Thread: Split Thread: Treeleaf Facebook Page - Yes? No? Better?

Split Thread: Treeleaf Facebook Page - Yes? No? Better?

NOTE FROM JUNDO: I SPLIT THIS THREAD FOR A DISCUSSION OF THE TREELEAF FACEBOOK PAGE AND WHAT CAN BE DONE TO USE IT WELL.

Hi.

Just a reminder, you do know Treeleaf is on facebook?
    https://www.facebook.com/treeleafzendo

Thank you for your practice.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-25-2014 at 02:23 AM.
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen View Post
    Hi.

Just a reminder, you do know Treeleaf is on facebook?
    https://www.facebook.com/treeleafzendo

Thank you for your practice.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Actually, we really do not use Treeleaf's Facebook page for several reasons. One is that it is rarely updated. Another is that I find the form of communication on facebook extremely superficial. I would almost like to delete our Treeleaf facebook page.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Actually, we really do not use Treeleaf's Facebook page for several reasons. One is that it is rarely updated. Another is that I find the form of communication on facebook extremely superficial. I would almost like to delete our Treeleaf facebook page.
    Jundo,

I tend to agree with you, but let's not forget that people say the same thing about our forum at times. I do believe FB is what you make of it.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    Jundo,

I tend to agree with you, but let's not forget that people say the same thing about our forum at times. I do believe FB is what you make of it.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today
    Yes, I just wrote to Fugen about it. Maybe it just needs to be better tended, with one of our members to watch over it and keep it up. Let's talk about this on a separate thread.

I will start one and move the conversation there.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Personally, I am a regular FB user and find it a great tool if used properly. But it depends on what we are trying to achieve. Is it for communication? Is it for 'advertising' (not in the commercial sense, but to get info out about the group)? Does it add anything to what the group already has?

My only concern would be that it would become a 'chat' room. This forum is a place for learning, for contemplation and for 'right speech'. Do we need any more than that? If people want to be 'social', they can be so without doing that within a Treeleaf-labelled 'place'. Social networking often goes past the 'gentle speech' we call for in this forum. It would likely require some effort to moderate a more 'social' page.

Again, does it add to anything we have?

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

Hi Bryson,

I tend to agree, but wait to hear what all our members feel.

I believe that FB is not a good place for communication, which is best served by the Forum. It would perhaps just be a place to post notices about Sangha events and happenings to folks outside the Sangha and Forum Community.

However, that is just my impression as someone who only looks into a few FB pages and is not a regular user.

Gassho, J

Sattoday!

It would perhaps just be a place to post notices about Sangha events and happenings to folks outside the Sangha and Forum Community.

Hi Jundo,

I think that, if that is the purpose, you can set the page to not accept posts from other people.

The advantage of multiple platforms (this forum, the Google+ page, Facebook, etc.) is the ability to cast a wide net. The disadvantage is the issue of moderation (if a forum) and keeping the information constantly updated (perhaps you can call for volunteers?).

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

I think that it wouldn't hurt to have a well maintained and moderated facebook page that perhaps advertises or highlights one or other discussion on this forum, more as a means to let people know the forum exists. As a means of communication Facebook is a crumb compared to the treeleaf forum cake.
    Although I must say some of the facebook zen groups do have interesting discussions now and then.

So as a way to let people know the forum is there: yes! As a second discussion platform: no.

I'd be happy to volunteer to maintain a page like that by the way. I have some other facebook pages I take care of, could easily take this in on the todo list.

Gassho

Vincent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Kyotai
    I think Treeleaf should keep a Facebook page for the purpose of directing folks interested in zen to our forum. I see no real need to continually update it or even allow posting.

Just my two cents

Gassho, Shawn
    Sat today

Hi.

Treeleaf should maintain a wellmanaged and moderated facebookpage.
    If we can set it to not accepting posts from other that would be good as it should be used to highlight Treeleafthings and not be a place for talking as much as being talked about.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Hello all

I have been a member of most of the Zen groups on Fb and, to be honest, most of the discussion tends to be overly intellectual and not to my taste. Whether that is a fault of the membership, the leadership or the medium I don't know but I agree with the opinion here that a Treeleaf Fb page should serve the purpose of giving announcements and directing people to here. Why have another place for discussion?

