Thread: Zazenkai Survey: Questions for Our Regular Participants and Others

Zazenkai Survey: Questions for Our Regular Participants and Others

Hi Guys,

I would like to ask two questions of our regular Friday/Saturday Zazenkai participants and others who might participate (I WISH EVERYONE WOULD SIT OUR ZAZENKAIs!!!!) ...

-1- We will be changing the time of our 90 minute Zazenkais to one (1) hour later commencing from our next 90 minute Zazenkai ... on April 10th-11th. The new start times would be: 90 minutes commencing from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning). Unfortunately, this will not make it any easier for Europeans to join live (they will need to continue to sit with the recordings), but it may help some in North America, especially on the West Coast, who are coming home from work. (The times for the monthly 4 hour Zazenkai will not change).

Question: Does the change make your ability to participate more or less convenient, or no difference?

-2- Although I am very much of the "there are no distractions, birds are just birds, helicopters are just helicopters" school ... generally it is nice to keep the distracting background noise low if possible, as it facilitates a settled mind. For the future, I may mute my microphone during Zazen (until now it has always been open, allowing others to hear all the noise and backgrounds sounds from Japan). My plan is to ring the bell to start Zazen, mute the mike, unmute the bike just before ringing the bell to end Zazen. Some folks find the noise rather distracting, others actually seem to like the passing trucks and birds.

Question: Do you support muting the microphone, or would it really not bother you either way?

Thank you! We are always trying to make the Zazenkai environment better for everyone.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-29-2015 at 03:06 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

More convenient.

Not bother either way.

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

Hi,

question 1 - no difference

question 2 - quite like the background noise - but fine if
    sound is muted.

Gassho

Willow

sat today

Hi,

question 1 - getting up at 3am more likely than at 2am for me.

question 2 - sound would help me stay awake, that to add, very helpful.
    Harder practice if a silent night...

Thank you for asking. Deep bows.
    Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Q1: No difference.

Q2: Not bothered either way.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Hello Jundo,

1. - No difference at this end

2. - I kind of like the background noise, birds singing, sneezing, chatting, cars driving by, bugs a buzzing, helicopters, political car drive-bys ... all good zazen either way. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Hi jundo,
    1.I've been sitting zazenkai recorded half the time since I joined due to work commitments.so no problem for me as I'll just sit them all recorded over the weekend.
    2.Dont mind either way about the background noise,I'm half deaf anyway.

Gassho
    Dave
    sat today

Hi Jundo.

Question: Does the change make your ability to participate more or less convenient, or no difference?
    The time change works well here. A later start means more time for evening meal with the family, and time to digest.

Question: Do you support muting the microphone, or would it really not bother you either way?
    I like the sounds of the zendo,.... quiet talking, the birds outside, the sliding door... and so forth. However I will be content with whatever choice is made.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Yugen
    1) Time change is preferable

2) I like the background noise!

Deep bows
    Yugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    1) Time change is preferable

2) I like the background noise!

Deep bows
    Yugen

My feelings also.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

The recordings work well enough
    Gassho

Ongen

Sat today

Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Hi, Jundo -

#1 - No difference.

#2 - I like the background sounds, but either way is fine with me.

Thank you for asking.

Gassho,

Glo

Sat Today

1- The new time makes no difference to me.
    2- Does not bother me either way. The background bird noise reminds me of the sounds I would hear sitting in the old zendo I used to attend before joining Treeleaf.

Gassho,
    Matt
    #SatToday

Zazenkai Survey: Questions for Our Regular Participants and Others

Time change would make it possible for me to attend where before it was not due to work, but Friday nights are usually "Friday Family Fun Night" at my house so I don't know. I really like it when we have special guest early Sat and Sun mornings (CST in the US for me) because I can usually make those. I love sitting live with everyone when possible. I feel more connected.

General background noises don't bother me.

..sat2day•

Hi Jundo,

1. The new time is better for me, if anything. Makes it 7AM instead of 6AM, which means I can get up at 6 instead of 5! A sleep-in until 6AM is a bonus!

2. I don't mind the ambient noise from the Zendo. I live in a city of 30 million (!!!), so my ambient noise is traffic, sirens, traffic, construction and traffic. Oh, and did I mention traffic? I actually enjoy the chirping birds, etc. Also, it gives a feeling of sitting 'in' the Zendo'; sort of 'beyond space and time'...

Gassho,
    Anshu/ Bryson

sat today

Nindo
    1. no difference

2. I like hearing the birds and that heater jingle. Sounds make me feel more like being in the same place.

Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday

Joyo
    1. the new time may make it a bit more inconvenient as that is right in the middle of when my kids go to bed, but I'm pretty sure I can still make it work

2. I like the background noise, it makes it feel like we are more together

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Greetings Jundo,
    6 PM (PDT)would work better for me. I want to start sitting live. Up to now I watched the taped Zazenkai sessions, etc.
    I don't have a preference on muting, or not muting your microphone during zazen.

