Thread: My Article on "Zen At War" Brian Victoria and Kodo Sawaki

My Article on "Zen At War" Brian Victoria and Kodo Sawaki

The following is only if you are interested in the topic ...

Many folks know the book "Zen At War" and other writings of Brian Victoria, implicating various Zen and other Buddhist Teachers and institutions in the years up to and during WW2 for their supposed militarism. In some cases, he is right. However, he has also implicated some people in ways, and to degrees, they certainly do not deserve, and Victoria has done so by a sometimes egregious manipulation and misuse of translations and other "evidence".

I have written an earlier article pointing out critics of Victoria's methods in his treatment of D.T. Suzuki and others.

“ZEN AT WAR” AUTHOR BRIAN VICTORIA’S WAR ON ZEN
    http://sweepingzen.com/zen-war-autho...r-jundo-cohen/

This time, I focus on Victoria's treatment and mistreatment of "Homeless" Kodo Sawaki. I have written a 38 page report examining Victoria’s use and misuse of quotes, original sources, translations and other materials in his writings regarding“Homeless” Kodo Sawaki. The following link contains a shorter summary of the content of my report that has been published at SweepingZen. Please have a look if interested.

“ZEN AT WAR” BRIAN VICTORIA: THROWING BOMBS AT KODO
    http://sweepingzen.com/zen-at-war-br...y-jundo-cohen/

I also deal frankly with many of Sawaki's wartime statements.

[The] situation with Sawaki is complicated. On the one hand, there is no doubt that Sawaki was a patriotic Japanese who supported his country, its Emperor and its troops in battle during wartime and in no uncertain terms. He interpreted various Buddhist and Zen doctrines in order to do so in a way many of us (I am one) may find often wrong and shocking. On the other hand, we have a man who – even during the height of World War II – spoke out against war itself, its futility, and underlined the need for soldiers compelled into battle to act with compassion, honor, selflessness and mercy to their opponents as the situation will allow. … Sawaki also used Buddhist or Zen doctrines to counsel for the avoidance of war and, if there is to be a war nonetheless, the avoidance of excess and reckless violence. If Sawaki was supportive of Japan’s effort during the war, it seems reluctantly (if sometimes too passionately) and with a sense that Japan was fighting a war for its own survival and defense.

Unfortunately, in his attempt to paint Kodo Sawaki black, Brian Victoria has confused loyalty to one’s country with rabid militarism, and has failed to sufficiently emphasize the anti-war aspects of Sawaki’s personality. Victoria has done this by neglecting or taking out of context quotes (to such a degree that one must sometimes consider the intentionality behind his doing so) which otherwise show that Sawaki had deep reservations about all war, including Japan’s wars throughout history. Victoria has surgically removed quotes so as to omit material showing that, even in writings most supportive of his country and its troops in times of war, Sawaki was frequently and simultaneously a strong and outspoken critic.
    In the future, if Victoria's criticisms of the Japanese Buddhist establishment and certain figures are ever mentioned, it will be necessary to also consider Victoria's motives and manipulations too.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-02-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you! I can't wait to check this out.

Gassho,

Risho

". .
    uncover wrongs, reflect and atone. . ."

Hear, hear!

Gassho,
    Myosha
    Last edited by Myosha; 10-02-2014 at 08:36 PM.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Thank you Jundo,

This is going to be my bedtime reading. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you Jundo.

Everything about WWII and Sawaki Roshi and zen is of my interest. I'll read it over the weekend.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I will be reading it soon. Thank you Jundo.

Gassho
    Bobby
    Just Sit

I know little of Kodo Sawaki. What was that little book that included him among three biographies of zen masters?
    So I'll check out these links too. Thanks.
    Shinzan

I just got sucked into a lot of reading over at Sweeping Zen. Thank you for your effort, Jundo.

Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Nindo
    Thank you, but I prefer to not dig into this whole topic.

There is a book due out soon, The Teachings of Homeless Kodo (not sure of the title).

