Thread: (RESCHEDULED!!): Special Zazenkai SATURDAY with Rev. Mary Mocine of Clear Water Zendo

(RESCHEDULED!!): Special Zazenkai SATURDAY with Rev. Mary Mocine of Clear Water Zendo

ATTENTION: THIS EVENT WILL BE RESCHEDULED DUE TO A HEALTH EMERGENCY IN MARY'S FAMILY!!

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Rev. Mary Mocine, guiding the Clear Water Zendo/Vallejo Zen Center in California, will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk NEXT SATURDAY JUNE 27th, LIVE from Vallejo and Treeleaf Tsukuba. This will be a special united event, as we will actually be participating in the Saturday Morning weekly Zazenkai at Clear Water with their members.

For those who don't know about Mary ...

Mary Mocine (born February 21, 1944) is a Soto Zen priest in the lineage of Shunryu Suzuki-roshi currently leading the Clear Water Zendo at the Vallejo Zen Center in Vallejo, California. A Dharma heir of Sojun Mel Weitsman of the Berkeley Zen Center, Mary began her Zen practice in 1988 at Berkeley Zen Center and Green Gulch Farm after 18 years of practicing law. She took three months off from her law practice in 1989 to devote herself more fully to Zen practice and never did return to her job as an attorney. In 1990 she entered Tassajara Zen Mountain Center and spent the next four years in monastic training, ordaining as a Soto priest in 1994 under Sojun-roshi. In addition to her studies with Sojun-roshi, Mary has also studied with Zoketsu Norman Fischer, Yvonne Rand, Zenkei Blanche Hartman and Tenshin Reb Anderson. During the winter practice session of 1998 at Tassajara, Mary served as shuso (head monk or head student). This is a position where an individual assumes more responsibility as a priest, giving lectures and participating in Dharma discussion with students. After serving as shuso Mary was invited to give Dharma talks and teach classes, also continuing to provide individual practice discussion with students.

Mary has also served at all three SFZC locations in a variety of senior staff positions, including tenzo (head cook), shika (guest manager), ino (head of the Meditation Hall), and director. In 1999 she undertook formal training in hospice care at the Zen Hospice Project in San Francisco, a project that was initiated by the SFZC. She also provides meditation instruction for those incarcerated at Solano State Prison in Vacaville, California. In 1998 she formed a meditation group in Vallejo, California which grew in size by 1999 and in 2000 Clear Water Zendo at Vallejo Zen Center opened. In 2005 Mary received Dharma transmission from her “root” teacher, Sojun Mel Weitsman. Among her many endeavors as a Soto priest, Mary sometimes offers retreats specially designed for lawyers.

Interview at SweepingZen:
    http://sweepingzen.com/mary-mocine-interview-2/

The festivities will begin at 9:30 AM CALIFORNIA TIME SATURDAY (that is 12:30pm in New York, London 5:30pm and Paris 6:30pm, all SATURDAY JUNE, 27th).

Our sitting schedule will look like the following although please be prepared for some flexibility and the possibility to run a little long: perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a little Kinhin, a Talk by Mary for 30 minutes or so, and some Questions from our Treeleaf and Clear Water participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours.

I would like to fill our hangout and show Mary a big turnout. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo). It will be worth your time.

I will post immeditately below more information on our Hangouts and a list of folks committing to attend.

Let's all get together to welcome Mary! I believe this is her first experience with this kind of netcast Zazenkai, or with a "not bound by walls" Sangha like ours, so I would like to make a nice impression.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - It would be polite for those participating to offer a little donation to Clear Water Zendo for their support and in gratitude to the Teacher. Below a link for donations, and I am going to ask all our Treeleaf members who benefit from Mary's visit (not only the folks joining live, but those who will sit later or just listen to his words), to offer a donation for their upkeep there.

As well, here is the link to Vallejo Zen Center, where there is also a link and more information: http://www.vallejozencenter.org/
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-26-2015 at 03:21 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Google+ Hangout Information:

Dear All,

I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo).

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout which will be on the Treeleaf Google Plus (LINK). If there is additional demand, a few people will be on STANDBY for that group.

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT(s), AND TRY TO SEND OUT INVITATIONS ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS (as soon as I make sure Mary has gotten there.

The people for this group are (as of now): THERE IS STILL ROOM AS SOME OF THE PEOPLE BELOW MAY NOT ATTEND!

1- Danny B
    2- Sekishi
    3- Dosho
    4- Shingen
    5- Sergey Tsarenko
    6- Daizan
    7- Ernst (Ernstguitar)
    8-Jundo
    9-Mary Mocine

Amelia (Standby)
    Kyotai (Standby)
    Kyonin (Standby)

If there is sufficient demand, we will also have an experimental second Hangout on our "Jukai 1" page (LINK) with an additional 9 seats. What I will do is run that on a second computer, with a separate internet connection and try to position the camera so that it shows the other computer showing Mary (don't try to figure that out, you'll see what I mean). It sometimes works very well (sometimes not), and I apologize if not.

Folks not in the 2-way hangouts can also participate "ONE WAY" by watching the live netcast on the screen to be posted in this Forum and at our Google+ page.

