Thread: Withdrawing from Jukai

Withdrawing from Jukai

I am writing to withdraw my participation in Jukai this year. One of my foibles is, I think, procrastination and I have been too long in bringing this to the Sangha. I intended and started to participate in Jukai this year and pretty quickly felt that this is not the year for me to complete it. I am not someone who pulls out of things lightly and have sat with this for a few weeks. I am sure I will sit with it for a while to come. I think I rushed the decision to “join in” this year. I have a deep respect for Treeleaf and the being a part of the Sangha is important to me. I find Shikuntaza to be a wonderful practice which resonates with me and I sit every day, in fact this is the longest time I have had a continual meditation practice. Even though I sit with no intention, I feel it benefiting me all day.Yet I have an ambivalence to completing Jukai which I need to sit with further.
    Deep bows to you all
    Jamie
    Sat today

Yugen
    Hi Jamie,
    As you said, sit with your ambivalence. I respect your decision. I'm glad that you find Shikantaza to be a worthwhile practice, and as I am sure you know, Jukai is not a prerequisite for a deep and fulfilling practice. The time may come when you feel ready to proceed, and then again it may not. Respect your own feelings on this matter.

If it helps you at all to work through or share any of your thoughts I know Jundo and any of the Unsui, or for that matter any Sangha member with whom you feel comfortable would be happy to listen. If we can help in any way please let us know.

Peace

Deep bows
    Yugen

sat today

Just as Yugen said.

Jukai, by the way, is just a celebration of our commitment to live today seeking as we can do good avoiding harm for self and others (not two, by the way), as well as continue to Practice and Learn this Buddhist Way. The Ceremony, in my view, is primarily a celebration of that fact of daily living ... much like a wedding is not a marriage or love, but simply a celebration of the day to day living of such. So, please seek to live such way as you can, and maybe you might undertake Jukai another time.

Gassho, Jundo

Sattoday!

PS - I just listened to a pretty good public radio program on the philosophy of procrastination. It hit home too, because it is something I fall into too.

http://www.wpr.org/shows/procrastination
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-19-2014 at 02:49 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Jamie,

As Yugen has said, there are a number of people withing the Sangha who would be very willing to be a sounding board if you are striking difficulties. I am also relatively new to the group, but have found the members (the Unsui of course, but also people like my Ango-buddy, and a number of experienced senior members) to be most welcoming and most helpful with all matters to do with the practice and with the 'way' things are done in this virtual Zendo. There is, of course, no hurry! I find that my own Shikantaza practice has helped me focus on other decisions, such as committing to Ango and Rohatsu, taking Jukai, and other things outside the sphere of the practice. That said, Shikantaza is complete in itself. I wish you well with your continued practice. Other things, such as Jukai, may or may not follow, but, hopefully, Shikantaza will continue to resonate with you.

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

Hi Jamie

I too considered passing on Jukai this year. I wanted more time to savor this experience and I needed more time to sew the rakusa ( ughhh you should see my stitches, looks like a map of Snake river ) BUT the Precepts part and zazen.....all good.

I took my concerns to Jundo.....and what he wrote to you is exactly what he said to me, 'cept he called me out on my procrastinating ways which I now realize was just fear about my sewing skills....seriously, Snake river all the way
    But most importantly his words helped me cut through and find my true hesitation.

Support is always here/there/everywhere, it's one of the reasons we all chose Treeleaf. Know that I am with you in spirit no matter what you decide.

I will be participating - overcoming my procrastifeartions....adjusting my river bends with a smile and a head shake.

-Nandi - sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    ... seeking as we can do good avoiding harm for self and others ... seek to live such way as you can ...
    Hello Jamie,

Thank you for sharing with us ... I don't really have anything additional to say that these wonderful folks have not already said, but know when the time is right, you will feel it. Jundo says it so well with the quote(s) above. If you have any questions or concerns, know that we are always here. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#SatToday

Kyotai
    Jukai or no Jukai, we are all one Sangha. Here with you Jamie.

Gassho,
    Shawn
    Sat today

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    ... when the time is right, you will feel it.
    There is no rush, Jamie. I waited an extra year with Jukai, too. You can still be engaged in the precepts discussions and then mull over the precepts - and start practicing them! - until next year's ango.
    May you be well!
    Nindo

Yugen
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Gassho,
    Shawn
    Sat today
    Brilliant Shawn - heartfelt and genuine.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie,

I have little to add to what my brothers and sisters have already said very well.

Follow your heart...it will steer your course true.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Jukai didn't come easy for me either Jamie. If/when you want to, do it. Peace in all experiences.
    Gassho
    C

Jukai is easy, living the practice.. now that's hard. lol Everyone gets discouraged with practice; ok I'm generalizing, but I know I do, and I know I'm not alone... To echo what everyone else has said, we are here for you

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Gassho!

Vincent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Thank you all for your understanding and support.
    Gassho
    Jamie

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Gassho,
    Shawn
    Sat today
    Great words Shawn, how true. We are all here with you, Jamie, no matter what.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today