Thread: Announcement: Special Zazenkai NEXT SUNDAY w/ Ben Connelly, of "INSIDE THE GRASS HUT"

Announcement: Special Zazenkai NEXT SUNDAY w/ Ben Connelly, of "INSIDE THE GRASS HUT"

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that REV. BEN CONNELLY of the Minnesota Zen Center and author of INSIDE THE GRASS HUT: LIVING SHITOU'S CLASSIC ZEN POEM, will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk NEXT SUNDAY MARCH 22nd, LIVE. Please come sit with us.

INSIDE THE GRASS HUT is our current "non-selection" in the Treeleaf "BEYOND WORDS & LETTERS" BOOK CLUB (LINK), and you are all invited to join there too for weekly reflections on this book. Truly, I believe it is one of the best, most direct, clearest Zen books I have read in recent years, and I also very much recommend it to all.

A little about Ben ...

Ben Connelly is a Soto Zen priest in the Katagiri lineage training with Tim Burkett at the Minnesota Zen Meditation Center. Connelly began teaching at MZMC in 2006, was ordained in 2009, and was made shuso, or head monk, in 2012. Ben is a musician by profession: a singer and songwriter, guitar teacher, film composer and multi-instrumentalist. As a priest in training at MZMC, he has taught a variety of courses to both newcomers and long-term Zen practitioners, and developed and leads Mindfulness in the Mountains backpacking/meditation retreats in Northwest Montana. He lives in Minneapolis, MN, and is dad to a teenage son.
    From a review of the book ...

Shitou Xiqian’s “Song of the Grass Roof Hermitage” is a remarkably accessible work of profound depth; in thirty-two lines Shitou expresses the breadth of the entire Buddhist tradition with simple, vivid imagery. Ben Connelly’s Inside the Grass Hut unpacks the timeless poem and applies it to contemporary life. His book delivers a wealth of information on the context and content of this eighth-century work, as well as directly evokes the poem's themes of simple living, calm, and a deep sense of connection to all things. Each pithy chapter focuses on a single line of the poem, letting the reader immerse himself thoroughly in each line and then come up for air before moving on to the next. Line by line, Connelly shows how the poem draws on and expresses elements from the thousand years of Buddhist thought that preceded it, expands on the poem's depiction of a life of simple practice in nature, and tells stories of the way these teachings manifest in modern life. Connelly, like Shitou before him, proves himself adept at taking profound and complex themes from Zen and laying them out in a practical and understandable way. Eminently readable, thoroughly illuminating, Inside the Grass Hut shows the reader a path of wholehearted engagement—with the poem, and with the world.

AVAILABLE:
    http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/inside-grass-hut
    http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Grass-H.../dp/1614291217
    HOW TO JOIN OUR ZAZENKAI LIVE:

The festivities will begin [PLEASE REMEMBER DAYLIGHT SAVINGS CHANGES] at 11pm Japan time Sunday (that is New York 10am, Minnesota 9am, Los Angeles 7am, London 3pm and Paris 4pm, all Sunday March, 22nd). Our sitting schedule will look like this ... perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a little Kinhin, a Talk by Ben for 25 minutes or so, and some Questions from our participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the Q&A.

Of course, the Zazenkai will be recorded and available to sit 'real time' at any time thereafter.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE LIVE 'TWO-WAY' BY GOOGLE+ HANGOUT:

I will try to have TWO HANGOUTS going simultaneously on two separate computers and separate wifi routers (I believe I can avoid technical issues with the second group that happened in the past). If you feel you are a person who would like to attend, are familiar with Google+, and have a reliable computer and good internet connection, please post in this thread that you would like to attend and can commit to attend at that time. (If you have any question on how to sign up for Google+, please PM DOSHO or SHINGEN and we will do our best to get you up to speed by Sunday)

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout, and up to 9 seats available in the second Hangout. We will also accept a waiting list of folks in case there is need. I will announce Hangout assignments this weekend, and provide further instructions for getting in.

If you wish to sit live, but only One Way instead of Two Way, the Zazenkai will be livecast on Youtube for one way viewing, and I will be accepting Questions for Ben via email during the Zazenkai, if you have. Remember, our way is "Not One Not Two Way!"

It would be great to fill our hangouts and have a big turnout. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and commit can come, please post in this thread. It will be worth your time.

Please make sure you state clearly "have Google+ and hope to sit in Hangout". Otherwise I will be confused about who is joining one way.

In fact ... where will we be sitting? Why, in the boundless Grass Hut right along with Master Shitou, of course!