Gassho,

Kirk

(Posted from my iPhone; please excuse any typos or brevity.)
    流文

I know nothing.

Oh yeah, I found it. The earlier book about zen master biographies is,

Living and Dying in Zazen, Five Zen Masters of Modern Japan by Arthur Braverman

It includes Sodo Yokoyama, Kodo Sawaki, Kozan Kato, Motoko Idebe, Joshin Kasai (sewing teacher) and Kosho Uchiyama. A very interesting read. I have the new Sawaki book on order. Can't wait.

_/\_ Shinzan

Yes, a wonderful book capturing the flavor of that circle of Teachers, and Kodo Sawaki who was so influential on Nishijima Roshi as a young man.

Gassho, J

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzan View Post
    Oh yeah, I found it. The earlier book about zen master biographies is,

Living and Dying in Zazen, Five Zen Masters of Modern Japan by Arthur Braverman

It includes Sodo Yokoyama, Kodo Sawaki, Kozan Kato, Motoko Idebe, Joshin Kasai (sewing teacher) and Kosho Uchiyama. A very interesting read. I have the new Sawaki book on order. Can't wait.

_/\_ Shinzan
    Thank you Shinzan, I have added this book to my list. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    . . . and Kodo Sawaki who was so influential on Nishijima Roshi as a young man.

Gassho, J
    Excerpt from upcoming book - http://antaiji.org/?page_id=4084&lang=en

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you Jundo,
    its always difficult to write on history, so many sources, so many different views and things are never clear. What is of same importance, so it seems to me, is to not write about someone in a way that makes a good story but forgets about what really happened. Thank you for having a look at this and repairing what others broke,
    Gassho
    Myoku

Quote Originally Posted by Myoku View Post
    Thank you Jundo,
    its always difficult to write on history, so many sources, so many different views and things are never clear. What is of same importance, so it seems to me, is to not write about someone in a way that makes a good story but forgets about what really happened. Thank you for having a look at this and repairing what others broke,
    Gassho
    Myoku
    I believe that this Brian Victoria fellow is intellectually dishonest. Handling translations the way he does can only be termed an intentional hatchet job.

Gassho, Jundo

Victoria seems very keen to uncover some dark past of the subjects he examines. I must admit, his latest article about the letter Suzuki wrote about his impressions of Nazi Germany is very interesting. Sadly the almost hysterical tone and giant leaps of assumption spoil what could be an interesting study. He offers two translations but warns that the one contradicting his own vieuws is biased. Interesting way of doing things.

Why does this man so desperately wants to prove a connection between famous Zen teachers and Nazism is unclear to me? Is he out to get someone or the sangha as a whole? I dont understand his motives.

Although I must say that, reading the online comments and discussion on his articles it does not seem to bring out the best in people. So much anger and resentment there that it does not paint a pretty picture, but maybe its just me.
    Last edited by MyoHo; 10-07-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    Mu

Phone doing its own, sorry.

Gassho

Myoho
    Mu

... I see. how sad this is. May Victoria find peace for the benefit of all beings.
    Gassho
    Myoku

Metta to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today

Hello,

just a quick thank you for all your thoughtful comments. I have nothing to add.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen
    #sat today

Excellent article and substantiating report. As with MyoHo, not understanding the motives to manipulate/fragment the translations to paint such a picture...

Gassho,
    Jon
    #SatToday

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Resurrecting this old thread with some new reading material for those that may be interested.

Hans-Joachim Bieber has published a response to Brian Victoria's January 2016 article "The Zen of Hitler Jugend":
    http://apjjf.org//2016/12/Bieber.html

Brian Victoria's article:
    http://apjjf.org/2016/02/2-Victoria.html

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I will be returning to publishing some further criticisms of Brian Victoria sometime soon. He overstates, engages in guilt by association, too broad a brush. Some smoke, sometimes fire, but rarely as much as he makes it.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-20-2016 at 02:57 AM.