Thread: October 2nd-3rd, 2015 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

October 2nd-3rd, 2015 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

The Talk today will reflect on "Wild Ways of the Precepts in Japan" ... (text below in this thread) ...

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 4am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-05-2015 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Reading: "Wild Ways of the Precepts in Japan"

It is not known if the precepts in sixteen articles resulted from Dogen’s own innovation or if he borrowed this group from another source. [Dogen, in a writing describing the ordination ceremony for his priests] states that the ordination ceremony described therein is exactly the same as the one conducted by [Dogen's Teacher in China] Ju-ching in 1225 when he administered the precepts to Dogen. The reliability of that assertion, however, seems doubtful. [from "Dogen and the Precepts" by Prof. Steven Heine]

================================================== ====================================

[The following is from a wonderful blog post, recommended to all, by Gesshin Greenwood on her experience of undertaking Jukai in Japan]:

If I could add a footnote here I would mention that the precepts are the same whether you are ordaining as a lay person, a monk-nun-priest, receiving dharma transmission (!), getting married, or you are dead and somebody is doing your funeral. It's all the same precepts.

The hard-line, conservative view [in Japan] of the precepts is that it doesn't matter if you're aware of the meaning or not; it doesn't matter if you believe in them or not. As in zazen, you sit and this is in itself enlightenment. Sutras abound with descriptions about how simply the act of receiving the precepts is the basis of our enlightenment. In this view, receiving the precepts does the work for you. There's some doctrinal debate about this, of course. According to Buddhist studies professor William Bodiford,

Kyogen [Dogen's disciple] argued in traditional Tendai fashion that the bodhisatva precepts are not merely precepts but actually embody the essence of the Buddha. Kyogo asserts that in contrast to the Hinayana precepts, which just control our karmic actions, the Mahayana bodhisatva precepts describe buddha nature (i.e., reality) itself. The Mahayana precept "not to kill" should be interpreted not as a vow against killing, but as a realization of living enlightenment that clears away the "dead," static entities of our illusions (Zen in the Art of Funerals).

This is pure esoteric-mumbo-jumbo gold. All this time I thought I was just vowing not to kill mosquitos! Turns out it's not about not killing, but about not needing to not kill because I'm already enlightened! Screw you, mosquitos! Wait, what? Ugh. That's not right.

http://thatssozen.blogspot.jp/2015/0...gibberish.html

================================================== ====================================

[More from Prof. Bodiford in "Bodhidharma’s Precepts in Japan"]:

Japanese Buddhists began to distinguish between conventional wording of the precepts (jikai) to which they assigned secondary importance, and the spiritual essence (kaitai) or ideal precepts (rikai), which became equated with Buddhahood itself. … [Accordingly], each of the individual bodhisattva precepts was (and is) conceived of as expressing a singular Buddha precept that transcends all distinctions-whether between so-called "hinayana vinaya" and precepts, secular life and monastic life, or good and evil. Although the nature of this unified precept is explained differently in various texts and in different schools of Japanese Buddhism, in general its absolute status rests on certain widely shared assumptions: the Buddha proclaiming the precepts is the ultimate Buddha…; each precept of the ultimate Buddha expresses the same unified, all-embracing ultimate reality that is Buddha nature (bussho) and thus the goal of the ordination ceremony is the proper ritual confirmation of this Buddha nature, cementing the bond that unites the limited, individual person to the universal, absolute Buddha.

The purpose of the ordination is not to instill morality but to confirm the inherent awakening naturally possessed by all beings. Thus behavior, either in conformity with or in violation of the precepts, is meaningless. What is important, however, is to have faith in the Zen lineage and faith in the ritual efficacy of the ordination procedure.

[More from "Sōtō Zen in Medieval Japan" by Prof. Bodiford]:

Dogen told [his Disciple] Ejo that the essential teaching of Zen is sitting in meditation. He argued …that it is mistaken to assert that the essentials of Zen could be found merely in observing the precepts. … Dogen repeatedly stressed that all three aspects of Buddhist learning (i.e., precepts, meditation, and wisdom) are found simultaneously within the act of Zen meditation. In the conversation just cited, he rhetorically inquired of Ejo: “When seated in meditation (zazen), what precepts are not being observed? What virtues are lacking?” … Dogen endorsed the statement that observing the Hinayana precepts entailed breaking the bodhisattva precepts [He even quoted this view as being the true teaching of the Buddha. Dogen argued that precepts common to both scriptures—such as the Hinayana vow not to kill and the Mahayana vow not to kill—actually differ as much as heaven and earth]**

**[Dogen’s writings contain no explanation of the difference between these two identically worded precepts. The Ryakusho [a commentary written in the first generation after Dogen], however, explains that Hinayana precepts merely control karmic actions, whereas Mahayana precepts describe Buddha-nature (i.e., reality) itself.]

… Finally, Dogen regarded the implementation of the Zen monastic codes as being more important than the precepts. The importance of the precepts lay in their power to ordain new monks, but the true expression of the precepts could be realized only through the routines of Zen monastic life. In other words, the observance of the precepts merely represented conformity to the daily conduct …

In 1872, the [Japanese] government promulgated an unprecedented law, the so-called "clerical marriage and eating meat" law, lifted the ban on clerical marriage, meat-eating, and the wearing of nonclerical garb by the Buddhist clergy. The law stated: “[F]rom now on Buddhist clerics shall be free to eat meat, marry, grow their hair, and so on. "

If you are interested, more on this from Gesshin, and the attitudes of many Buddhist priests in Japan to their callings ...

http://thatssozen.blogspot.jp/2015/0...nese-monk.html
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-02-2015 at 04:26 AM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live with bells ready. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thank you Jundo!

