Thread: A Koan, six perfections, and living practice.

A Koan, six perfections, and living practice.

Good morning Treeleaf,

Like many others, I find buddhism often a difficult way of life to apply. Different teachers have different temperments from even the same schools and subschools. Soto Zen so far is the most nose to the grindstone emphasis on the 'non-frivolous' aspect of right speech I have thusfar encountered. We're encouraged to sit before we even consider posting here and I can only hope, as always, that I remain within enough forgivable grace from far more experienced practioners that my imperfections of practice are reasonably forgived when I do risk typing lest I get a stern 'just sit' or a reminder to stay on topic all while mindful to not be shy or a chatty cathy.

There is a considerable molting process involved in applying the nuances of the eightfold path, ideal I'm assuming that a increasingly correct application of one 'fold' will shed increasingly correct insight and application to the other seven aspects and since the primary mode of interaction is a internet forum, the main mode of eightfold path upholding is right speech. In a real degree I wish there was the 'just shut up and do what the romans/monks do' aspect that is hinted as to what happens in monastaries before one inches into words but that is quite difficult considering the medium.
    With this said I'd like to share some thoughts on what I feel a living practice constitutes and hope it isn't too much on the forum. My premise comes from seven years of study and gradual implimentation of buddhism before Treeleaf and brief contact with brick and mortar sanghas when possible and hope this constitutes as a reasonable premise for such a long post.

I don't mention it often but perhaps I should since no one I met so far is a mind reader. I consider my sitting, application, and understanding of buddhism as working theory that I can only evolve if salient critique is provided and reasonable paitence for me to understand.

With that said..

I honestly get the feeling that some buddhists never really make it past reading and meditation for whatever reason, fear of failure, social rejection, lack of applicable understanding or whatever else. I think the handshake paramita that 'touches' interdependence and helps inform the other five paramitas of their development is dana/generosity. I make plenty of mistakes giving, the world is a complex place that buddhist philosophy for me isn't stand alone but informing of whatever local wisdoms and customs of wherever I'm at so I'm at the very least not engaging in those blatantly of the three poisons.

I really don't think giving in whatever sincere way one can think of can be avoided. Giving support, giving help, giving money (if you can afford it), giving whatever. I make mistakes...end up giving time to things that end up caustic without me knowing the outcome but I do learn from the experiences. I hope no one is ever too paralized by fear of failure to try dana like I was sometimes, you will fail sometimes, but preserverence is important when it happens. No one starts out a wise well heeled buddhist master.

Koans are points of contimplation on zen buddhism, Rinzai parables as I understand it and this one I find the most sincere obvious explaination of living buddhism from the Zen world.

This Koan, unlike the otherwise known to be vague ones or outright unimportant by some teachers I think touches living practice the best and offers obvious, salient evidence that Zen Buddhism is a very very lived practice that I hope sheds light on some confusion some may have.

'Publishing the Sutras'

Tetsugen, a devotee of Zen in Japan, decided to publish the sutras, which at that time were available only in Chinese. The books were to be printed with wood blocks in an edition of seven thousand copies, a tremendous undertaking.

Tetsugen began by traveling and collecting donations for this purpose. A few sympathizers would give him a hundred pieces of gold, but most of the time he received only small coins. He thanked each donor with equal gratitude. After ten years Tetsugen had enough money to begin his task.

It happened that at that time the Uji Rive overflowed. Famine followed. Tetsugen took the funds he had collected for the books and spent them to save others from starvation. Then he began again his work of collecting.

Several years afterwards an epidemic spread over the country. Tetsugen again gave away what he had collected, to help his people. For a third time he started his work, and after twenty years his wish was fulfilled. The printing blocks which produced the first edition of sutras can be seen today in the Obaku monastery in Kyoto.

The Japanese tell their children that Tetsugen made three sets of sutras, and that the first two invisible sets surpass even the last.

Metta,
    Greg

SatToday

Sent from my ALCATEL ONETOUCH P310A using Tapatalk
    “A fine line separates the weary recluse from the fearful hermit. Finer still is the line between hermit and bitter misanthrope.” - Dean Koontz

Dana, giving and generosity, is vital to our Practice.

Here is a place to start.

ENGAGED & CHARITABLE PROJECTS CENTER

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...ROJECTS-CENTER

Some other recent reflections by a member of Giving ... The art of giving - Dana Paramita ...
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-Dana-Paramita

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

A beautiful story, thank you for sharing it, Greg.

One thing I notice is that it weaves together the two sides of giving. Much is made of the requirement to practice dana, but I hear less about learning also to receive. For me, this is the harder part. I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with this. I’ll gladly be there for you in troubled times, give money, stuff, effort, and time, I’ll give you a kidney if you need one, but I struggle to ask for or accept help, even in little ways. I find it much easier to love than to be loved. It’s much easier for me to look at others with accepting eyes of compassion than to be looked at and seen in such a deep way. Society tends to portray this as a positive attribute... ‘tis better to give than to receive, they say. Hmm. Maybe not. Lately, I’m thinking that giving in this way, without being open to receiving, is almost an inverted selfishness, incomplete, and unbalanced.

