Thread: Sitting with a group

Sitting with a group

Hi all,

I went to a Ch'an Group on Monday were the guest speaker was Ingen K Breen, one of Norman Fischers monks. Really lovely evening. Sat for 30 mins, then Kinhin for 10min before sitting again for another 30mins. Then we had tea on our zafus whilst discussing what is meant by 'Getting to the point of the matter'.

Feels odd sitting in a Ch'an Group as opposed to a 'Zen' (Japanese etc..) group but the fact I was sitting in a group was really nice.

#Sat Today _/|\_
    Sat today

Hi Tony

That sounds lovely!

What differences did you notice? Do you think you will go back?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Well I have never had the good fortune to be able to sit with a Japanese Soto group. It was more informal than I imagine a Soto group would be - particularly after the second sit and we all had tea.

Will I go back? Yes I think I will, fate Karma or the Great Lama in the sky has it that I wanted access to a group in 3D and now I have it. I think it would be foolhardy of me not to go. The practices are Silent Illumination and Hua'tou of course.
    Sat today

Sounds like fun Tony. Wish I had something like that around here.

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

Very nice, Tony.
    I sit 3D weekly with a Soto group and, yes, it is kind of formal during zazen, especially the teacher.
    After Zazen-Kinhin-Zazen we also have "ocha" (tea) with some ritual.

Formality helps me a lot to settle the mind. When I sit alone or online, I'm more prone to distractions.

It's a nice complement to my daily practice.

Gassho, Daiyo

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

That sounds really nice Tony - glad you've found a 3D group to sit with.

Gassho,

Willow

Sat today

Zen is beyond and right through all limitations and dimensions!

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE