Thread: BOOK RECOMMENDATION: Inside the Grass Hut

BOOK RECOMMENDATION: Inside the Grass Hut

Dear All,

I wish to recommend one of the clearest, most well spoken and down to earth presentations of our Soto Zen ways that I have read in a long time. Maybe now one of my favorite Zen books of all time (beyond "likes" and "dislikes", of course!

In fact, I am going to recommend this for our next reading in Treeleaf's "Beyond Words and Letters" Book Club (I think we will take a little break from the Book of Equanimity as we come to Koan 50) ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...TERS-BOOK-CLUB

... and I am going to see if the author would be willing to come here as a Guest Teacher one day soon.

This is Inside the Grass Hut: Living Shitou's Classic Zen Poem by Ben Connelly.

Enter the mind and practice of Zen: apply the insights of one of Zen's classic poems to your life in the here and now. Shitou Xiqian (jp. Sekito Kisen, 700–790)'s Song of the Grass Roof Hermitage is a remarkably accessible work of profound depth, in thirty two lines Shitou expresses the breadth of the entire Buddhist tradition with simple, vivid imagery. Ben Connelly's Inside the Grass Hut unpacks the timeless poem and applies it to contemporary life. His book delivers a wealth of information on the context and content of this eighth century work, as well as directly evokes the poem's themes of simple living, calm, and a deep sense of connection to all things. Each pithy chapter focuses on a single line of the poem, letting the reader immerse himself thoroughly in each line and then come up for air before moving on to the next. Line by line, Connelly shows how the poem draws on and expresses elements from the thousand years of Buddhist thought that preceded it, expands on the poem's depiction of a life of simple practice in nature, and tells stories of the way these teachings manifest in modern life. Connelly, like Shitou before him, proves himself adept at taking profound and complex themes from Zen and laying them out in a practical and understandable way.

Eminently readable, thoroughly illuminating, Inside the Grass Hut shows the reader a path of wholehearted engagement - with the poem, and with the world.

BEN CONNELLY is a Soto Zen priest in the Katagiri lineage training with Tim Burkett at the Minnesota Zen Meditation Center. Connelly was ordained in 2009, was made shuso, or head monk, in 2012, and has been teaching at MZMC for seven years. Ben is also a professional musician and developed and leads Mindfulness in the Mountains backpacking/meditation retreats in northwest Montana. He lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
    Thank you to Risho for first mentioning the book in an earlier thread.

This review of the book on Amazon expresses my feelings ...

The simplicity of this title hides a depth that holds a vast expanse of knowledge. Each line of Shitou's poem is explained as if the author had been there discussing it with him. There is a peerless insight in this work that sees through the centuries and into the heart of a simple mountain monk. I would recommend Inside the Grass Hut to anyone who is interested in Buddhism, from beginners to experts and everyone in-between. The book speaks in a contemporary language that makes Shitou's teachings available and relevant to people in the 21st century. I loved it and plan on reading it again.
    It will be an addition, recommended to newcomers and oldcomers alike, near the top of our Treeleaf suggested books list ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...REELEAF-SANGHA

Gassho, J

SatToday!

PS - I wish to mention as well Taigu's more poetic and expressive take on Shitou (Sekito) from awhile back.
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ekito-s-poem-1
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ekito-s-poem-2
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-15-2014 at 03:12 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

I've just downloaded the e-package (includes PDF, epub and mobi/Kindle versions) from Wisdom Publications:http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/inside-grass-hut for USD11.99, so I'll have a look during the week. It's the sixth book I've purchased from Wisdom; very happy with their selection.

Gassho,

Bryson

​sat today

Kyotai
    Thank you,

Gassho, Shawn
    sat today

Mp
    On my list it goes ... hmmm, Christmas gift to myself? Thank you Jundo. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today

Joyo
    I found it on amazon, will be ordering it today

Gassho,
    Joyo
    about to sit today

Added to the list, thank you for the recommendation

_|sat2day|_
    Last edited by Troy; 12-14-2014 at 11:09 PM.

PS: it is in Apple's iBooks store

_|sat2day|_

It's a great book! I finished a few days ago and am reading it again.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Ordering now
    Thank you and gassho
    #Sat2deo
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Just got the Kindle version. Thanks.

Gassho, Jishin

#SatToday

Saw this on one of the past threads recently, got the Kindle version...a wonderful book, thank you...

Bryson, thanks too for the link to Wisdom Publications, a nice selection of books indeed...

Gassho,
    Jon
    #SatToday

Hi all

I really enjoyed this book and can greatly relate Shitou's grass hut to my own situation at the moment. Maybe we all can, great works are universal.

Making it a book club read sounds like a great idea.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Didn't see Jundo's thread earlier but coincidentally got this book and started reading it on amazon just today

Gassho,
    Sam
    #Sat Today

Hello,

Ordered.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thanks, Jundo. I too loved the book. Shitou really sings for me, and Connelly's reflections are very thoughtful.
    _/\_ Shinzan
    sattoday

Thanks all.
    I did as Bryson and now have the digital version from Wisdom Publications.

Looking forward to read it with you in the Book Club, although I think that perhaps I'll have a peek before, I'm eager to start reading it.

Gassho,
    Walter.

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

Ansan
    Thank you, Jundo, I will get a copy from Amazon and look forward to reading it!

Gassho,
    Ka
    SatToday

Thanks, Jundo!

Another one to the ever growing list

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I've already started reading it.
    I do not remember another zen book (well, I've read just a few) so motivating and beautiful.
    I'm enjoying every single line and it reflects my current questions about life and practice.

In my humble opinion, it should be one of the first books one reads when starting to stumble along the zen path.

Thank you SO MUCH for the recommendation, Jundo and Risho.

Gassho,
    Walter.

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

I have been in touch with the author, Ben Connelly, and he has agreed to come lead Zazen for us one day in February of March (date to be determined).

He thanks everyone for their kindness toward his book.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday!
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I have been in touch with the author, Ben Connelly, and he has agreed to come lead Zazen for us one day in February of March (date to be determined).

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday!

I'd better start reading it then, so I can ask some educated questions...!

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday!
    Will look forward to that,

thank you

Gassho

Willow

Sat Today

Thank you for inviting him, Jundo!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday!
    That is just amazing.

Thank you very much, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Walter.

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday!
    That is awesome!

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Beautiful book, started reading last night. Thank you.

Gassho
    John
    sat today

Mp

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday!
    This is awesome Jundo, thank you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today

Joyo
    Jundo, very exciting news. This is a beautiful book. I just started reading it, but I can already tell it is going to deeply affect my practice.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Favorite quote so far (I am still reading it).

“A balance exists between accidently cultivating attachment by being present to life and denying oneself the enjoyment of your moments as a means to let go of attachment; it is a Middle Way between realizing impermanence and realizing the present moment.”

_|sat2day|_

Hi.

It's on the list.

Thanks to Jundo for being awesome and reaching out to other Teachers in order to broaden our horizon.

Gassho
    Aske
    #SAT TODAY!
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo

How great that he will visit us! I started reading the book a few days back and almost instantly fell in love
    Thank you for pointing this out Jundo!

Gassho

Vincent
    Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Thanks Jundo
    I got my copy in the mail today.
    Gassho
    Sat Today
    Theophan

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by vanMeerdervoort View Post
    How great that he will visit us! I started reading the book a few days back and almost instantly fell in love
    Thank you for pointing this out Jundo!

Gassho

Vincent
    Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had the same reaction. I started reciting this poem every evening. It is a beautiful book.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today