Gassho, Jundo

Last edited by Jundo; 03-18-2015 at 08:58 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Wow Jundo, this is wonderful! =) If you have an extra seat available I will be more then happy to sit live, but will be sitting either way if it is a full house. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Joyo
    I will be there. Either live, or if there is not room participating along with the recording. Very exciting, thank you Jundo!

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Guys, please state clearly "have Google+ and hope to sit in Hangout". Otherwise I will be confused about who is joining one way.

Thanks.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-18-2015 at 02:52 AM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    "have Google+ and hope to sit in Hangout"
    Yes please it spot available. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Hi, have Google+ and hope to sit in hangout.

Gassho, Daiyo

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

I would like to be there live in the G+ hangout, barring the persistent computer glitch I've had.
    _/st\_ Shinzan

"have Google+ and hope to sit in Hangout"

Gassho,
    Anshu/Bryson

​sat today

Dear Jundo,

"I have Google+ and hope to sit in Hangout"

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
    明道 修眼
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hi Jundo,

I have G+ and hope to sit in hangout.
    (Hangout on air tried and tested, but should anything be different, please put me in the second row in case it does not work.)

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Hi Jundo

How wonderful! I will sit live but one way if that is okay. Look forward to it.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Fantastic! Thank you

Gassho,

Ongen / Vincent
    Sat Today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Hi
    Thank you again, Jundo, for having your zendo available to us.
    I will attend via Youtube.
    Gassho
    Jon T

Kyotai
    I will likely have to view it one way or participate later. Thank you Jundo for lining up all these wonderful guests.

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

I have Google+ and am signed up for hangouts and would love to sit live with everyone .

Gassho,
    Hotetsu

#SatToday
    Forever is so very temporary...

Hi Jundo,

I have Google+ and hope to sit in Hangout.

Gassho,
    Matt
    #SatToday

I will watch one way. Thank you for this opportunity.

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat today

Joyo
    Hi Jundo, I have google + and hope to sit in hangout.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Will come in late on Google + silent.

Great catch Jundo.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Hi Jundo!

I have Google+ and hope to sit in Hangout.

Thank you for this wonderful opportunity!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi Jundo
    Thanks this'll be great.ill be joining one way though.

Gassho

Dave sat today.

Sorry to be late to the party...thought this was next weekend.

I am in for sitting two way if a spot is available.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar

Announcement: Special Zazenkai NEXT SUNDAY w/ Ben Connelly, of "INSIDE THE GR...

Sorry for the late reply, been away. Thank you for this amazing opportunity Jundo. I would love to participate live: I have Google+ and hope to sit in Hangout.
    Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Last edited by Sekishi; 03-21-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: following instructions...
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you Jundo! I'll be joining one-way.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Sorry for the late reply, but if there is still room I have Google+ and hope to sit in hangout.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

Yugen
    I will participate one-way ...... Looking forward to this!

Gassho
    Yugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just started the book, very good so far. I will be sitting live but one way this time. Looking forward to it

Dear All,

The main page for this event is up!

SEAT ASSIGNMENTS:

I AM SORRY TO SAY THAT, DUE TO EMERGENCY TRAVELS BY JUNDO, I WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO HAVE ONE HANGOUT OPEN, SO SOME PEOPLE WILL NEED TO BE ON STANDBY.

We have 8 seats in the Hangout which will be on the Treeleaf Google Plus homepage (LINK). A few people, however, are on STANDBY for that group. The "STANDBY" folks should not try to come UNTIL I ANNOUNCE & REQUEST PEOPLE ON STANDBY IN CASE THERE ARE SEATS REMAINING at netcast start time. After that, IF there are still seats open before Ben's Talk, PRIESTS can come in last during Kinhin when I call for "Priests" if there are still open spots.

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT, AND TRY TO SEND OUT INVITATIONS ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS (as soon as I make sure Ben has gotten there. We practiced once, so Ben knows what to do).

The people for this group are:

Daiyo
    Shinzan
    Anshu
    Hotetsu
    Matt
    Joyo
    Shoka
    Sekishi
    Jundo
    Ben Connelly

Standby (by request)
    Danny B (Standby)

Priests (on Double-Standby): Kyonin, Shingen, Dosho, Shugen (first come basis)

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to Ben from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf@gmail.com) any question to Ben, and I will try to read him as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

Of course, we are all sitting in the boundless Grass Hut with Master Shitou!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-22-2015 at 01:46 AM.

Joyo
    I am honoured to have made the group. Thank you, Jundo. And I hope everything is ok.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I am also honored and hope that everything is well with you and your family.

Gassho,
    Hotetsu

#SatToday
    Forever is so very temporary...