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to Mary from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com) any question to Mary, and I will try to read her as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-26-2015 at 02:36 AM.

Mp
    Hello Jundo, if there is space, I will be there for sure. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Dear Jundo,

Unfortunately I will be attending a wedding out of town this weekend (the timing would be a little difficult even if I were home; 01:30-03:30 AM here), but will be sure to note the donations link for when I do get to sit with the recording. Thank you again for these great opportunities to learn from so many wonderful sources.

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Hello,

Participating "One Way".

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Joyo
    Thank you, Jundo. Unfortunately, that is the day I take my kids to the parade and the fair for rides, it's a day of festivities for us. I will definitely be sitting with the recording after the event though.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I would like a spot, but I MIGHT have to help my mom move, so just put me on standby. If there is room that morning, I will join live if I am not helping her.

Gassho, sat today.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hi Jundo,

Thank you for this opportunity. Please add me to the waiting list. My current laptop can't handle crowded zazenkais very well, so I'd come on live if there's a seat left.

If not, that's okay and I'll attend one way like I did at Ben Connelly's zazenkai, and I'll send questions (if any) via email.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Kyotai
    I had issues last time when attempting to ask a question. So one way viewing is best for me. But I will be participating and offering a donation.

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today
    Last edited by Kyotai; 06-22-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Yugen
    Jundo,
    I am working at the time of the zazenkai unfortunately and cannot make it live.

I really regret this.

Deep bows
    Yugen

sat2day

Jundo,

Please add me to the list if there is room.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Just sat

I would like to participate if there is room. Thank you.

Gassho

Daizan

sat today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I would like to attend if seating is available.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi, everyone. I'm back from angyo. I'll be participating "one way", but both ways of the heart.
    _/\_ Shinzan
    sattoday and everyday while traveling.

I will participate one way. Thank you for the opportunity.

Randy

If you have a free seat.......I will do it one-way, but can do it two-way.

Ernst

Be there one way.
    Love these Shunryo kids.
    Tim Burkett, abott of the Minnesota Meditation Center where Ben Connelly practices, and another of Roshi's dharma children, has NOTHING HOLY ABOUT IT out, and it is pure just sit, self tap constantly, and all that deceptively simple paractice that fits modernity so well.
    Slow reading!
    Good.

ST
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

It'll be Sunday 2.30am fo rme and I will try my best to attend this special event!

Gassho,Geoff

SatToday.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Hello Getchi,

If you mean "two way", I will add you to the waiting list. Are you all registered with Google*? If you meant "one way", that is not needed,

Gassho, J

Hi Jundo,

It will be "One Way" (not two)

My current computer just wont be able to handle it. Very much looking forwarrd to it!

Gassho,
    Geoff

SatToday.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Sat today, gassho

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Just an update:

Here are assigned sitting places as of today (Friday) ...

I will have more information posted on procedures and links on Saturday.

1- Danny B
    2- Sekishi
    3- Dosho
    4- Shingen
    5- Sergey Tsarenko
    6- Daizan
    7- Ernst (Ernstguitar)
    8- Jundo
    9- Mary Mocine

Amelia (Standby)
    Kyotai (Standby)
    Kyonin (Standby)
    We also will have our regular Friday-Saturday Zazenkai this week, and I hope folks can attend as well.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...eekly-Zazenkai

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-26-2015 at 03:31 AM.

ATTENTION: THIS EVENT WILL BE RESCHEDULED DUE TO A HEALTH EMERGENCY IN MARY'S FAMILY!!

Dear All,

Mary is tending to a family member who was suddenly taken to hospital. She offers her apologies to all, and we will reschedule for a date to be determined in the coming weeks.

I know that all will wish to sit and offer Metta for Mary's relative and family.

Gassho, Jundo

Mp
    Thank you for the update Jundo and yes, I will be sitting, and sending much love and metta to Mary and her relative.

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Yes, much metta to Mary and her family!

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Metta to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Sitting for and sending metta to Mary and her family.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Much metta for Mary's family.

Hope everything turns out fine.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Metta

..sat2day•合掌

Yugen
    Much metta to Mary and her family.

Deep bows
    Yugen

sat2day

Joyo
    Sitting in metta for Mary and her family.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Dear All,

Mary has written to let me know that we will try again about the middle of August. Hopefully, her relative's situation will quiet down by then.

Also, Taigen Dan Leighton is coming late July (details soon).

Gassho, J

SatToday

Joyo
    Wonderful, Jundo, thank you. I hope to attend both events.

Continuing to offer metta to Mary and her family.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Mp
    Thank you Jundo for the update ... I will still be there live! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thank you Jundo!

Yes! I will be happy to attend both events

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Kyotai
    Hopeful I can participate,

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

Gassho,

Ongen / Vincent
    Sat Today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

I will participate later with the recorded version as usual

Gassho Ongen

Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Taigen! Of JUST THIS IS IT fame and many other very Soto Zen Buddhism pertinent works? Now that's catch.
    I met him here at FIU (Florida International University) on
    a Dogen Zenji conference where Okumura roshi spoke also, and he and Taigen sensei were right on the Dharma line. A treat.
    Thank you Jundo.

sat2day
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa