Thread: BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 47

BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 47

Case 46 never ends, yet now comes ...

Case 47: Joshu's Cypress Tree

http://books.google.co.jp/books?id=i...garden&f=false

Is the tree outside you? Is it within you? Are you in the tree? In Bodhidharma? What you or not you? What Bodhidharma? What tree?

All such questions do not even begin, nor end, to express the endless coming of the tree in the garden.

Does it grow with time? Does it stand mighty and still and timeless? Which is it?

Are you Joshu? Is Joshu coming from the west as Bodhidharma? As you? As a tree? No coming or going? Thus coming and thus going?

A version of this Koan goes ...

At that time, a monk asked, “What is the intention of the ancestral master [Bodhidharma]’s coming from the west?”
    The master said, “The cypress tree at the front of the garden.”
    The student said, “Reverend Preceptor, don’t use objects to show people.”
    The master said, “I don’t use use objects to show people.”
    [The student] said, “What is the intention of the ancestral master’s coming from the west?”
    The master said, “The cypress tree at the front of the garden.”

Master Dogen wrote, in riffing on this Koan in Shobogenzo Hakujushi (the Cypress Tree) ...

The principle we should understand here is the point that “the cypress at the front of the garden” is not “an object,” the point that “the intention of the ancestral master [Bodhidharma]’s coming from the west” is not “an object,” the point that “the cypress tree” is not the [subjective] self; for [it is said,], “Reverend Preceptor [Master Joshu] don’t show a person with an object”; for [it is said,] “I don’t show a person with an object.” Which “Reverend Preceptor” is impeded by “Reverend Preceptor”? If he is not impeded, he must be “I.” Which “I” is impeded by “I”? Even if it is impeded, it must be “a person.” Which “object” is not obstructed by the “intention in coming from the west”? For the “object” must inevitably be the “intention in coming from the west.” Nevertheless, the “intention in coming from the west” is not dependent on the “object.” “The intention of the ancestral master’s coming from the west” is not necessarily “the treasury of the eye of the true dharma, the wondrous mind of nirvana.” It is “not the mind”; it is “not the buddha”; it is not “not a thing.”

[The monk’s] saying here, “what is the intention of the ancestral master’s coming from the west?” is not merely a question; it is not merely that “both people can see the same.” Precisely at the time he asks, he cannot see anyone; how much of himself can he get? Going further, [we can say,] he is without fault. Therefore, it is “mistake, mistake.” Because it is mistake, mistake, it is “taking a mistake as a mistake.” Is this not “to accept the hollow and entertain the echo”?

Because “the all-pervading spiritual root turns neither toward nor away,” it is “the cypress tree at the front of the garden”: if it is not an “object,” it cannot be a cypress tree; even if it is an object, it is [said,] “I don’t show a person with an object,” and “Reverend Preceptor, don’t show a person with an object.” It is not an old ancestral shrine. Since it is not an old ancestral shrine, he goes on burying. Since he goes on burying, it is “return my concentrated effort.” Since it is “return my concentrated effort,” it is [said,] “I don’t show a person with an object.” Then what else does he use to “show a person”? It must be “I’m also like this.”

http://scbs.stanford.edu/sztp3/trans...anslation.html
    No question.

A flapping flag is wind flagging is mind winding, blossom bespeaks the spring, a drop holds the taste of the whole ocean (one knows that the ocean holds every drop, yet every drop embodies the whole swirling ocean!).

Not falling into speech or thought, how does one express this tree?

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-02-2014 at 03:25 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

What tree? Bah. Quit asking silly questions and help me prepare dinner.

Gassho, Jishin

Bodhidharma in the west.

Bodhidharma is the west.

Me typing as the cypress tree.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

The cypress tree at the front of the garden.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    Last edited by Myosha; 11-01-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: The cypress tree at the front of the garden.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Precepts precipitating in bones.

Sewing rakusu?

Gassho,
    Danny
    Last edited by Jika; 10-30-2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: enthusiasm

Snow-coming light
    Slants thru cold window glass on dark
    Cat fur breathing

_/\_ Shinzan

It would be incredibly arrogant of me to think that the tree needs any help from me in expressing its own nature. Still, I would love to run my hand through its needles and smell the pungent scent of cypress.

Here, the oak leaves drift to the ground and cover it with orange gold. A girl walks across the damp leaves to her waiting car.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Something clicked with me on this koan for some reason last night. I've heard this before; I mean this koan is a famous one, but I never really understood why Joshu answered like that. What's so special about that cypress tree? Why not say, the wall I stare at when sitting zazen, or this zafu under my ass? lol

After reading the koan last night, nothing was different initially. I really just started asking What?! I was getting perturbed because even though I know there is nothing to get, I still have a stubborn habit of grabbing onto something like a bulldog until I figure it out. It's worked for me so far in life, right? So anyway, I just didn't get it. And that's when it clicked. That is a key component of my practice that I think has been lacking. I over-intellectualize Zen. I think about it or write about it way more than I experience it. It's like reading magazines on traveling but never stepping foot out of my apartment.

I'm very good at intellectualizing this stuff. I can talk about the concepts and the terms, sort of like talking about how to ride a bicycle but really never experiencing bicycling. So I can sound great, but that's not the point.