Gassho
    Theophan
    sat today

Hello

The change makes it more convenient for me. We often have family activities going on on Fridays which makes it difficult for me to get here to sit, but 9pm allows me to do both.

I do not support muting the microphone. It feels more live and yes together as Joyo says, and I think dealing with the realities that are "life" while sitting is good practice. It isn't escapism is it?

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today!

Kyotai
    Change in time would be slightly better for me. I like the birds in the background. Those who don't also have an option of turning volume down.

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

Hello all,

1. no difference, as I usually sit the recorded version

2. I like natural sounds in the background

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Hi,

Have to sit the recorded version in either case.

Sounds are fine, no sounds are fine, doesn't matter.

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi all,

1. No opinion here on the new time.

2. I prefer we keep sound on. I personally enjoy hearing the birds of Treeleaf, but more importantly I think that the Zendo mic provides important audible feedback that the connection is still open. It is particularly nice for those of us with poor internet connections. Of course our inter-connection can never be closed, but you know what I mean!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi all.

Jundo,

1) Starting one hour later would give me the possibility to join right after dinner (10 PM) more times. Specially in the coming winter. So it would be better for me.

2) Regarding the sounds, I prefer to hear them, makes the experience of sharing zazen "more real" for me.

Gassho,
    Daiyo.

#SatToday
    Last edited by Daiyo; 03-30-2015 at 02:43 PM.
    Gassho,Walter

Hi Jundo,

Thanks for asking...

question 1 -- one hour later is much better for me to make the live sitting, but I usually end up sitting with the recording anyway, so really it makes no difference.

question 2 -- I like the zendo noise, but either way is fine.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Hi all

1. As with most of the Europeans, this will make no difference but I am happy sitting along with the recording.

2. I like the mic being left on. Rarely becomes an issue.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

1. no difference

2. no difference

Gassho, Girai

Ansan
    This is a little off course, but I would honestly like to participate in the weekly and monthly Zazenkai but my computer problems won't permit it. I cannot watch videos as it crashes each time. I know I need a new computer but cannot afford it right now. Is there someway I can be part of this or do I wing it at home without a computer? Presently, my husband and I do daily sittings of 25 minutes and have added 10 minutes of kinhin. It is preceeded by a 30 read and discussion from one of our (or the library's) books on Buddhism. We tried 35 minutes of just Zazen but Keith is not yet conditioned to "sit" crossed legged. I have birds ready to chirp along with some other background noises.

Gassho
    Ansan

#SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansan View Post
    This is a little off course, but I would honestly like to participate in the weekly and monthly Zazenkai but my computer problems won't permit it. I cannot watch videos as it crashes each time. I know I need a new computer but cannot afford it right now. Is there someway I can be part of this or do I wing it at home without a computer? Presently, my husband and I do daily sittings of 25 minutes and have added 10 minutes of kinhin. It is preceeded by a 30 read and discussion from one of our (or the library's) books on Buddhism. We tried 35 minutes of just Zazen but Keith is not yet conditioned to "sit" crossed legged. I have birds ready to chirp along with some other background noises.

Gassho
    Ansan

#SatToday
    Hello Ansan,

Can you tell me a bit about your computer ... ie: What Operating System you use, how much memory (RAM) you have? Maybe I can help you find an alternative. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Ansan View Post

Gassho
    Ansan

#SatToday
    Thank you Shingen.

Also, feel free to watch the "one way" Youtube netcast ... either live or later. Could your computer handle that? One can just post in the thread for the event "I'm here", just so the other sitters move over and make room!

There is no lack or being far away in the desert if you do that, and your Zafu is right here with the rest of us.

Gassho, Jundo

1. I have to currently sit recorded - so no difference
    2. I like the Zendo noise

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

1. Doesn't matter; I sit with the recording.

2. Leave the noise. If it's ever distracting, I just turn down my speakers.

This is a little off course, but I would honestly like to participate in the weekly and monthly Zazenkai but my computer problems won't permit it. I cannot watch videos as it crashes each time. I know I need a new computer but cannot afford it right now. Is there someway I can be part of this or do I wing it at home without a computer?
    I have trouble sometimes too, because the "high-speed internet" available in my area is sometimes anything but. There are times I get through as much of the opening ceremony as I can, then wing it on my own with a timer. It's all good, though.

Gassho

jen

ST

1. too late/early for me, so I sit with the recording
    2. love the sounds of the birds
    Gassho,
    David
    sattoday

Ansan
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hello Ansan,

Can you tell me a bit about your computer ... ie: What Operating System you use, how much memory (RAM) you have? Maybe I can help you find an alternative. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday
    Thank you, Shingen!! I will send a private message.