In this story, if you think about it, it is the same money that is being given, received, given back to the same people, received again, given back again, received again, and around and around, each time with good faith and meaningful, helpful results. In each case, someone must be open and willing to receive, or the cycle ends. The flowing is circular, not one-way. As Jundo might say, it is two sides of a no-sided coin.

Earlier this week, Kyonin wrote about smiling and laughing, and how part of that is smiling to yourself, laughing with yourself, accepting a smile returned. It makes me think about the bodhisattva ideal. In living for the enlightenment of all beings, and the cessation of suffering for all, part of the deal is being willing to hold all the suffering of the world. But part of it, too, is being willing to accept all the good stuff for yourself as well. I was reading an old thread where someone was saying that they did not at all feel ‘at one’ with others. When we do open our hearts to embrace and accept others, if we do not include ourselves in that embrace... haven’t we only created division again, setting ‘them’ apart from our self? And, the other side of it: when we truly accept ourselves and realize our essential nature (the truth of no-separation), then acceptance of others -- feeling ‘at one’ with all -- naturally blossoms with no further effort.

What the heck am I talking about? I don’t know. I can't quite say it right. It’s only a feeling that maybe I need to expand my idea of dana, of service, of what it means to be a bodhisattva. Make it less about ‘me’ giving, ‘me’ helping, ‘me’ walking the 8fold path and trying to do the right thing. Somehow the giving and the receiving are not two, and not one. Losing the self is finding the self. Receiving the self is offering the self.

How do I freely offer you wisdom, love, compassion, help, generosity, unless I open myself to also receive it?

Rambling thoughts.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thank you Greg

..sat2day•合掌

Mp
    Wonderful, thank you Greg. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
    A beautiful story, thank you for sharing it, Greg.

One thing I notice is that it weaves together the two sides of giving. Much is made of the requirement to practice dana, but I hear less about learning also to receive. For me, this is the harder part. I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with this. I’ll gladly be there for you in troubled times, give money, stuff, effort, and time, I’ll give you a kidney if you need one, but I struggle to ask for or accept help, even in little ways. I find it much easier to love than to be loved. It’s much easier for me to look at others with accepting eyes of compassion than to be looked at and seen in such a deep way. Society tends to portray this as a positive attribute... ‘tis better to give than to receive, they say. Hmm. Maybe not. Lately, I’m thinking that giving in this way, without being open to receiving, is almost an inverted selfishness, incomplete, and unbalanced.

In this story, if you think about it, it is the same money that is being given, received, given back to the same people, received again, given back again, received again, and around and around, each time with good faith and meaningful, helpful results. In each case, someone must be open and willing to receive, or the cycle ends. The flowing is circular, not one-way. As Jundo might say, it is two sides of a no-sided coin.

Earlier this week, Kyonin wrote about smiling and laughing, and how part of that is smiling to yourself, laughing with yourself, accepting a smile returned. It makes me think about the bodhisattva ideal. In living for the enlightenment of all beings, and the cessation of suffering for all, part of the deal is being willing to hold all the suffering of the world. But part of it, too, is being willing to accept all the good stuff for yourself as well. I was reading an old thread where someone was saying that they did not at all feel ‘at one’ with others. When we do open our hearts to embrace and accept others, if we do not include ourselves in that embrace... haven’t we only created division again, setting ‘them’ apart from our self? And, the other side of it: when we truly accept ourselves and realize our essential nature (the truth of no-separation), then acceptance of others -- feeling ‘at one’ with all -- naturally blossoms with no further effort.

What the heck am I talking about? I don’t know. I can't quite say it right. It’s only a feeling that maybe I need to expand my idea of dana, of service, of what it means to be a bodhisattva. Make it less about ‘me’ giving, ‘me’ helping, ‘me’ walking the 8fold path and trying to do the right thing. Somehow the giving and the receiving are not two, and not one. Losing the self is finding the self. Receiving the self is offering the self.

How do I freely offer you wisdom, love, compassion, help, generosity, unless I open myself to also receive it?

Rambling thoughts.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    raindrop!,

This 'receiving compassion' issue is something I hear about being a issue from the warm hearted people. Even if you haven't taken precepts, there is logic in doing them in principal anyway. 'I vow to save all sentient beings from suffering and the causes of suffering'. You're a sentient being deserving of your own immediate compassion. If you really want to help and never keep the shirt on your back in the process of helping...You may get sick and die prematurely and be unable to help or unable to help regardless because you never save enough for yourself.

There is precedent for this that I found in Buddhist texts, neither self mortification nor indulgence, If Buddha never took the bowl of rice from the girl that saw him starving in his ascetic practice, he would not live to teach if he did not recognize the uncompassionate extreme of depriving oneself of help.

We're all here at the very least benefiting from the guidance of legitimate Soto Teachers...They clearly have quite active lives and choose to teach when I'm sure they could just simply practice buddhism and not teach it. I somehow doubt the teachers here or elsewhere are thinking 'you so owe me' when they make these teachings available. They even go out of their way to make it clear that you should only donate to treeleaf if you are really able to, there is a teaching on dana by reading the donate section, not a lecture but a living example of how dana meets life.

