Thread: Gesshin Greenwood's Oryoki Post: Zen and Japan, Japan and Zen

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar

Gesshin Greenwood's Oryoki Post: Zen and Japan, Japan and Zen

I know we don't do a whole lot with Oryoki at Treeleaf outside of the Rohatsu retreat, but it is something I find very powerful in its simplicity, and try to do once a month or so.

http://thatssozen.blogspot.com/2015/...e-culture.html

This post on Gesshin Greenwood's blog really resonated with me. She spends a little time looking at how Zen and Japanese culture have perhaps co-created each other, and how we can adapt the Oryoki ritual to our own cultures. It brings to mind Jundo's oryoki set made with "everyday" bowls from the kitchen, and Dosho having cereal in his Oryoki.

"The intersection and overlap between Zen and Japanese culture is fascinating to me though, because I think that while they're obviously not the same thing, Zen and Japanese culture have influenced each other in undeniable ways. It's interesting to try to tease out what is "Zen," what is "Japanese culture," and what is a chicken and the egg type situation."

"I don't think the overlap between Zen and Japanese culture is a bad thing. We'll eat oatmeal and drink apple juice out of five Japanese bowls until we figure out a better way to express gratitude and not wasting in a ceremonial way. But when we get rid of Japanese bowls and go straight to gratitude and not-wasting without the chanting and ceremonial forms, I'm pretty sure that's not Zen; that's just being grateful, and not wasting."

I do enjoy learning about Japanese culture and cuisine. I know I've encountered little aversion and even embarrassment during our retreats when my Oryoki bowls were filled with chunks of sour-dough bread and cream of tomato soup. Gesshin's post was a nice reminder that "oryoki" really means "just enough", and that we don't need umeboshi and furikake. And yet there is still a core "something" to Oryoki for us to discover as we adapt it to our local traditions and tastes.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi Sekishi,

I often say that one does not need Japanese culture in order to Practice Zen, and we should not confuse Chinese and Japanese culture with Zen Buddhist Practice (one does not need tatami mats and chop sticks to practice Zen, for example). But Oryoki ... the Ritual of Eating ... is a lovely, powerful practice worth keeping. Dozens and dozens of set moves and gestures, a true ballet for each meal. One loses oneself and finds one-self in the dance.

We had a group to Practice Oryoki (the complex, formal way as opposed to our simplified version for Retreat). It was led by Myozan, now teaching in Ireland. After that, the group lagged. Here is our Oryoki Practice Circle.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...ractice-Circle

Sekishi ... would you care to revive it? Please consider it.

By the way, for those who do not know Oryoki, a video from ZMC demonstrating their formal Oryoki ... very Japanese in form, although with small differences for Western sensibilities.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-26-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Sekishi ... would you care to revive it? Please consider it.
    If there is interest, I would be happy to stumble through with others.

I will consider how to proceed over the next few days and respond further here.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    #allthumbs

Mp
    Hello Sekishi,

I too read that post and I for one would be happy to stumble along with you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Yugen
    Count me in Sekishi - let me know what I can do to support you.

Deep bows
    Yugen

sat2day

I am also a stumbler... ;-)

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Hi guys!

Yes yes, I'd like to be part of the group.

I also read Gesshin's post and felt thankful for the times I have practiced Oryoki. Funny, but I today has been a day for me to talk about food and why it's sacred. This wonderful practice helps us feel thankful for what nourishes our practice and connects us with the universe. Or that's how I feel it.

Thank you for this!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I'll eat with ya Sekishi

Gassho,

Jiken

Like I've already said after Rohatsu: Sekishi, pleeeeease!
    (Don't know what kind of meal time that will be for me, but if possible, I'm in.)

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

You all rock. XD

Gassho,
    Sekishi

I too would like to be part of this with you all! Please count me in.

Gassho
    James
    Sattoday

Mp
    Well Sekishi, looks like we will have to pull out the big table. 🙌

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Well Sekishi, looks like we will have to pull out the big table.
    Indeed. It is wonderful to see all the interest and enthusiasm!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Sekishi,

I often say that one does not need Japanese culture in order to Practice Zen, and we should not confuse Chinese and Japanese culture with Zen Buddhist Practice (one does not need tatami mats and chop sticks to practice Zen, for example). But Oryoki ... the Ritual of Eating ... is a lovely, powerful practice worth keeping. Dozens and dozens of set moves and gestures, a true ballet for each meal. One loses oneself and finds one-self in the dance.
    Let me clarify (because I had a couple of inquiries), that I do not believe that "Oryoki" is a practice that folks need undertake as central to Zen Practice (other than our Priests, who have a responsibility to be familiar with various Traditions). Sitting Zazen and living is our Place of Practice, and around here ... washing the dishes, working on the assembly line or changing diapers are sacred "Oryoki", and a special ritual, when perceived as such.

However, it is a lovely, traditional, powerful "sideless" side-practice for those who wish to dive in. If you wish to dive in, the dance floor is open! (mixing metaphors)

And if you are going to dive in, please dive all the way. Few short cuts! It is actually not so complicated to Master the many steps, but like learning any dance ... Salsa to Swan Lake ... please learn all the steps well. (Once it is in the body memory, and can be performed without much if any thought, it should become as natural as driving a car or walking and breathing).

