Thread: What's in a name?

What's in a name?

Hi,

Just a question about Jukai and thereafter. I notice that quite a few go by their Dharma names, while a number do not. I don't have any problem with it either way in my own case. I already have a lot of names. To my kids I'm Dad, to my grandkids I'm Papa, to my friends I'm John, and to my patients I'm Dr. (until I invite them to call me John). So I can either "change" my name after Jukai or not. But I'd appreciate input from any who'd be willing to offer your reasons.

Gassho
    John
    sat today

John,

My advice would be not to concern yourself with such a thing until after jukai. Until then, finish your rakusu or post pictures showing you are done.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Hi,

Just a question about Jukai and thereafter. I notice that quite a few go by their Dharma names, while a number do not. I don't have any problem with it either way in my own case. I already have a lot of names. To my kids I'm Dad, to my grandkids I'm Papa, to my friends I'm John, and to my patients I'm Dr. (until I invite them to call me John). So I can either "change" my name after Jukai or not. But I'd appreciate input from any who'd be willing to offer your reasons.

Gassho
    John
    sat today

Hello,

I been told that a name is just part of the story I create about myself.

Gassho, Jishin

#SatToday

Hi John,

You will receive a Dharma Name at Jukai (I will write more later on about how I pick those and what they mean), and you can choose to go by that or not.

A rose is a rose by any other name.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Gassho
    John

sat today

Hi John,

I guess going by your dharma name is totally up to you.

I use my own dharma name as a reminder that my practice is a big part of who I am and that I live to serve. But that's just me and everyone knows I'm crazy

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    I use my own dharma name as a reminder that my practice is a big part of who I am and that I live to serve.
    Wonderful Kyonin ... I too am the same way. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

I've told this story before, but my first Dharma name was Kojip. That is what is written. The teacher, who is Korean, said it meant Four Noble Truths, and the Chinese characters for it were those for four holy truths. For a few years I went by this but always got an odd reaction from Korean people, like they would look at each other and then look at me with a smile. Finally I asked a local shopkeeper about the name Kojip, and he explained that it is a well known term for a Stubborn, Blinkered, Fool. Looking back at that relationship,such as it was, it makes sense. Daizan is much better... but I'm still a stubborn blinkered fool

Gassho
    Daizan
    Sat today

Sorry for my ignorance.

What does going by X name mean?
    Gassho,Walter

Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    What does going by X name mean?
    I'm not sure what you mean Walter. If one were to say, "Should I go by X name?", that would mean the same thing as solving for X in math...basically that you don't know what X is yet. However, I didn't see anyone use that phrase, so I'm not sure if that answers your question.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    I've told this story before, but my first Dharma name was Kojip. That is what is written. The teacher, who is Korean, said it meant Four Noble Truths, and the Chinese characters for it were those for four holy truths. For a few years I went by this but always got an odd reaction from Korean people, like they would look at each other and then look at me with a smile. Finally I asked a local shopkeeper about the name Kojip, and he explained that it is a well known term for a Stubborn, Blinkered, Fool. Looking back at that relationship,such as it was, it makes sense. Daizan is much better... but I'm still a stubborn blinkered fool

Gassho
    Daizan
    Sat today
    Oh oh... I can just see me getting "stubborn, blinkered fool" for my new Dharma name... ;-)

I quite liked this article from Koun Franz... http://nyoho.com/tag/dharma-name/

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

Walter, it means to use name X as your name on a forum or in real life.
    On this forum, you go by the name of Walter. I go by the name of Vincent.

If my jukai name would be BlahBla and I start using that instead of Vincent, I would 'go by the name of' Blahbla

Gassho

Blahbla

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Quote Originally Posted by Bryson Keenan View Post
    Oh oh... I can just see me getting "stubborn, blinkered fool" for my new Dharma name... ;-)

I quite liked this article from Koun Franz... http://nyoho.com/tag/dharma-name/

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today
    Thanks all and thanks Bryson. That's a very helpful article.

Gassho
    John
    sat today
    Last edited by Meishin; 11-25-2014 at 06:08 AM.

Thanks Bryson for pointing out that article! It's great

Gassho
    Vincent

Sat today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source