).

Gassho,
    Ralf sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Just explored the insight timer, I'm actually pleasantly surprised, didn't realise you could join specific groups (have since signed up and joined the treeleaf group in the app), it's pretty cool being able to see other treeleafers sitting with you as well as other people around the world

Looking forward to the treeleaf app

Thanks for your replies

Gassho

Ryan

#SatToday
    Breathe...Relax...Let Go...

I use zazen meditation timer too. Works well for me. Interested in a Treeleaf app!

Gassho, Entai
    (will be sitting in about an hour)

Hi guys,

I use Insight Meditation Timer everyday. It's great and they are about to release a new version with more thingies. But at the end, I only use it for the timer. It also has some nice bell sounds too.

Oh and I also use the mokugyo one. It's pretty good.

And as soon as it's ready, I'll use the Treeleaf app, of course!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thanks everyone!! I just downloaded Insight Meditation so that I may stay connected with you while meditating

Thank you for creating and sharing on this thread

Gassho

Clarisse Sat2Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Useful zen apps

Insight timer has 161 people in the Treeleaf group. It's nice to see other Treeleafer's sitting at the same time with me when I sit.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

PS: The only thing wrong with the Insight Timer app that I can see is that Jundo has not declared it the official Treeleaf timer since so many of us use it.
    Last edited by Jishin; 11-11-2015 at 01:24 PM.

I like the Insight Timer. With a bit of fiddling with the options and settings, it now sounds an inkin bell which sounds very much like the one we used at the Zen Center I used to be a member of; three times, slowly, allowing the full "sustain" of the bell to fade away, just as I was taught; and ending a 30 minute session with one sound of the bell. A small thing, but a comforting and familiar bit of "home away from home".
    Emmet

I have been using Bodhi Timer for the past few years.

It has a very simple design: you can choose between a Bodhi leaf which fades in or an enso which slowly completes its circle as the timer counts down.

Gassho

Since I'm on here, I've also used Insight Timer for meditation. I do forget many times and simply watch the clock, but I like the insight that little app gives into how many other people are also meditating. So many of them! Always brings a smile.

Gassho
    Ongen
    Sat Today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Let me just mention that, with Ongen's help and design, we will soon be releasing a prototype of a little Treeleaf App for your review and input.

The app is very simple: A little phrase of Zen wisdom will pop up randomly, and is to be said accompanied by a number of breaths. It is for "those moments" during the day when one needs a little reMINDer of wisdom.

Look for this soon. Many of our members contributed to the pool of sayings.

We hope to release a few more simple apps in the future.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Looking forward to that, sensei.

Gassho,
    Raf
    Sat today

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

I've just begun to use Insight and love it's simplicity and ease of use. Great app!

With the latest update to insight time I can start using it again, was having problems with the app not working correctly. I used to have the mindfulness bell back when I had a droid. Liked the randomness of it.

Gassho.
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

I like Zen time lite. It's a good app.

Kyle,
    Sattoday.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

if you have an Apple Watch, you can use it as a no-frills meditation timer:

http://www.mcelhearn.com/use-the-app...itation-timer/

Gassho,