I'll try to be there live if the computer allows it

If not, I'll be there one way only.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I'll be working late tonight, but will join in when back home. Will make up the rest over the weekend.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Will be there live... Two way if there is a seat, one way if not

Gassho

Enviado desde mi XT1008 mediante Tapatalk
    Thank you for your practice

I will sit this one recorded. Thank you,

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

I'll be there if there is a cushion open (one-way if not)

I was away last week, so I look forward to seeing you all.

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Relatives visiting_ I will catch up with you all throughout the week.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Gesshin is such a great writer. I love her blog.

I will attend two-way if there are seats, but our internet connection is terrible today, so it might be 1.25-way at best! ^_^

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I'll be present two or one-way depending on free seats.

Gassho,
    Sergey
    sat-today

I will be there one way.
    _/st\_ Shinzan

I will be present! Thank you Jundo

Gassho,
    Caisson

sattoday

I'll sit with the recorded version, thank you.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

I will join recorded

Gassho
    trish
    sat today

Sounds like I am going to have other things going on tonight, will sit this one over the weekend!

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Thank you for the readings and post about the precepts as well as the zazenkai. I will be sitting with the recording of tonight's zazenkai.

Gassho,
    Laurie
    Sat Today

I will sit this one over the weekend.

Gassho
    Sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

I am going to miss the start. Will join in at the first kinhin if seats are available.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

Kyotai
    Connectivity issues this evening. Good to sit with you all.

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

Couldn't connect this time don't know why, but anyway great sitting with you all, have a great weekend

Gassho

Sat
    Thank you for your practice

Thanks, everyone. And even the crickets sang for us.
    _/\_ Shinzan

Thank you all for coming together to practice. Thank you Jundo for the timely (timeless) talk. ^_^

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #satandsattoday

This was the first time I got on 2 way when I expected sit with the recording. Sorry my mic was on at first. I didn't know it was off when red. There were some connectivity issues, but it was still wonderful, including the talk.

Gassho,
    Laurie
    Sat Today

Mp
    Wonderful talk Jundo and great to sit with you all. Have a great weekend. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thanks Jundo as always for your insight. Thanks Shingen for your chanting. Thanks Sekishi for your thoughtful question. Thanks everyone for your sitting.

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Thank you Jundo. Thank you Shingen. Thank you everyone.
    Have a happy weekend.

Gassho,
    Sergey
    sat-today

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you all who sat/will sit.

I tried to join, but had to sit one way. Still all is good.

Thank you for the talk.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi Jundo! I loved the 4 hr Zazenkai this evening(Evening for me since it was from 7pm till 11pm here in Florida). I truly enjoyed your teachings and loved hearing a little bit about how Zen Buddhism precepts came to be. I was unsure what to expect as this was my first 4 hr session, but I found your humor relaxing and very enjoyable. I look forward to many many more Zazens in the future

*deep Gassho*

Dean

Thank you everyone.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Sat with you this morning,
    Gassho!
    Lovely day ....

Rodney

BTW: My apologies for getting up in the middle of the talk, but I was called away on a mission of compassion and mercy: rescuing my wife from a frightful spider (and releasing said spider outside).

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

Thank you all.

Gassho,
    Ralf sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Finished sitting just now. Thank you all.

Gassho.

Simon

Sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    BTW: My apologies for getting up in the middle of the talk, but I was called away on a mission of compassion and mercy: rescuing my wife from a frightful spider (and releasing said spider outside).

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Dunnnn Dunnnn Dunnnhhhhhh

Amazing-Spider-Man-Renew-Your-Vows-2015-a906c.jpg

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Just sat part and will sit the rest tomorrow. Great talk, Jundo.
    Deep bows
    Daizan
    Sat today

"Renew your vows" is just delightful with double meaning in this case!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    #giggledtoday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    "Renew your vows" is just delightful with double meaning in this case!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    #giggledtoday
    You caught that one too eh. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thank you everyone, and thank you Jundo for the helpful explanation of the precepts and how they evolved... Very interesting!

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Sadly four hours of Internet time eats all of our satellite data for the month. But I was able to listen to the podcast. Great talk.

Kyle

sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Hudick View Post
    Sadly four hours of Internet time eats all of our satellite data for the month. But I was able to listen to the podcast. Great talk.

Kyle

sat today
    In such case, Chant the Heart Sutra and the Identity of Relative and Absolute ... read the Dedication ... recite Metta ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...t-Book-is-Here

listen to the Talk ...

http://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/octobe...epts-in-japan/

... and just sit as we sit, walk Kinhin as we walk, following the schedule as best one can ...

and you are right there with us, sitting all together.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Hi Kyle,

yes, speaking from the middle of nowhere here, where internet is slow and expensive, a good compromise is to watch the beginning and the end of the zazenkai, chanting along and bowing, but turn the live stream (or recording) off during the sitting and kinhin, and just use a timer to time yourself for those portions. Jundo usually stays right on schedule so it works pretty well. Hope that helps!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Excellent. Thank you both for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
    Hi Kyle,

yes, speaking from the middle of nowhere here, where internet is slow and expensive, a good compromise is to watch the beginning and the end of the zazenkai, chanting along and bowing, but turn the live stream (or recording) off during the sitting and kinhin, and just use a timer to time yourself for those portions. Jundo usually stays right on schedule so it works pretty well. Hope that helps!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    Yes, the one thing is that our video of sitting is basically indistinquishable from a still photo of sitting. Perhaps you can print out a screen capture, tape it to you computer screen, and it will look just the same.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Thank you Jundo, Thank you all for this sitting
    Gassho
    Gi shu-George
    Gi Shu -George

Thank you everyone!

Thank you Jundo! As always both insightful and entertaining

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday