Thread: Our Special Zazenkai & Talk with Rev. Tonen O'Connor is Here! Please Sit-A-Long!

Our Special Zazenkai & Talk with Rev. Tonen O'Connor is Here! Please Sit-A-Long!

WELCOME to our special Zazenkai guided by the Rev. Tonen O'Connor of the Milwaukee (Wisconsin) Zen Center ...

... LIVE from Treeleaf Tsukuba!

The festivities will begin at 10pm Japan time Sunday (that is New York 8am, Los Angeles 5am, London 1pm and Paris 2pm, all Sunday Dec. 21st).

The event is expected to last about 90 minutes or so. The content will consist of one sitting of Zazen, Kinhin, Tonen's Talk and a Q&A with our live participants, and perhaps a bit of Chanting. I apologize that we need to be a bit flexible on the timing and content this time, but just follow along!

A list of our "two way" live sitters is below. For "one way" sitters, the Zazenkai will be visible on the following screen during the above times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ... We are all "not two" way sitters! ...

Additional group (and the lighting is a bit better) ...

Tonen O’Connor was MZC's Resident Priest from 2001 until retiring from that role in 2011. She received ordination from Tozen Akiyama in 1994, dharma transmission in 1999 and in 2000 performed the ceremony of zuise at Eiheiji and Sojiji, head temples of the Soto school in Japan. She trained in Japan at Shogoji, Hosshinji and Hokyoji, and holds the rank of nitokyoshi within the Japanese Soto system as well as a four-year assignment as kokusaifukyoshi.

For over fifteen years she has worked extensively with inmates within the Wisconsin correctional system, served on the Wisconsin Department of Corrections Religious Practices Advisory Committee and gave a presentation on this work at a conference in Tokyo in 2008. Tonen served as chair of the Committee on Interfaith Understanding, is past President of the Board of the Soto Zen Buddhist Association and, with Zuiko Redding of the Cedar Rapids Zen Center, is co-founder of the Great Sky Sesshin, held annually for eight years at Hokyoji Zen Practice Community in Minnesota.

Prior to entering the Zen world, Rev. O’Connor had a 40-year career in the professional theater and was managing director of the Milwaukee Repertory Theater from 1974-1995. Tonen holds a Bachelor's degree with high honors from Swarthmore College and an M.A. From Tufts University. Tonen is the editor of Buddhas Behind Bars, has a response included in The Hidden Lamp and her translation of Kodo Sawaki's Commentary on The Song of Awakening will be published in spring 2014. She has two sons, four grandchildren, six great-grandchildren and lives happily with two splendid cats.

Gassho, Jundo
    SatToday

==================================

List of Live "TWO WAY" Sitters:

MAKE SURE YOU ARE "FOLLOWING" YOUR RESPECTIVE PAGE. PM DOSHO IF NOT SURE YOU ARE.

The following folks are in the Circle on our Treeleaf Google Plus Page called "Tonen Zazenkai Circle" ...

https://plus.google.com/b/1169304486...90706458/posts

Troy
    Bryson
    Shinzan
    Walter
    Nindo
    Sekishi
    Shokai
    Shingen
    Kyonin

The following folks are on our second "Treeleaf Jukai 1" Google Plus Page in "More Tonen Circle" ...

https://plus.google.com/b/1124127938...09963606/posts

Joyo
    Jizu
    Daizan
    Shawn
    Nameless John
    John H
    Dosho
    Yugen
    Shugen
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-26-2014 at 01:08 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I will join the unlisted one way list and be there with you

Gassho

Vincent
    Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Yugen

Our Special Zazenkai & Talk with Rev. Tonen O'Connor is Here! Please Sit-A-Long!

I'm looking forward to it!

Deep bows
    Yugen

About to sit today

Kyotai
    Me as well.

Gassho shawn
    Sat today

Joyo
    Looking forward to it, see you all there tomorrow.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Mp
    Wonderful! I too am looking forward to this practice and experience. Thank you again Jundo for providing this for us. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Wonderful! I too am looking forward to this practice and experience. Thank you again Jundo for providing this for us. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today
    No, thank Tonen for visiting Japan and agreeing to take a day to come up to Ibaraki Prefecture (where Tsukuba is)!

Gassho, J

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    No, thank Tonen for visiting Japan and agreeing to take a day to come up to Ibaraki Prefecture (where Tsukuba is)!

Gassho, J
    I will make sure that I take this opportunity to thank her in person. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today

NOTE TO ALTERNATES: We have a couple of folks who have been told they are an "alternate", and that they please should not come into the hangout right away. Once we start, if there is an open space after a few minutes, you will hear me say "would our waiting list persons come in". However, please wait until then.

