Thread: Celebrating Marriage for All

Celebrating Marriage for All

Dear All,

On this day when the American Supreme Court has finally recognized same sex marriage in the United States, and in this age when many countries around the world already do or are considering so, I wish to celebrate that fact.

The words of the Supreme Court opinion were inspirational ...

"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote for the majority. ... "In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. ... marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death, ... It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization's oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right."
    Lovely.

Here is to marriage for all who love each other, and to the children they may raise in loving homes.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-27-2015 at 02:59 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Kyotai
    Well said,

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

Mp
    Wonderful ... love and equality are boundless! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Marriage Equality, two beautiful words im waiting to hear in my own country soon!!!

What wonderful news, another step forward IMO.

Gassho,
    Geoff.

Sat (and celebrating) Today.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

I was so surprised. It is wonderful to have something to celebrate in this country after all the recent tragedies that have threaten to tear us apart.

..sat2day•合掌

Joyo
    Wonderful, congratulations U.S.A.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I totally agree. Yesterday was a very happy day.

Gassho, Jennifer
    Sat today

A good day for All.

Moving beyond rigid ideas of masculine and feminine is an important step forward.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

YES! Unbelievable victory for LOVE. Never thought this would happen in my lifetime. I celebrate with all my gay and lesbian friends. Anyone really, who experiences the vital power of loving.

Anne
    ~st~

Love ❤ is a beautiful thing and we are fortunate to guided by the constitution.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

SAT today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Hello,

" They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right." SCOTUS

No one doesn't believe in love. Saying that, the U.S. Constitution does not grant dignity.

Dignity is implicit in the birth of every human.

Government can neither bestow it, nor remove it.

Distinctions are good fun, but, what divides us defines us.

At the risk of repetition: dignity is a birthright.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    Last edited by Myosha; 06-30-2015 at 06:37 AM.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Happy day!

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hi,

Someone wrote to ask me if "the Precepts mean that one has to support same sex marriage."

I would say that, as in many matters of ethics, views among Buddhists vary as much as they do among Christians and Jews on these matters. In other words, some Buddhists have very traditional, conservative views on marriage.

It is the tendency of so-called "convert Buddhists" (those folks, mostly not from a culturally Asian family by birth, who came from other religious family backgrounds originally) to be rather socially and politically liberal in views, so it is easy to forget that not all Buddhists are so. There are conservative "convert Buddhists", and also many Asian cultures are rather conservative in social and political values.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/america...1-sort-of.html

Views in some Asian countries can be mixed, or very conservative on issues of marriage ...

http://www.fridae.asia/gay-news/2013...arriage-debate

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-29-2015 at 01:30 AM.

My mom is in a same sex marriage and she is very happy. I have no problem with it and love her the same whether she is married to a man or woman. Whatever feels right in someone's heart is what is right for them.

Celebrating Marriage for All

My dad and his partner were together for about 30 years before my biological father expired. I still have one dad left. It is a good day for the fight of equality for all.

Gassho, Jishin

#SatToday
    Last edited by Jishin; 06-28-2015 at 11:13 PM.

It's a great day for equality and human spirit because I think some other countries will follow the example.

Lets hope this permeates to all nations and peoples in the planet.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

A beautiful day indeed. May all beings be able to share their love freely with whom their heart desires.

Kelly/Jinmei

The United States has many problems, but we do seem to have the capacity for giant leaps where such leaps were previously seen as impossible. I am proud of us for striving to offer equal protection to all. We have a long way to go and perhaps always will, but on this day I am proud.

Gassho,
    Dosho

At the risk of repetition: dignity is a birthright.
    The only way I can see it. Thank you.

Gassho, Ernst
    Sat today

Jundo, you've mentioned in the past that you know conservative Zen teachers in the West. I'd be curious to know if any of them oppose this legislation, and how they square that with their practice. Actually, I'd be curious to hear that in regard to many issues that conservatives oppose (social safety nets, universal healthcare, etc). Many of those stances seem--to me--incompatible with how we practice Zen in the West, or at least Soto, or at least here at Treeleaf.