Gassho
    Kokuu

Hi all,
    I feel that fb can be pretty contrived. To me, the forum is the best place for communication. Fb has become like the MySpace of old. I do have a fb page, but I rarely check it. My two cents, though an announcement page of upcoming events doesn't sound too bad.

Gassho,
    Scott
    Haven't sat yet, but practicing samu as we speak 😊.
    Forever is so very temporary...

Hi all,

I use facebook daily and think it could be a nice way to present Treeleaf to new people.
    But there are a lot of new-age-like facebook pages, and the word "zen" is very commonly misused for marketing or things which have nothing to do with actual zen buddhism practice, from selling tea to profesional graphical design services; I believe the main (only?) discussion place should remain this forum so new people have to bother themselves to read through to see if this what they're looking for.

A facebook page would be good as an announcement board for the forum, advertising events or perhaps ceremonies, and always pointing to the forum.
    What could be counterproductive is that it may attract a lot of people being just curious and without a genuine interest in soto zen practice.
    But those could be just my prejudices.

Gassho,
    Walter

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

Hi all,

My two cents are that it wont' be a useful as some people may think because of how FB attempts to get business to pay to "Boost" a post. Basically if you "like" a page, you would think you would see all it's posts, right? That's not the case. Try this with a friend, like a page and then monitor who sees which posts. For pages that are huge and get hundreds of likes in moments everyone who likes that page will see it, because FB believes that if it gets a lot of "likes" then more people can see it. But in the case of small FB page, which doesn't intent to get a lot of comments on the post itself (because ideally people would come to the forum and post), the posts won't spread to everyone. And if people aren't actively liking and sharing the posts they will only be seen by a very small percentage of the people who like the page.

Just my two cents, that well maintained FB page also needs people to like, comment and share for it to spread, unless you are willing to pay to boost posts.

Gassho,
    Kathryn

Sat Today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think Treeleaf should keep a Facebook page for the purpose of directing folks interested in zen to our forum. I see no real need to continually update it or even allow posting.

Just my two cents

Gassho, Shawn
    Sat today
    I agree ... have a FB page is actually FREE advertising and a good thing. As for the keeping it updating, I feel it needs to be either updated as a current system for information, or the former and just a advertising gateway ... consistency is always a good thing. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Just my two cents

Gassho, Shawn
    Sat today
    What Shawn said.
    Gassho,
    Nindo

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    I agree ... have a FB page is actually FREE advertising and a good thing. As for the keeping it updating, I feel it needs to be either updated as a current system for information, or the former and just a advertising gateway ... consistency is always a good thing. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday
    Thank you Shingen. I still want to insist, though, that we are trying to avoid aggressive "advertising" of this place, although I am happy to provide "notice and information" to folks who might benefit. Just a word, but I think the difference is trying to chase people in the door, rather than simply make our resources known to people trying to sit without a local Sangha available to them. So, I see nothing wrong with updating the page with information on our various events such as Rohatsu Retreat, Jukai, Ango, Zazen sitting and such.

Gassho, J

SatToday

I agree with the opinion here that a Treeleaf Fb page should serve the purpose of giving announcements and directing people to here.
    Ditto.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Split Thread: Treeleaf Facebook Page - Yes? No? Better?

I think it would be confusing to have discussions going on in two different places. I would be fine with either FB or here but not both. That said, I do not see any advantage to changing things.

_|sat2day|_

Joyo
    I would keep it up as advertising so we can perhaps reach others who want to be part of a sangha but there is not one close by.

I personally like the forum for discussions. It is more private than facebook.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Hi all,

The FB page should be updated with current events and directions to the website, but beyond that I don't think anything is necessary. Discussions should happen here.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Mp
    ... but I think the difference is trying to chase people in the door, rather than simply make our resources known to people trying to sit without a local Sangha available to them.
    Oh yes Jundo I totally agree ... this can be a challenging thing sometimes when it comes to advertising. I think you have made a great suggestion by posting events and happenings with Treeleaf and in doing so advertising that we are here is done as well ... Not two ads, but one. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Hi guys,

I don't like Facebook at all, but that's just me. I only use it for work related stuff and to repost stuff from Twitter.