One way or two way, you will be there!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-20-2014 at 06:21 PM.

The internet's been kind of flaky here today, so if I'm not able to get onto Google+, an "alternate" can hop in my place. Either way, will be sitting.

Gassho, John
    Sat Today

The Hall Is Open!

I see the Hangout for the main sangha page, but not the other one.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Actually, the one on the main page is a Hangout from the retreat that is still going!

Hi, not getting in, will go to one way

Gassho,
    Jon
    #SatToday

Joining in one way now. May be an extended sit considering the net bouncing in and out haha.

Gassho, John
    Sat/Sitting Today

If you are looking to get in to "Treeleaf Jukai 1", try this:

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/s...ser=0&hl=en-GB

Even if you were not on the list for "Treeleaf Jukai 1", please try to get in...last I checked there was space:

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/s...ser=0&hl=en-GB

Ah my apologies I miscalculated the time. I will join in afterward.

Vincent,

We have room...join us!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by vanMeerdervoort View Post
    Ah my apologies I miscalculated the time. I will join in afterward.

Hi Dosho, I thought it would be a few hours later than now
    I'm in the middle of nowhere on a 3G data connection. No way for me to join. But I will tonight when I have internet available

Enjoy,

Gassho

Vincent

Mp
    Ahhh that was wonderful! Thank you Tonen, Jundo, and everyone ... in much gratitude! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today

Jundo,

Please pass on our thanks to Tonen for sharing her time with us. Thank you and thanks to all of our members who attended!

Gassho,

Bryson

​sat today

Wonderful. Thank you and many bows.

Daizan

sat today

Thank you Jundo and Rev Tonen. Great to sit with you and hear the talk.

All good wishes from the UK.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Thank you Revs Tonen and Jundo. Gassho to all sitting this.
    Gassho
    Heisoku
    Sat today
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you all very much.

Gassho
    John
    sat today

Thanks to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you, Tonen-san, that was wonderful. I appreciate your talking about religio as an expression of truth and compassion in our everyday actions and words.

With a bow,
    Shinzan

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Lovely! Rev. Tonen, thank you for your practice and taking the time to talk with us today. Thank you Jundo for this opportunity. Thank you all for coming together!

Deep bows.

Sekishi
    #SatToday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you Tonen! I enjoyed the talk. I am inspired by your work with the inmates. My brother in law is getting out soon and will be staying with us for a while. Thank you Sangha for my first live sit

_|sat2day|_

Joyo
    Thank you to Reverend Tonen, and all who participated. I always feel a special connection when we practice together.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today--with all of you

_/\_
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Just finished up. Thank you Rev. Tonen, very grateful for the Dharma talk. I was one of the classic American religion nay-sayers as well, but you've really helped put a fresh perspective on it. Thank you Sangha for the sit and the insightful questions. Now, off to bed I go.

Gassho, Nameless John
    Sat Today

Yugen
    Thank you to Reverend Tonen, Reverend Jundo, and all my Dharma sisters and brothers who attended. It is wonderful to be together.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Kyotai
    Thank you all. Apologies for my audio difficulties.

Gassho, Shawn
    Sat today

Thank you Tonen-san for being with us today. You made us smile and happy.

And of course thank you Jundo for making this wonderful visit possible.

Have a lovely day, everyone!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you all very much.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Hi.

Thank you Rev. Tonen.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

#Sattoday
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Thank you Jundo and Rev. Tonen for this wonderful talk.

I've a lot to work and sit with.

Gassho,
    Walter.

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

This was great! Thank you, Tonen and everyone.

Gassho

Jen

ST

Thank you - Jundo and Rev. Tonen, wonderful talk - and good to see so many of our Sangha attending live.

Gassho

Willow

ST

Will be sitting this tonight.

Gassho,
    Matt

Finally sat this today, leaving me quite touched. Thank you to everyone who was there, who contributed - especially Tonens talk about religion and the way she sees it gave me something worthwhile to think about.

Deep gassho,
    Fabian
    #SATTODAY
    It's not about me. It's not about you. It's about us.

Here, by the way, is Tonen's talk with the additional group. The lighting is a bit better ...

Gassho, J

SatToday

Hello,

The gift that keeps on giving. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Excellent talk that I will be sharing with our sitting group tomorrow. Thanks to Rev. Tonen and to Jundo for hosting.

Daijo

Sat Today

Hello all

Thank you everyone who sits this and I just did this evening. Quite grateful I did, too! Thank you Rev. Tonen for visiting with us.

Gassho
    C
    Sat Today!

Thank you dear Sangha, and belated thanks to Reverend Tonen for visiting, and Jundo for making it happen. Wonderful talk!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today