Thread: Zenshin Tim Buckley

Yugen

Zenshin Tim Buckley

Dear all,

Zenshin Tim Buckley passed away today. He was a mentor, teacher, and dear friend. My debt and gratitude to him are boundless, like the ocean.

Life is for the living - as he would say with his wry grin, "nothing to see here!"

He would wish us to practice with great urgency, "with our hair on fire."

I have included a link to the piece Sweeping Zen has run on him.

Deep bows
    Yugen

http://sweepingzen.com/zenshin-tim-b...f-lung-cancer/

Image.jpg
    Last edited by Yugen; 04-17-2015 at 03:01 AM.

Our hearts are with you, with Zenshin's family and his other Students and Friends.

Whenever you wish as you feel right, Yugen, please consider to offer at Treeleaf a Memorial Service or Zazenkai, led by you, in Tim's honor and memory (I have some examples for Nishijima Roshi, Jiho Sargent and Azuma Roshi I can send you as examples, if they will help). Whatever you feel is appropriate.

Endless Nine Bows for Zenshin, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-17-2015 at 03:08 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Yugen
    It would be my honor to do so Jundo.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Mp
    Yugen,

I am sorry for the lose of your friend and mentor Zenshin. Holding all of you in my heart and sending much metta. Deep bows to you, Zenshin, his family, friends, and Sangha. It would be an honour to share in a Treeleaf Memorial for your dear friend.

Nine bows
    Shingen

SatToday

Much metta Yugen. Deep bows

..sat2day•

Brother Yugen,

We have already spoken on this matter privately, but I again extend my deepest condolences; I would be most humbled to be able to attend a memorial service for your friend and mentor.

Gassho,
    Anshu

- sat today -

Hello,

Please accept condolences.

Metta to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Kyotai
    Yugen.

You have spoken so warmly of Tim Buckley. I am sorry for the loss of your friend and teacher.

Much respect

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

Dear Yugen,

my heart is with you, and the family and Sangha of this great man of whom you spoke so highly. May peace and comfort be found in memories and in his wonderful legacy.

*hug*

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Dear Yugen,
    Sorry for your loss.
    Gassho,
    David
    sattoday

Dear Yugen

I know how much Zenshin Tim meant to you and he was doubtless similarly loved by others in his sangha and his friends and family.

A sad loss for all.

Deep bows
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

I am sorry for you loss Yugen,

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

Metta

_/\_
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

My thoughts are with you Yugen and also Zenshin's other friends and family.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hi Yugen,

My most sincere condolences. I know what Tim means to you and to his students. I know he is loved and will be missed.

I only wish I could've met him.

Let me know if you need anything for the memorial service. In the meantime I'll sit for him, his family and his students.

Gassho and respect,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

So sorry for your loss, Yugen.

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat today

Nindo
    Deep bows.

Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday

Yugen

Zenshin Tim Buckley

Tim's passing is a loss for the entire Zen community. As one of Suzuki's original students, he was there for the beginnings of SFZC and Tassajara.... his career and practice in American Zen Buddhism spans its ties to Japan via Shunryu Suzuki to the american beat poets and native american teachers who have influenced zen to the wide range of practices and lineages in the United States today. While he was initially skpetical of Treeleaf, through our practice together and our 2013 retreat he got to know and respect our teachers and practice. We had many interesting discussions regarding the varieties of Zen practice - he believed in zen as a search for the truth - he was a member of the "sit hard" school - and did not much go in for socially engaged buddhism. As my practice is deeply involved in the latter, he listened carefully to what I had to say and had the admirable quality of challenging his own views as well as my reasoning.

Most importantly, he spent hours directly and indirectly teaching me the priest's craft - how to wear the Kesa, how to work at the altar, how to ring bells, how to run a zendo. This craft is being shared within Treeleaf now by the Unsui. In one of our last conversations I thanked Tim for sharing this craft with me - his response was "that is just your practice manifesting."

Tim's legacy, like life, like practice, flows into the large stream of being, a river joining the larger current as it approaches the open sea.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 04-17-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Mp
    Lovely and beautiful Yugen ... Thank you for being the wind that carries the seed of such a precious teaching. =)

Deep bows
    Shingen

SatToday

Yugen
    Shingen,
    Our practice together, your practice, manifest as the wind, bringing renewal and life to a new generation of practitioners. Thank you for sharing this with me. I am nothing but life manifesting as life - dust and seeds together carried by the wind.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hear this. Metta to all.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Dear Yugen, thank you for sharing Tim's practice here and I extend my heartfelt Gassho to you and to the sangha with whom Tim shared his life. Gassho Heisoku.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you for sharing your feelings and views of your dear friend and mentor Yugen. We can tell from your compassion how deeply he is missed
    Metta to all
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Sorry for the loss of your friend and teacher.

Sat today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

My condolences, Yugen

Gassho,
    Hotetsu

#SatToday
    Forever is so very temporary...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Much metta to you.

Gassho,
    Meredith

SatToday

Joyo
    Much metta to you, Yugen. He is still here, shining through your practice and into all of ours.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Dosho posted a talk by Rev. Buckley given at our Treeleaf Retreat in Maine a couple of years ago. It seems that this may be one of the few recorded Teachings by him.

Unfortunately, the sound quality is fairly poor. Can any of our whiz kids with a sound board do something to clear up the sound a bit? It would be a nice gift to leave to others. The Talk is from the 1:41 mark ...

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-19-2015 at 03:06 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Nindo

Hi.

Our hearts are with all touched by this.

May the force be with us all.
    Fugen
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Dear Yugen,
    so sorry to hear this.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Yugen,

I have been waiting for proper words to express my condolences, but none have been forthcoming. So, I will simply say that I am so sorry for your loss of a friend and mentor. However, he will always be with you and with all of us through his teachings. I feel very grateful that I got to meet him.

Endless bows my friend.

Gassho,
    Dosho