Thread: A Buddhist pilgrimage

A Buddhist pilgrimage

Visit some of the Buddhist pilgrim locations in India

On the Path of the Buddha: Buddhist Pilgrimage in North India

50min movie

..sat2day•
    Last edited by Troy; 04-18-2015 at 09:06 PM.

Joyo
    Thank you Troy, look interesting, I'll be watching for sure

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Hope you enjoy

..sat2day•

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hi Troy!

Thanks for the link. I will watch it this afternoon

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

That was interesting indeed, thanks for sharing
    Gassho
    Rodney SatToday

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Hope you enjoy

..sat2day•
    I did enjoy, thank you. I was interested in how different this Buddhism seems, just more into supernatural beliefs. Did you find that too?

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    I did enjoy, thank you. I was interested in how different this Buddhism seems, just more into supernatural beliefs. Did you find that too?

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today
    Yes, for most people in Asia, Buddhism is there religion not much different from any religion, and the Buddhas are their gods, the Bodhisattvas their angels and saints. That is fine. The commonalities among religions far outweigh the differences. Here is a very similar tradition in Mexico (I have encountered the same in Europe as well), and some of these pilgrims will travel such way for hundreds of miles ...

There are many doorways to belief and practice, just as there are many sentient beings.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today
    I found that interesting. A lot of that was new to me. Buddhism has so many flavors I don't think I will ever get my head around it all. My understanding is a lot of that depends on the culture it finds itself in. I wonder if Soto Zen has some element of supernatural belief? Maybe not in our westernized version, but traditional Soto? Jundo?

..sat2day•

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    I wonder if Soto Zen has some element of supernatural belief? Maybe not in our westernized version, but traditional Soto? Jundo?
    Oh yes! You name it, Soto has got it! The flavors of Soto Zen (and Zen in general) that one is likely to encounter in the West tend to be rather modernized, focused on lay and "in the world" practice, purged of many (not all) religious and supernatural elements. (The main exception to that may be the Soto Zen "Order of Buddhist Contemplatives"/Shasta Abbey/Kennett Roshi Lineage, who sometimes have professed some very mystical beliefs) ...

http://obcconnect.forumotion.net/t17...ddha-said-what

However, Soto Zen Buddhism in Japan is also people's religion. Most Japanese who are "Soto Zen" are so for historical reasons (there was a time, a few centuries ago, when the Japanese Samurai government insisted that everyone pick a temple to belong to, so most folks just picked the closest one). Most "Soto" Japanese could not tell you much if anything about what their temple believes or practices, as opposed to the "Jodo" or "Tendai" temple down the street. Most of the priests over the centuries then catered to what their parishioners wanted, namely, good health, good crops, protection of ancestral spirits, safe childbirth and such, and offered ceremonies and charms to help attain those things. For example, until modern times many Zen priests made quite a business saving women from this ...

https://zendirtzendust.wordpress.com...ol-hell-sutra/

Within Soto Zen there are also so many elements of esoteric practices mixed into our ceremonies and rituals, even though those are not emphasized by most Western Sangha (and especially not emphasized at places like Treeleaf, were the focus is very down to earth). For example, read a few pages from p.927 here for a taste ...

https://books.google.com/books?id=F0...remony&f=false

People believe that much of this came into Soto Zen in the times after Dogen, but he had his own rituals and beliefs too (as expected of a man of the 13th century) that might be considered rather magical today. For example, Dogen and the spirit of Mount Hakusan and other earth spirits ...

https://books.google.com/books?id=o-...oddess&f=false

It is not only Soto Zen, but also the Rinzai folks (and Chinese Chan and Korean Son traditions) ... about the same. It is only as Zen Buddhism has come West that one finds more modernized, worldly, down to earth practice free of much of the hocus-pocus and magic.

But, let me underline again: To each their own. One person's "silly myth" is another person's "sacred story", and one person's "abracadabra" is another person's "holy invocation of the spirits", and so it should be. Different people need different approaches.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-20-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

O Priests of Treeleaf! Please, save me and all the Treeleaf ladies from the Blood Pool Hell !!!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Fascinating Jundo. I have more I want to say but it will have to be later when I have a little more free time.

..sat2day•

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    But, let me underline again: To each their own. One person's "silly myth" is another person's "sacred story", and one person's "abracadabra" is another person's "holy invocation of the spirits", and so it should be. Different people need different approaches.

Gassho, Jundo
    Good reminder!

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Hi guys!

Yes, there are tons of those kinds of traditions here in Mexico. There are the people who would walk on their knees, the ones who would carry a real life wooden cross, there are those who walk for 5 nights and days and just last week I saw a guy wearing a thorn crown on his head.

Magic and faith are very strong here, but I don't think it's different from other places in earth. Whether it's Buddhism or Islam, we humans need something to believe in so desperately.

I myself would love to go to India and Japan and walk from temple to temple. Maybe someday

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

A Buddhist pilgrimage

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    I myself would love to go to India and Japan and walk from temple to temple. Maybe someday

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Me too Kyonin!

-------
    I have expressed myself regarding faith in past. I want to say more but I am having a hard time putting it in to words right now. A lot of the time, I am visual in my thinking and sometimes it is hard for me to translate it in to words without a lot of effort if that makes sense, lol.

I do love that Treeleaf is down to earth. The questions of faith/non-faith are left for us as individuals to figure out, but I also feel safe expressing myself from time to time. I also like hearing the belief/non beliefs of others because it challenges me and helps me grow spiritually. Thank you Jundo and Sangha.

..sat2day•
    Last edited by Troy; 04-21-2015 at 07:22 PM.