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Hi Kaishin,

A survey I saw a few years ago said that only about 3% of convert Buddhists in America identify as, for example, supporting the Republican party in elections. I know a couple of priests who are so. However, I have no idea how they feel about particular social issues such as same-sex marriage.

https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=...licans&f=false

I know some Zen Teachers who are also Catholic Priests (mostly Jesuit and Rinzai Zen practioners), but I do not know how they feel on certain issues.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I know some Zen Teachers who are also Catholic Priests (mostly Jesuit and Rinzai Zen practioners), but I do not know how they feel on certain issues.

Gassho, J
    Were they not officially ordained? I thought Catholic priests were excommunicated if ordained with any other religious organization. Sorry if it's a bit of a dumb question.

Gassho,
    Will

satToday

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingDollar View Post
    Were they not officially ordained? I thought Catholic priests were excommunicated if ordained with any other religious organization. Sorry if it's a bit of a dumb question.

Gassho,
    Will

satToday
    All the Jesuits I know were Teachers of Rinzai Zen in Japan and Europe, or Fr. Kennedy in the mixed Rinzai-Soto Sambokyodan. He is Transmitted as a Zen Teacher while still a Jesuit, although it is possible that it is through a non-Ordained "Lay" lineage in the Sambokyodan/White Plum (or some other creative arrangement) ...

"Robert Kennedy, S.J., Roshi, is a Jesuit priest and Zen teacher in the White Plum lineage. He studied with Yamada Roshi in Kamakura, Japan, with Maezumi Roshi in Los Angeles, and with Glassman Roshi in New York. Glassman Roshi installed Kennedy as sensei in 1991 and conferred Inka (his final seal of approval) in 1997, making him a roshi (master). Kennedy Roshi is the author of Zen Gifts to Christians and Zen Spirit, Christian Spirit.... To date, Kennedy Roshi has installed six dharma successors...and Kevin Hunt Sensei, a Trappist monk from St. Joseph's Abbey at Spencer, Mass.

For the occasion of Fr. Hunt's installation, the Superior General of the Society of Jesus, Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, S.J., wrote:

"Because of the long preparation and training required to become a master of the demanding Zen training, Fr. Hunt's achievement is one that we can all celebrate in thanksgiving to God ... Jesuits and other Christians have found Zen to be a valuable instrument for progressing in the spiritual life. ... By coming to focus on the present moment through the practice of the techniques of Zen meditation, the Christian can become aware of God's immediate loving presence."
    http://kennedyzen.tripod.com/index.htm

I do not know the details of his relationship with either Sambokyodan, Glassman Roshi or the Catholic Church.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-02-2015 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post
    Jundo, you've mentioned in the past that you know conservative Zen teachers in the West. I'd be curious to know if any of them oppose this legislation, and how they square that with their practice. Actually, I'd be curious to hear that in regard to many issues that conservatives oppose (social safety nets, universal healthcare, etc). Many of those stances seem--to me--incompatible with how we practice Zen in the West, or at least Soto, or at least here at Treeleaf.

-satToday
    Hello,

Discussing politics and religion . . . what could go wrong?

Specifically regarding the SCOTUS decision - legislating is simply not the job of the Judicial Branch of the United States government. The unelected lawyers sitting on the bench removed the people's ( that is the Legislature's ) responsibility for creating laws.

Sticking with the healing art.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    Last edited by Myosha; 07-02-2015 at 07:24 PM.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

All the Jesuits I know were Teachers of Rinzai Zen in Japan and Europe, or Fr. Kennedy in the mixed Rinzai-Soto Sambokyodan. He is Transmitted as a Zen Teacher while still a Jesuit, although it is possible that it is through a non-Ordained "Lay" lineage in the Sambokyodan/White Plum (or some other creative arrangement) ...

http://kennedyzen.tripod.com/index.htm

I do not know the details of his relationship with either Sambokyodan, Glassman Roshi or the Catholic Church.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Thank you very much!

Gassho,
    Will

satToday

Hi Kaishin,

A survey I saw a few years ago said that only about 3% of convert Buddhists in America identify as, for example, supporting the Republican party in elections. I know a couple of priests who are so. However, I have no idea how they feel about particular social issues such as same-sex marriage.

https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=...licans&f=false

Gassho, J
    Thank you, Jundo. Very interesting!

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.