Thread: Change of Scenery

Change of Scenery

Due to the circumstances of my job and lifestyle (which are interconnected much more so than for most people) I rarely am able to sit in the same spot for even so much as two consecutive days in a row and with even less consistency about what time of day sittings happen. Still I have been very consistent in sitting every day at sometime for at least 20 minutes. When the opportunity presents itself I take it. Usually I face a wall, but is that really important? Is looking at a pile of clothes or a bookshelf or a busy street still proper zazen so long as the mind stays calm and accepting?

Gassho

Sat Today

Mp
    Hello Byrne,

Whether facing the wall, a book shelf, the back of someones head while riding the train, or a pile of dirty clothes ... zazen is boundless like the air that fills our lungs. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Hi Byrne,

I've had this very same question in the past and found that it doesn't matter where in the planet you are.

Just sit still and be. Zazen is so immense and boundless, that it's the same wherever you go.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Kyotai
    Kyonin and Shingen said it well. I too sometimes cannot sit formally every single day. But sometimes the waiting room at my sons gymnastics class works just as well

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

Kyonin and Shingen said it well. I too sometimes cannot sit formally every single day. But sometimes the waiting room at my sons gymnastics class works just as well
    Yes! Sometimes I sit in my car between Karate and wrestling practices, to sit for even a small period of time. You can find small moments of zazen between the comings and goings, the foldings and washings, the cooking and cleaning.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

willsitwhen kids get off to school

Hi Byrne,

Sometimes I face the wall. Sometimes I don't. I does not seem to make a difference to me.

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

One can sit any place, and time, a busy or still place, facing in or out ... beyond all direction and measure.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...8Part-XXIII%29

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

What everyone else said. lol

I think it's just that early on it's easier if you sit in a silent place facing a white wall because when staring at funky things, you can get funky visions, but in the end, if you are sitting amidst that, that's pretty damned awesome.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

P.S. that may be the link jundo posted, but if you can meditate in downtown tokyo (like Jundo) or in the chaos of wherever you are ( I mean even if you are on a mountain, and you are in chaos, then you are in chaos), you can meditate anywhere. Plus it's great practice!

I have the same problem,I work away and sometimes start 2 or3am and then the next day maybe a 7'oclock,start so it's impossible to sit at a regular time.but try to sit every morning and night if I can stay awake that long.when I'm away I can only sit seiza due to restricted space but just try my best whatever the situation.think that's all you can do.

gassho

Dave
    sat today

Hi Bryne,

Yep, what everyone else said.

This might sound like a smartass answer, but I really don’t mean it to be. The place you sit is always on your own bum. The time is always now. And what’s in front of you is always just some particular manifestation of the world. So as long as you’re having some measure of consistency in making the time to do it, I think all is well.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
    Hi Bryne,

Yep, what everyone else said.

This might sound like a smartass answer, but I really don’t mean it to be. The place you sit is always on your own bum. The time is always now. And what’s in front of you is always just some particular manifestation of the world. So as long as you’re having some measure of consistency in making the time to do it, I think all is well.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    I really like that Lisa - it made me smile and it's very true.

Willow

Sat today

I am consistent about where I sit, and sometimes the time is different. Lately I've tried to catch people on Hangout so these times are variable.
    Elgwyn
    sat today
    Gassho
    _/\_
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Thanks everybody. Treeleaf has really helped me understand the importance of a sangha. The encouragement and focus is so very much appreciated.

Gassho

Sat Today

Thank you so much Byrne for this thread and thanks for your post in the Beginner´s series, Jundo.
    Different from my previous humanitarian missions, here I have to spend many days in the communities which we serve, resting in a tent. In those periods I have to do my afternoon-evening zazen session inside the tent. I was told in my Soto Zen training that beginners like me, should practice always in a silent room, until they gain enough strength of concentration to keep focused even in a noisy room (capacity that I don´t know if someday I could attain ). For that reason, many times I preferred waiting until my mates sleep in their tents to start my zazen, what is harder for me because I am sleepy too. Now that I heard about this I will try this new perspective next week.
    Gassho
    Miguel
    #Sat Today