Thread: May 22nd-23rd Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

May 22nd-23rd Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS ARE POSTED AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 FOUR VOWS & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-23-2015 at 01:53 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I'll be here/there.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

See you all there!

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

I feel like dancing. How bout you'all?

Mp
    Groovy, I will be there. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Not a big fan of the dance music, to be honest... It was a leap for me just to get to the chanting... Is this a test...? ;-)

Gassho,
    B

-sat today-

Hello!

I'll be there live with my bell and disco ball ready for dancing!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Joyo
    I need to spend some time with my kids tonight so unfortunately I will not be there live. i'll try to sit with the recording this weekend. Have a groovy zazenkai ya'll

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

The toes are tappin and the hips are swivelin.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anshu Bryson View Post
    Not a big fan of the dance music, to be honest... It was a leap for me just to get to the chanting... Is this a test...? ;-)

And if it is a test, what constitutes a failure of said test, to dance or not to dance?

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/sbe20/sbe20017.htm
    6 2. Now at that time there was a festival on the mountain-top at Râgagaha; and the Khabbaggiya Bhikkhus went to see it.
    The people murmured, were annoyed, and became indignant, saying, 'How can the Sakyaputtiya Samanas go to see dancing, and singing, and music, like those who are still enjoying the pleasures of the world?' And they told this matter to the Blessed One. 'You are not, O Bhikkhus, to go to see dancing, or singing, or music. Whosoever does so, shall be guilty of a dukkata.'

I'll be there live, but will also only begrudgingly shake my booty to trance music.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Joyo
    Sekishi, maybe to succeed one must dance with one hand clapping?

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    Sekishi, maybe to succeed one must dance with one hand clapping?
    I'll try that tonight. XD

How about some wah pedal guitar and a breakbeat? The Beastie Boys "Bodhisattva Vow":

Thanks to the "shouting through a bullhorn" effect it is pretty hard to understand MCA (maybe they were afraid of alienating listeners), which is unfortunate, because the lyrics are a pretty great modern take on the Dharma:

"As I develop the awakening mind
    I praise the Buddhas as they shine
    I bow before you as I travel my path to join your ranks
    I make my full time task
    For the sake of all beings I seek
    The enlightened mind that I know I'll reap
    Respect to Shantideva and all the others
    Who brought down the dharma for their sisters and brothers

I give thanks for this world as a place to learn
    And for this human body that I will have earned
    And my deepest thanks to all sentient beings
    For without them there would be no place to learn what I'm seeing
    There's nothing here that's not been said before
    But I put it down now so that I'll be sure
    To solidify my own views and I'll be glad if it helps
    Anyone else out too

If others disrespect me or give me flack
    I'll stop and think before I react
    Knowing that they're going through insecure stages
    I'll take the opportunity to exercise patience
    I'll see it as a chance to help the other person
    Nip it in the bud before it can worsen
    A chance for me to be strong and sure
    As I think on the Buddhas who have come before

As I praise and respect the good they've done
    Knowing only love can conquer in every situation
    We need other people in order to create
    The circumstances for the learning that we're here to generate
    Situations that bring up my deepest fears
    So we can work to release them until they're cleared
    Therefore, it only makes sense
    To thank our enemies despite their intent

The Bodhisattva path is one of power and strength
    A strength from within to go the length
    Seeing others are as important as myself
    I strive for a happiness of mental wealth
    With the interconnectedness that we share as one
    Every action that we take affects everyone
    So in deciding for what a situation calls
    There is a path for the good of all

I try to make my every action for that highest good
    With the altruistic wish to achieve buddhahood
    So I pledge here before everyone who's listening
    To try to make my every action for the good of all beings
    For the rest of my lifetimes and even beyond
    I vow to do my best to do no harm
    And in times of doubt I can think on the dharma
    And the enlightened ones who've graduated samsara"

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    #everdayismcaday

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post

And if it is a test, what constitutes a failure of said test, to dance or not to dance?

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/sbe20/sbe20017.htm
    6 2. Now at that time there was a festival on the mountain-top at Râgagaha; and the Khabbaggiya Bhikkhus went to see it.
    The people murmured, were annoyed, and became indignant, saying, 'How can the Sakyaputtiya Samanas go to see dancing, and singing, and music, like those who are still enjoying the pleasures of the world?' And they told this matter to the Blessed One. 'You are not, O Bhikkhus, to go to see dancing, or singing, or music. Whosoever does so, shall be guilty of a dukkata.'