This questioner is looking for an answer, something they can know so they can say "I have it. I've earned my zen badge." I feel this because I approach it like this a lot. Like oh great, I understand emptiness now. Yeah right. hahahaha

But with zen it's all about find that edge of questioning and having the courage of not getting an easy (or ever getting) an answer. And I think a lot, so that is a challenge, but it's also a must to really taste and live this way.

So anyway, a couple weeks ago, we were discussing emptiness on the forums, and I expounded some bullshit. And Hans answered something, and, then I responded wow I thought I knew but I don't even know what I don't know. He then responded that's good. I'm paraphrasing, but I ended up thinking, why is that good?

But then last night when I read the koan, I really felt Joshu's answer. It was the same thing Hans was saying. That cypress tree is Joshu's blunt instrument of cutting off knowledge. Knowledge isn't bad of course, but Zen is about doing and living, not knowing about it. Knowing and not acting and being, will not do shit to alleviate suffering for ourselves or others. It's just armchair practice at that point. I felt this "do not know mind" last night. It feels peaceful. I feel it in zazen. It gives a freedom. I don't know but sometimes, even during zazen, I get into heated imaginary arguments... and then they pass, and it's like this cool breeze sweeps across-- that's the do not know mind. It's ok... don't hold on so tightly. You're right or you're wrong... it's ok. Nothing to take from anyone. Who is there to take from whom? I don't know how to articulate this well.

It's not a "I don't know" ,like oh man my computer broke, I'm completely out of my depth in fixing this problem. I'm limited by words, but this do not know is like "ok my computer is broken. This is interesting..." and then staying in that place of curiosity... not having to grasp for straws... not being a hungry ghost and never satisfying our craving, but staying with our dukkha and investigating it, not pushing away, not grasping... sort of like in zazen we learn the delicate balance of thinking/no-thinking.

How do you sit zazen? Cypress in the garden!

That's also why if we use that as our canned answer, it destroys the cutting edge of what Joshu is trying to say, so later on that monk has to tell the other master, look man, that's not what he was saying. He may have said those words but the point isn't "Cypress in the garden", the point is to wake up here... see your life now! Live your life, stop filtering it through your lens of like and dislike which is perpetuating the suffering you experience and the false separation in the world.

Gassho,

Risho

Breathing in and out universes breathing in and out me. The tree is found at the bottom of the ocean; a leaf in every snowflake. The scent of the cypress as eternal as your hands. Count the rings in a baby’s laughter.

Gassho
    Lisa

This Koan was the subjectless topic of the little Talk during Zazenkai this month ... from 1:42:00 here ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ur-ZAZENKAI%21

Gassho, J

I stuck the needle in my thumb and got some blood on my ever-evolving Rakusu last night.
    It's exactly the right colour now!
    Gassho

Vincent
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Quote Originally Posted by vanMeerdervoort View Post
    I stuck the needle in my thumb and got some blood on my ever-evolving Rakusu last night.
    It's exactly the right colour now!
    Gassho

Vincent
    I think Taigu mentions that at the conclusion of the process, one should intentionally rub a pinch of dirt into a spot on the Rakusu to soil it a bit. One wants to remove any doubt about its perfection. Blood does fine for that too.

Gassho, J

Hello everyone,

I decided to try to jump into the book club in part of getting more involved in the sangha.

Some of my initial thoughts with this koan had to do with a sense of seeking knowledge that isn't important, kind of like what Risho said. The idea of the question asked being wrong so you get a sort of nonsense answer. (I'm reminded of a teacher who had the phrase "Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.") I thought of the article by Bernie Glassman Roshi from our precept studies, specifically the bit about discarding the whys. Also, I thought of the story about the Buddha taking a handful of leaves. As the leaves were less in number than all the leaves of the forest, the knowledge he taught was not everything single thing he knew or every possible answer out there, but for what actually mattered in regards to Buddhist practice. So that's sort of what I was gathering together in my head, admittedly having trouble making sense of Dogen's shoobity bop bop and some of the other explanations.

Then I watched the talk from the Zazenkai. Wow.

I feel there is still much more chewing I need to do, but there is a nice feeling there. Somewhat lost, but somewhat understanding. Something's swirling, something's cooking.

That's fine. No rush. I didn't expect to get-get anything so soon.

I do kind of want to sit outside beneath a tree now.

Gassho,
    Stacy

Thank you Jundo,
    Gassho
    Myoku sat today

Hi,

What a delight! What a surprise! Kazamm! Yes the dog needs to be fed. And yet there is no dog. And no one to do the feeding. And yet this seamless dance goes on and on and on with each breath. Door swinging open, door swinging closed. No different from what I call my life. But the "my" is extra. So is the "life." So is "the Cypress Tree."

Gassho
    John
    Sat Today

Me me-ing. Cyprus tree me-ing. Cyprus tree cyprus tree-ing. Cyprus tree me-ing.

Gassho,
    Jeff #sattoday

Gassho

Vincent
    #SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kantai
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Not falling into speech or thought, how does one express this tree?

Gassho, J
    Sat Today.

Gassho
    Kantai

Very good Kantai.

Gassho, Jishin

#SatToday

BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 47

Hi all, while I sat this morning, even if I knew already, I realised this is not about the cypress tree at all

The CYPRESS tree! in the garden!

Gassho
    Vincent
    #SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat today
    Gassho Heisoku
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Willow tree at the water's edge.
    Willow_Tree.jpg
    AL (Jigen) in:
    Faith/Trust
    Courage/Love
    Awareness/Action!

I sat today