Gassho, J

PS - Perhaps, for very very newcomers, a good place to repost the "Turning Japanese" essay ... Most of you have seen it many times before ...

======================================

This practice is not limited to any place or time ... we drop all thought of place and time. It certainly is not Indian, Chinese, Japanese, French or American. But, of course, we live in place and time, so as Buddhism traveled over the centuries from India to China, Japan, Korea and other places, it naturally became very Indian/Chinese/Japanese/Korean etc.

But what of the cultural trappings?

Must we bow, ring bells, chant (in Japanese, no less), wear traditional robes, have Buddha Statues, burn incense? ... All that stuff besides Zazen. Are they necessary to our Practice?

No, not at all!

We don't need anything other than Zazen, any of those trappings. In fact, they are no big deal, of no importance, when we drop all viewpoints in sitting Zazen.

On the other hand, we have to do something, to greet each other somehow, read some words, dress some way. Why not do such things? As I often say, for example, we have to do something with our hands when practicing walking Zazen ... why not hold them in Shashu (I mean, better than sticking 'em in your pockets)? What is more, wearing certain special clothes and holding one's hands with a certain formality, placing a statue and burning incense can all work as points of focus to remind us of the specialness of this moment and Practice (no problem so long as we also learn the lesson that all the so-called "mundane" instants of life, great and small, are special moments, each a "sacred ceremony" in its way, from taking a bath to making a peanut butter sandwich for the kids).

As well, there are parts of our practice which we do BECAUSE we resist (for example, when visiting a temple for Retreat, I usually put my heart fully into ceremonies and arcane rituals BECAUSE I resist and think some of it silly or old fashioned). Ask yourself where that kind of resistance is to be found (here's a clue, and it is right behind your own eyes).

What is more, there is method to the madness, and many (not all) customs have centuries of time tested benefits ... embody subtle perspectives ... that support and nurture Zazen Practice at the core. Many parts of our Practice, though "exotic", are worth keeping, even if they strike someone as strange at first. Bowing, statues, rigid decorum in the Zen Hall and, yes, weird talks about Koans and arcane ceremonies all fit in that category. They may seem like unnecessary "Japanese" or "Esoteric" elements at first, until you understand the role they serve. I have given talks on all these things recently, for example ... the humility and wholeness of Bowing.

Many aspects of tradition can be seen in new ways when the barriers of the mind are knocked down. Thus, for example, the Kesa, the Buddha's Robes ... though just cloth ... can be seen to cover and enfold the whole universe, laughter, cries of pain, old age, becoming and fading away ... life ...

On the other hand again, it is okay to abandon or reject many practices. However, KNOW very well what you are rejecting before you reject it.

Absorb what is useful and discard the rest. For example, I think Oryoki [formal meal ritual] is a great practice, and worth keeping.. Same for bowing.

When tasted as such ... every action and gesture in this life is Sacred and Magical when experienced as such, from changing a baby diaper to cooking dinner to chanting the Heart Sutra. So, why not Chant as well as the rest?

Some things I keep out of respect for TRADITION [the robes, the ways of doing some ceremonies]. It is important to keep ties to where we come from. Some things also have a special symbolic meaning if you look into them, so worth keeping [for example, a Rakusu]

But other stuff, no need to keep: For example, I usually avoid to chant in Japanese or Chinese [except once in awhile, out of respect for tradition]. Tatami mats and Paper screens have nothing to do with Zen practice particularly [but I happen to live in an old Japanese building, so ... well, tatami and paper screens!} Some things I think are just dumb (except symbolically), like the Kyosaku stick. Incense is great, until it was recently shown to cause cancer. Many beliefs of Buddhism are rather superstitious things that were picked up here and there. I abandon many of those.

The outer wrap of Zen Buddhism is changing greatly as it moves West. The greater emphasis on lay practice over monastics, the greater democracy in what was a feudal institution (arising in societies where the teacher's word was law ... oh, those were the days! ), giving the boot to a lot of magico-supersticio hocus-pocus bunkum, the equal place of women ... heck, the use of the internet to bring teachings that were once the preserve of an elite few into everyone's living room.Those are good and great changes to the outer wrapping (you can read about them in books like this one (author interview here: http://atheism.about.com/library/boo...olemanChat.htm). The coreless core, however, remains unchanged.

Do not throw out the Baby Buddha with the bath water. Many completely "Japanese" practices which seem silly at first are worth keeping. ...

... other things, like some of the arcane incense, bell & drum filled rituals, take 'em or leave 'em.

Gassho, J

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-28-2015 at 01:44 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Sekishi,
    I would love to join in if you decide to continue.

Gassho,

Ongen / Vincent
    Sat Today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

As would I!

Gassho,

(Sorry for my absence, work is killing me .)

#SatToday
    Forever is so very temporary...

Hi everyone,

I've discussed this further with Jundo and others, and we are definitely on for the Oryoki circle. Based on feedback, we are going to aim for a little later this year. I will post more information here as we nail down some of the details.

Thank you all for your interest and practice.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've discussed this further with Jundo and others, and we are definitely on for the Oryoki circle. Based on feedback, we are going to aim for a little later this year. I will post more information here as we nail down some of the details.

Thank you all for your interest and practice.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Awesome, thanks Sekishi. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Wonderful!
    Gassho,

Ongen / Vincent
    Sat Today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source