I'll be there live, but will also only begrudgingly shake my booty to trance music.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Well, the Mahayana view (the Tibetans share this too) is that one must sometimes "breach" a Precept for the right reasons or, better said, it is not a "breach" depending on the context. I think the Buddha was probably talking about ancient Indian equivalent of Studio 54 and CBGBs (both also "ancient" now).

I believe the traditional "morning service" at Sojiji and Eiheiji is a dance, don't you?

There is a long history of Buddhist dance and "booty shaking" appropriate to culture and time ...

Shomyo (sacred Buddhist carols) ...

Tibetan Cham dancing ...

Shake that Buddha-booty! (though other can feel free to "clap along" in Gassho)

Gassho, J

I'll be sure to bite my lip hard while dancing, to balance out the gross sensuality of music and play.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

I'll be dancing on the inside...

Gassho
    B

-sat today-

Mp
    Wonderful stuff, thanks for the dance everyone. =) Have a great weekend.

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Great weekend everyone.

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

Thank You Sangha /\

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Thank you everyone, have a wonderful weekend.

Gassho,
    Shoka

sattoday

Thank you friends. Please find joy in the days ahead.
    Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Well, the Mahayana view (the Tibetans share this too) is that one must sometimes "breach" a Precept for the right reasons or, better said, it is not a "breach" depending on the context. I think the Buddha was probably talking about ancient Indian equivalent of Studio 54 and CBGBs (both also "ancient" now).
    I'm sorry, my post was not supposed to be a serious comment on the Vinaya / Precepts (with respect to music), just me being a goofball.

Thank you for the videos though. The Shomyo is something I'll definitely need to look into more!

Gassho,
    Sekishi

Thank you for the dance.
    Gassho,
    Ralf dancedtoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Was great to see a full house!

Gassho,
    B

-sat today-

Thank you all for the dance.

Sekishi, without any knowledge about the differences in Buddhism, I really enjoyed the Beastie Boys and your effort with the text.

The Shomyo encouraged my hope to learn Hannya Shingyo in Japanese, but I notice I find it hard without having "meaningful" words
    (My latest laps after I thought I had the English version memorized was "... set forth this mantra and complain..." )

So I've found a kind of literal translation into German (Kanji/Romaji/German word/text):
    http://www.zensplitter.de/Herzsutra.pdf

I don't know if this website might be of help to English speaking people on a similar quest (don't know about the quality):
    http://www.andrew-may.com/zendynamics/heart.htm

Good luck and keep on dancing!
    Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
    Thank you all for the dance.

Sekishi, without any knowledge about the differences in Buddhism, I really enjoyed the Beastie Boys and your effort with the text.

The Shomyo encouraged my hope to learn Hannya Shingyo in Japanese, but I notice I find it hard without having "meaningful" words
    (My latest laps after I thought I had the English version memorized was "... set forth this mantra and complain..." )

So I've found a kind of literal translation into German (Kanji/Romaji/German word/text):
    http://www.zensplitter.de/Herzsutra.pdf

I don't know if this website might be of help to English speaking people on a similar quest (don't know about the quality):
    http://www.andrew-may.com/zendynamics/heart.htm

Good luck and keep on dancing!
    Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday
    Hello,

Interesting. Thank you for the link.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you all who sat and will sit.

And thanks for the dance and Beasty Boys too!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Ansan
    I came here today to say "thank you all" for the sit. Thank you...and thank you all for the inspiration of infectious music and dance and words! Such joy!! I would watch in entirety but my data minutes are prohibiting me for long (over 15 minutes) videos. The sounds linger and and I am grateful.

Gassho,

Ansan

#SatToday

This was the first session ive sat through properly and what a great one!!!! Intersting music, lively children a keen visitor and the dancing kept me warm here at midnight in the mountains where we are about to get snow!!! Thankyou Jundo and everybody who danced and warmed me up just a little bit more lol

Sekishi
    thanks for the video, im a pretty big BB fan but id not heard that track before, and such a eautiful translation for it too!

Seems like its been a particularily joyful week of reflections, great timing for my life - THANKYOU ALL!!

Gassho.

#sattoday
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?