That said, if we maintain the Facebook page only to announce events and conducting people to here, it might work.

But then again I am a certified Facebook Grinch by the World Facebook Grinch Federation.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Facebook is the Mos Eisley of the internet.. either that or I'm too old and outside of its demographic. lol

Gassho,

Risho

I completely get why some folks stay away from FB as it can get extremely toxic. I have found it to be a useful way to share a few photos and thoughts, but I try not to go overboard or get into any arguments. I have not always been successful, but it has been mostly positive.

I do think groups that are looking to attract members like us should be there, not to advertise, but to "post notices" as Jundo likes to say. It will be what we make it.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    Facebook is the Mos Eisley of the internet.. either that or I'm too old and outside of its demographic. lol

Gassho,

Risho
    Gee, I had to look that up. It is the lawless town in Star Wars with the famous bar. Yeah, I get the point!

Okay, I feel we have a .... CONSENSUS!

- FB Treeleaf should be primarily for posting notices of events like Retreat, Jukai, Zazenkai, new Podcasts/Talks, Engaged Projects and such.

- It is not for general conversation, and should be locked to outside postings except by the moderators (except that there can be comments accepted to posts by anyone in the Treeleaf or the general public).

- It should be updated more regularly (it does not need to be daily, but updated once a week or month at least would be nice) and better maintained by a moderator. Vincent, since you have experience moderating other FB pages, and have so kindly volunteered, may we be in touch about your undertaking this? I know everyone thanks you for that.

Maybe when the moderator goes in there, he can even go back a couple of years and delete any outside posts that are already in there, cleaning it up a bit.

Does that sound good?

Gassho to all for your guidance.

Jundo the Hutt

SatToday

Last edited by Jundo; 11-26-2014 at 02:30 AM.

Hi there - I think its a good idea to keep the face book page within the limits set out. It's a familiar, non-threatening way to mention Tree Leaf to others and could be a
    good entry point for those who are interested to explore the idea of a Zen online community.

Gassho

Willow

sat today

Mp
    Gee, I had to look that up. It is the lawless town in Star Wars with the famous bar. Yeah, I get the point!

Okay, I feel we have a .... CONSENSUS!

- FB Treeleaf should be primarily for posting notices of events like Retreat, Jukai, Zazenkai, new Podcasts/Talks, Engaged Projects and such.

- It is not for general conversation, and should be locked to outside postings except by the moderators (except that there can be comments accepted to posts by anyone in the Treeleaf or the general public).

- It should be updated more regularly (it does not need to be daily, but updated once a week or month at least would be nice) and better maintained by a moderator. Vincent, since you have experience moderating other FB pages, and have so kindly volunteered, may we be in touch about your undertaking this? I know everyone thanks you for that.

Maybe when the moderator goes in there, he can even go back a couple of years and delete any outside posts that are already in there, cleaning it up a bit.

Does that sound good?

Gassho to all for your guidance.

Jundo the Hutt

SatToday
    Wise words spoken Jundo the Hut has done. =)

zen-master-yes-are-you.jpg

Gassho
    Shingen

#justsat

Hi all,

Sounds great. And Jundo, of course. As I said, I would be honored to maintain the FB page.

Gassho
    Vincent
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

hahahah Jundo the Hutt

Gassho,

Risho

Sounds perfect. Nothing to add. So nice that everyone agrees. It continually amazes me that Treeleaf has managed to bring together so many pleasant and thoroughly reasonable people.

If Facebook is the Mos Eisley of the internet then Treeleaf is the Jedi Temple

Gassho
    Aske
    #Sat Today!
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by vanMeerdervoort View Post
    Hi all,

Sounds great. And Jundo, of course. As I said, I would be honored to maintain the FB page.

Gassho
    Vincent
    Thank you Vincent, much appreciated!
    Nindo

_/sat today\_

Hi all.

Just saw the Rohatsu retreat announcement in facebook and felt a rush of joy.

Thanks Vincent (or whoever did it)

Gassho,
    Walter

#SatToday
    Last edited by Daiyo; 11-27-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    Gassho,Walter