Thread: Everyday Gassho

Everyday Gassho

Hi everyone!

I'm currently trying to integrate gassho into everyday life practice; giving a gassho and small bow/nod when greeting others and saying goodbye and when saying thankyou. I've felt a little self conscious at fist but am finding that melting away to reveal an enhanced sense of respect for others, allowing me to better see the buddha nature in all of us.

Do any of you guys do anything similar? How do you feel about this sort of practice?

Thanks for reading!

Gassho

Ryan

Sat Today
    Last edited by Ryan379; 11-01-2015 at 12:12 PM.
    Breathe...Relax...Let Go...

I either say this or Namaste. Something is good shows mindfulness.
    _/\_
    Gassho
    Sat today

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Mp
    Hello Ryan,

Well, it depends on who I am with, but in most cases I gassho in my heart and it is expressed with a smile. So that way we can part ways with a warm smile from the heart. Whether I shake hands, fist bump, or gassho, the heartfelt gassho is always present. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#justsat

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hello Ryan,

Well, it depends on who I am with, but in most cases I gassho in my heart and it is expressed with a smile. So that way we can part ways with a warm smile from the heart. Whether I shake hands, fist bump, or gassho, the heartfelt gassho is always present. =)

Gassho

Shingen

#justsat

That's really beautiful, shingen, thanks.

SAT today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Well, I live in Japan, and everybody bows to everybody here ... so this is easy!

Whenever I go back to the US, though, the checkout women in the grocery and taxi drivers always wonder and seem a bit confused why I am still bowing to them.

We have our Ango practice involving saying "thank you" throughout the day, and it strikes me as like this. Lovely Practice.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I second this!! Where I live it would scare folks if I bowed

Gassho

Randy
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    That's really beautiful, shingen, thanks.

SAT today

I like the sentiment. If I had to choose a greeting that conveyed genuine well-wishing to a stranger, I'd probably opt for a simple "How are you?" Though it is regarded--and often responded to--as banal or less-than-sincere among people who actually know each other (really just a precursor to the "meat" of the conversation), I think asking a passerby how they are conveys an openness, sincerity, and a warmness for others that extends beyond the typical close circle of compatriots. Of course, if I haven't sat zazen that day, I might greet even those that I love with a grunt or snarl.

Gassho,
    Matt
    (fortunately) SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Zuhair View Post
    Though it is regarded--and often responded to--as banal or less-than-sincere . .
    Perhaps a "verbal Gassho" is possible, it would depend on the greeting and the situation. For example even after a police officer had my car towed I surprised him with my last words to him of "Stay safe". Or a simple nod and smile to the TSA agent at the airport is probably much different from the typical response they receive.

Sat
    Last edited by Myogan; 10-26-2015 at 12:32 AM.
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Quote Originally Posted by Marc42968 View Post
    Perhaps a "verbal Gassho" is possible, it would depend on the greeting and the situation. For example even after a police officer had my cay towed I surprised him with my last words to him of "Stay safe". Or a simple nod and smile to the TSA agent at the airport is probably much different from the typical response they receive.

Sat
    Very cool. And very good.

Gassho

Randy
    sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hello Ryan,

Gassho
    Shingen

#justsat
    Yeah -- nothing more to say to that

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

I've been trying to do the same. It has been a little more awkward than I expected, but I feel that overcoming the awkward is a part of the practice of doing this exercise. For me, the visible act is important. My goal is to merge the physical demonstration and the verbal statement of thanks, which in Western culture I feel is lacking. I want to surprise or maybe throw people off in a little bit of an unexpected way. It helps to bring thankfulness to their mind as well, maybe helping them to be more visibly thankful as well.

Gassho,
    Ken
    SatToday
    The strength and beneficence of the soft and yielding.
    Water achieves clarity through stillness.

No... I stick to cultural norms in this area. Doing this seems like it would just create more separation and also awkwardness for the other party. Sometimes awkwardness is just awkwardness, not something that needs to be worked through.

I think Shingen has a reasonable approach.
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Hi Ryan,

I do gassho to everyone I can and with all my heart. Specially when I say thanks. Sure, people look at me funny, some smile, but at the end most of people will nod or bow back.

It's fun, but most importantly, to practice this makes you set the ego aside and lose the fear to be criticized.

Sometimes I also wear a clown nose

But then again, I'm that weird.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

No Kyonin, you're that awesome!

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

The 'hands together' greeting is common where I live, so I don't have to feel self-conscious. In fact, it fits right in...! balinese-greeting-5122537.jpg

I remember on time when I Gassho'd to a fellow Buddhist in a public setting, and a person who saw us asked me if I was "praying to Jesus" and asked if he could join us (I forget the rest of the circumstance). I believe I said something like, "No, we are Buddhists and that is a way of greetings and respect in Buddhist countries. However, we would be happy to pray to Jesus with you." So, as I remember, we all did.

Do not be surprised if folks in America and elsewhere assume your Gasshos are Christian prayers of some sort. I think it makes little matter if thinks so or what you think, for it is all Expedient Means to express what you wish to express, and the thanks and blessings flow all around.

Gassho, J

SatToday

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

What a wonderful question

I also gassho 'in my head' like Shingen. Right after Sesshin though when I'm used to gassho-ing all the time I sometimes, unthinkingly (is that a word?), do it 'out loud' . Usually people smile, and lately I do it on purpose now and then, and like in Jundo's and Kyonin's experience, to my surprise people do gassho back now and then with a funny smile. Somehow gasshoing out-loud i feel communicates something extra, more heartfelt than the usual 'have a nice day' to the cashier at the grocery store.

Gassho!

Ongen
    Sat Today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Ha, this is good timing. Last night we went to dinner at a local Japanese steakhouse where they do all the tricks with cooking. I love it! This is an annual tradition where we go for my and my sister in law's birthday; at the end they hit a portable, hanging metal drum (I don't know what it's called). They give us paper chef's hats and sing happy birthday to us in English and Japanese. At the end I gassho'd -- it was great! hahah

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Thank you everyone for reading and replying
    I use it a lot at work, especially with colleagues. I've occasionly added a (half jokingly) namaste, and funnily enough it's started to catch on! A few of my work mates have started giving me a gassho back and a namaste! So in that respect I feel it's broken down a lot of feeling self-conscious about the practice and makes it a bit more fun as well

I've also found it encourages me to be more courteous and mindful about how I interact with others if I give them a gassho as I say hello (or namaste ), thank you, goodbye etc. especially if I find myself feeling impatient or irritated by the individual (and working as a carer for 34 individuals with dementia impatience, stress and irritation do, unfortunately, arise from time to time), so I'm definitely finding it a beneficial practice so far

Gassho

Ryan

Sat Today
    Last edited by Ryan379; 11-01-2015 at 12:11 PM.

I try to gassho in my mind during the day. I also have something I do at the end of the day where I give a full prostration bow to three things or people who seemed challenging or difficult during the day. I find that throughout the day, when I come across a difficult person or situation, I think to myself, "this is going to be one of my 3 for the day". I do a mental bow at that moment and see what else the day brings.

Gassho, Entai
    #SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Entai View Post
    I try to gassho in my mind during the day. I also have something I do at the end of the day where I give a full prostration bow to three things or people who seemed challenging or difficult during the day. I find that throughout the day, when I come across a difficult person or situation, I think to myself, "this is going to be one of my 3 for the day". I do a mental bow at that moment and see what else the day brings.
    I like the idea of the prostrations to difficult or challenging people don circumstances, might be something I try working with

Thanks everyone again

Gassho

Ryan

#SatToday