Gassho,
    Ansan

#SatToday

Ansan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Thank you Shingen.

Also, feel free to watch the "one way" Youtube netcast ... either live or later. Could your computer handle that? One can just post in the thread for the event "I'm here", just so the other sitters move over and make room!

There is no lack or being far away in the desert if you do that, and your Zafu is right here with the rest of us.

Gassho, Jundo
    Thank you, Jundo!

No, my computer crashes anytime something moves on the screen, that includes smileys (sometimes), YouTube and any video and those wonderful videos you post in the forum. I had difficulty watching Taigu's videos on the rakusu as well as the Jukai. I would really love to be "live" or at least sit along with a recording on Zazenkai. "Live" is a little iffy because of our transmission way-out-here-in-the-boonies. It is slow but so is my computer. And maybe I am too. (hey! no crash!!) I will be so grateful if Shingen can help!

Gassho,
    Ansan

#SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Nenka View Post
    I have trouble sometimes too, because the "high-speed internet" available in my area is sometimes anything but. There are times I get through as much of the opening ceremony as I can, then wing it on my own with a timer. It's all good, though.

Gassho

jen

ST
    Me too, the internet is somewhat flimsy here. I often end up doing the opening ceremony, pause, timer, timer, timer, then the closing and waving. I wave back, even though I'm one-way. It feels like we're all together!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Ansan
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenka View Post

Gassho

jen

ST
    Hello, Jen. High Speed Internet? We have only Low Speed Transmission.

Gassho,
    Ansan

#SatToday

Ansan
    Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
    Me too, the internet is somewhat flimsy here. I often end up doing the opening ceremony, pause, timer, timer, timer, then the closing and waving. I wave back, even though I'm one-way. It feels like we're all together!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    Hi Lisa,

Thank you! I don't feel so "all alone" with my problems!!

Gassho
    Ansan

#SatToday

Hee hee I think in future I'll definitely be mindful that even when sitting alone I am sitting with others with computer issues.

Gassho

Jen

P.S. AT&T just made UVerse available in my area. Dare I be hopeful?

ST

I wave back, even though I'm one-way. It feels like we're all together!
    I wave to Youtube, too (and I didn't wave to Britney, that's not for all), and I nearly cried one way during the closing of the rohatsu sesshin.
    It's like waving to people in a car even after they have turned a corner.
    Our emotions make the wave turn the corner.
    (Oh, emotions, must I stop the waving now??)

I am sitting with others with computer issues.
    Definitely.
    Great practice opportunities, only do not iron before and after use...

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

I'm confused ... isn't that 2 hours later or did Japan not go on Daylight Savings time? I didn't realize the current one was at 6 p.m. mountain time or I would have been joining. 5 (which I thought it was) was too early, still working. In that case prefer the current time or the next day (12 hrs later or so)

Prefer the mic on when listening to recorded sessions.
    $0.02

SatToday
    Rodney

Q1: start time does not make a difference.
    Q2: I quite like the background noise from Japan, more like I'm there with everyone. Plus its presence tells me the computer link is still working, when my mind is waiting for the bell. hehee

_/st\_ Shinzan

Hello Everyone,

Well, first, I am so content with the fact that, about unanimously, folks are for keeping the microphone on ... and sitting with birds or trucks, the patter of raindrops or passing military helicopters. Lovely! This is true Zazen, sitting as What Is!

And, by consensus ... our 90 minute Zazenkai from next week will begin and end an hour later ...

90 minutes commencing from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning).

I apologize again to folks in Europe. However, when we have special Zazenkai (our next one, by the way, will likely be with Soto Priest/Dogen Historian/Translator Taigen Dan Leighton in May) I will endeavor to schedule it so that it is a Saturday or Sunday morning in North America, afternoon in Europe, late night in Japan.

Thank you all very much for the advice.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-04-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Taigen Dan Leighton!
    Yaaaaaayyy!
    Jundo, you are so good to us. Thank you!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Taigen Dan Leighton!
    Yaaaaaayyy!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    Agreed, so grateful

..sat2day•

Plus its presence tells me the computer link is still working, when my mind is waiting for the bell.
    That is a really good point. When it gets too quiet, I worry that YouTube is just sitting . . . and spinning.

Gassho

Jen

ST

Ansan
    I reiterate Lisa's enthusiasm! Taigen Dan Leighton is one of my favorite reads!

Taigen Dan Leighton!
    Yaaaaaayyy!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    Even though I probably won't be live, my zafu will be there and I will be Zazening on it from here.

Gassho,
    Ansan

#SatToday