There is a lot of that in the world, if I'm not mindful of people simply trying to exploit my kindness I have people that never consider giving without personal interest is possible and try to figure out how much they 'owe' me for help I never suggested a price on. Making money is a reality but if I don't imply a tradeoff I'm simply doing something to do it. I think this is where the sensitivity to receiving help comes in..someone might be just paying you in advance expecting payment or they may be wondering if you are taking advantage of them since this does happen.

Not everyone that offers help thinks like this, selfless giving does happen even if someone never studied Buddhism. If you see someone walking down the street to stop and push a stalled car to the curb or out of snow, notice how they do it in the blink of an eye and are clearly often off before even getting their thank you. They weren't looking for payment, they saw a problem, helped, and left.

Let yourself help yourself so you can more adequately help others!

I have..another koan that I found valueable to me on this helping vs helped thing, giving vs saving..Buddhist parables are always interesting to me.

Mokusen's Hand

Mokusen Hiki was living in a temple in the province of Tamba. One of his adherents complained of the stinginess of his wife.

Mokusen visited the adherent's wife and showed her his clenched fist before her face.

"What do you mean by that?" asked the surprised woman.

"Suppose my fist were always like that. What would you call it?" he asked.

"Deformed," replied the woman.

Then he opened his hand flat in her face and asked: "Suppose it were always like that. What then?"

"Another kind of deformity," said the wife.

"If you understand that much," finished Mokusen, "you are a good wife." Then he left.

After his visit, this wife helped her husband to distribute as well as to save.

I hope I 'helped'!

Metta,
    Greg

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-05-2015 at 04:15 AM.
    “A fine line separates the weary recluse from the fearful hermit. Finer still is the line between hermit and bitter misanthrope.” - Dean Koontz

Quote Originally Posted by GregJanL View Post

Mokusen's Hand

Mokusen Hiki was living in a temple in the province of Tamba. One of his adherents complained of the stinginess of his wife.

Mokusen visited the adherent's wife and showed her his clenched fist before her face.

"What do you mean by that?" asked the surprised woman.

"Suppose my fist were always like that. What would you call it?" he asked.

"Deformed," replied the woman.

Then he opened his hand flat in her face and asked: "Suppose it were always like that. What then?"

"Another kind of deformity," said the wife.

"If you understand that much," finished Mokusen, "you are a good wife." Then he left.

After his visit, this wife helped her husband to distribute as well as to save.
    Nice Koan Greg.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Joyo
    Thank you, Greg, for the post and the reminder.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by GregJanL View Post
    They even go out of their way to make it clear that you should only donate to treeleaf if you are really able to, there is a teaching on dana by reading the donate section, not a lecture but a living example of how dana meets life.
    Here is our Donations policy at Treeleaf, by the way ...

There are no charges at all for the activities and teachings provided at Treeleaf Sangha, which are each offered free to all who may benefit. No donations are solicited or required. However, if someone wishes to make a voluntary donation to our community, they may do so at the following link with our gratitude. If you wish to make a donation, we ask you to consider a suggested MONTHLY DONATION OF US$5 or $10 ($60 or $120 PER YEAR), with the understanding that people who have little or no money should know especially that it is fine to donate less than such amounts or nothing at all. If one has more money, and feels it is right, one can donate more than such amounts. All donations are completely voluntary, without obligation, according to ability, and as one feels in one’s heart. Newcomers should wait some months until making sure they feel at home in our community before even considering to donate. We leave it to each person to decide.

More here ...

Donate
    http://www.treeleaf.org/donations-to-treeleaf-sangha/,
    Gassho, J
    SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Greg,

you are right on point, what you say makes a lot of sense. Practice is making me more aware of these things: the inconsistencies, the imbalances, the ways that separation is caused, even with the best of intentions. It is so easy to lose the middle way and go running off into the bushes! Then again, it's really so simple to come back to center again. Sangha helps with keeping perspective. How did I live without you guys for so long?

I love the koans and teaching stories.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
    Hi Greg,

you are right on point, what you say makes a lot of sense. Practice is making me more aware of these things: the inconsistencies, the imbalances, the ways that separation is caused, even with the best of intentions. It is so easy to lose the middle way and go running off into the bushes! Then again, it's really so simple to come back to center again. Sangha helps with keeping perspective. How did I live without you guys for so long?

I love the koans and teaching stories.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    Raindrop,

Even if you have all your i's dotted and t's crossed in whatever endeavour, helping in this case, whatever cause or issue you are trying to help ease, you may still fail to get the result you wanted, sit if in turmoil, get back up if possible, and keep going.

This is why the paramita of dhyana comes to play...'Zen'..Win or lose, let it be..afflicted? Sit.

Oh yeah, this is Treeleaf, Jundo made a thread on 'failing in zen' that is right here and I don't need to dig up information on this from outside sources. I don't want to end up 'in the bushes' either...and if I do I hope to remember to sit..

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...)-FAIL-NO-FAIL

Metta,
    Greg

Sent from my ALCATEL ONETOUCH P310A using Tapatalk